Those of you who eat steak, how do you like yours cooked???

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to check Other because it depends...on my mood, where/how it's cooked.

At home, if my husband is grilling and it's a rib-eye, I like it towards well done just because of the flavors of it's being grilled.

Cooking a rib-eye indoors, I like it rare to medium rare (and order medium rare if eating at a restaurant).

If it's say skirt steak that I've marinated for cooking on the grill, I like it medium to medium well

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rare, but only when marinated properly, them flame kissed on each side.....

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Just curious!
For those of you who eat steak on occassion, how do you like yours cooked? I'm a medium well kinda girl myself!
Ditto! As a matter of fact we are having steak tonight for dinner.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it medium rare. At the point that it's still pink without blood running out of it! Up until a couple years ago I used to always eat steak or roast beef only when it was well done. If there was even a tinge of pink in it I wouldn't eat it.

Hamburgers have to be cooked 100% well done with absolutely no pink. Not only because that's how I like them, but also for health reasons related to ecoli bacteria.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done.

I'm overly paranoid about food poisoning and tend to have bad luck, so I'm not going to push it.

DH's father usually cooks steaks, even at well done - they're not tough or dry. Maybe it depends on the cut used and exactly how it's cooked?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends where I am; in Ireland I ask for medium rare as they tend to overcook it a little. If I'm in a French restaurant or a country on the continent I'll ask for medium. I'd rather it underdone than overdone though!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

It depends where I am; in Ireland I ask for medium rare as they tend to overcook it a little. If I'm in a French restaurant or a country on the continent I'll ask for medium. I'd rather it underdone than overdone though!
Exactly my thoughts. I grew up only ever having experienced well-done meat. Now that I've been introduced to better quality meat, I would ask for medium to medium rare.

I agree with the above poster about hamburger though - I want that thoroughly cooked and I do love a good pot roast which is always well-done but tender and delicious. I'm starting to drool just thinking about pot roast.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well done! Had a first date with a guy. We ordered steak, his very rare and mine well-done. I had never seen anyone eat rare before this
Watching him chase that poor cow around the plate just about made me lose my, umm, cookies. Of course he had to make comments about how ya tell the cook to slap it on the head, then the butt and put in on the plate. All in all, too much for me, and I grew up a farm kid!

And, no, he did not get a good night kiss

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I voted other, because it depends on the cut of meat for me.
filet- rare and pan seared on the outside
sirloins, ribeyes etc- medium rare
Flat Iron (if you havent tried them you are so missing out) are best and most tender at medium. I broil them after marinating in either red wine or teriaki marinade.
Burgers- medium well

well done is something i forgot about, and it usually makes the dogs smile

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

Same here, I find my steak is always too well done when I visit relatives in Ireland even if I say medium-rare, but a rare steak comes barely heated

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be 2 graphic I like mine a hop, skip and a jump away from mooing. So anywhere from rare to medium rare is perfect for me. Hubby hates that I cook mine that way because he likes his practically char boiled...ick.