Those of you with siblings....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 brother who is 5 1/2 years older than me.

We've never been particularly close. There was a couple of years back in the early 1990's where we seemed to actually grow closer and saw each other pretty regularly. He even asked for my help to clean his apartment when he was moving out, which was a first from him!

However, he met a girl in about 1993 or so who has 14 brothers and sisters and they are a very close knit family and she spends a great deal of time with them, and of course because my brother and her live together he goes along with her to all of her family gatherings etc. So between her family, his work, his part time business, them travelling and their own private interests, we don't see or talk to each other very often...rarely in fact.

They live about 10 minute drive from me and I see them maybe once per year...and one time didn't see them at all of 4 years. If we talk on the phone more than 2 times per year we're doing good!

It's actually to a point where I don't care whether I see or talk to him at all anymore. Since I rarely see or talk to him he's a virtual stranger to me and I feel very uncomfortable going to his house. It's like visiting a stranger.

And TBH unless someone mentions the term "brother", most days I don't even think about him at all. So because of that I can't say that I try to foster a sibling relationship with him, because I don't. And neither does he.

However, I do talk to his ex wife frequently, at least one or more times per week and we go shopping and to lunch often. In fact when I first got home from the hospital she was the one who was coming to take me grocery shopping etc and calling to see how I was doing while my brother never called me to even see if I was alive.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't talked to my two older sisters in years. We just don't get along and it's better that way. My brothers and I are on talking terms but they live so far away its had to get in a conversation.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of my 3 living siblings I am closest with my sister but we are not close friends. I was closest with my younger brother but he passed away. As for my older brother I never hear from him and my youngest brother is 14 years younger than me and I see him a few times a year.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two older half sisters and one younger sister. My oldest half sister is almost 30 years older than me... and I have never met her. She doesn't live too far away from what I'm told, in fact we're going down to where she lives in about a week and a half for John's family reunion. I could probably look her up, but after 21 years she's had no interest in finding me so why bother? My other half sister is 16 years older than me, and we get along but aren't really close. However, I am extremely close to my niece who will be 14 this year. My younger sister is 10, and we don't get along in the least way. When I was still living at home, she was allowed and encouraged to beat me up on a daily basis... she is a very spoiled child and is very much a bully.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one younger brother that I do not speak to because he is a supreme, class A you know what, and I dislike him INTENSELY.

Some people have asked me why I don't make an effort to reach out to him and the honest truth is, I have in the past, and you can only be ill-treated by someone for so long before you wise up and move on.

My life is better WITHOUT him in it, so that's the way I choose to keep it.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an older sibling, a sister. Was never close to her as a child (she hated me from the minute I emerged) and we fought like MAD as teens. We are polar opposites about everything under the sun, we don't even look like we came from the same sperm & egg.

Here in our 30's we're still not close. Just not a possibility. No biggie though.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am 1 of 7 others. I have 3 older sisters, 1 older brother and 2 younger brothers. (Yes I know, big family.) Since both parents are deceased, I am not really close to any of them. We still talk on an occasion, but not too often. Seems like everyone is always busy w/their own lil families, that we don't have time for each other.
They all live here in the same town as I do. But for some strange reason after my parents both died, everyone kind of went their on separate ways!
I haven't seen any of them since a year ago this past Christmas, and sometimes I really miss them!