Thoughts And Advice Please!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Griffin? Is he still a kitten or near kitten age? If so, he may just be wanting to play, and may outgrow it. Or he may fancy himself an alpha male, who wants to let Rosie know he's in charge, and unless she smacks him back a few times, the bullying will persist and it would be a good idea to return him to his foster mom.

I really believe that most cats are happier if they have a feline companion to play and snuggle with. Perhaps if you get another kitty, it should be an older, mellow cat. Could you spend time with another potential companion for Rosie before bringing the cat into your house so you can see the personality? I know that might not be possible for you with everything else that's going on.

Let us know how things go. I know how tough these kinds of decisions are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Msaimee,

Thanks! Griffin is about 8 months to a year old. I think it's both. He does want to play, he loves to play, but he is also trying to be an alpha male. It's tough because he's super sweet with people, and actually, Rosie hasn't been aggressive towards him at all. But she does seem bummed out. She is not interacting with me as much, which I really miss.

Rosie was used to an older cat. We had Henry before; he was 16 when they met. They got on beautifully. I also wondered about a kitten for her, one fairly young, so that there is no question about who is alpha.

I did spend time with Griff and he seemed very sweet and mellow at the fosterers'. But I'd rather have no second cat, than to have Rose feeling out of sorts or bullied. We will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't get better, I may have to bring him back. Thanks again for the support.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Bruce. Griff is about a year old, with a few pounds over Rosie, so the aggression does worry me a bit. And she is not interacting with me as much, which I also miss. But point taken, it may be that they do get on with time. I think I'm going to see how we do over a few weeks. I should have some indication by then.Thank you.