Thoughts from a stray; a poem

lowtech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came across this short poem in a pamphlet published by the (then named) Cats Protection League (UK)

Thoughts from a Stray

Will she be there when I call?

I sometimes come in vain

And sit for hours with folded paws

Even in the rain

It's not that I have other things

To do but wait, and yet

I often feel unhappy

In case she should forget.

For many years I've called each day

With hunger, thirst and hope.

She is the only friend I have

Who gives me strength to cope.

Although I've always lived alone

And sleep beneath the sky,

I need to know that someone cares

If I should live or die.

auth. Sally Lunn (Solihull, UK)

The author -a friend of my mum- was a writer and a cat lover, and put together a short book of related poems for CPL. I'm sure many of this forum would align with her sentiments for cat care in this and her other poems.

With acknowlegements to Cats Protection, Reg Charity 203644 (England and Wales) and SC037711 (Scotland) Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT; pub. "Cats, No Less" anthology of cat verse, Sally Lunn

Colin

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful........ My heart cries for all those who will never know the comfort of a warm home or the softness of a lap. They live day in and day out, hungry, scared and unwanted. But until only the wanted are born into this world, until spaying and neutering are common, this will continue. And my heart will continue to break for what they have lost or will never have. May God have mercy on them all.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lowtech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you greatly.

I'm missing our wonderful George (my avatar) who died last year. He was a 'rescue' and ours for 9 years. We've looked at more 'rescue' cats but I'm not sure I'm ready. George saw us through a dreadful family experience (I think he knew it) and there's still strong memories...

Colin