Thor - not eating much, refuses water...I'm worried!

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Pill Pockets (vet or pet store) or a moist treat to see if you can hide the pill in that; some have success with cheese.  If it doesn't have a strong odor and is ok to crush (did vet say?), mix in with wet food.  If he won't eat at all & you have to "pill" him, try to hold his mouth open with one hand (push near his back teeth), then drop the pill in with the other and immediately stroke his throat several times until he swallows at least once.  If possible then get him to eat or drink something to make sure it goes down. 

Good luck!  How old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick update...

No luck with pill pockets yesterday. We have a pill "gun" that shoots the pill into the back of the throat, but we had to give him a syringe with water soon after. We only managed to get half a pill down him (you're not supposed to crush/break it I read later.. oops!)

Took him to another vet this morning because he still wasn't drinking and the jaundice was looking worse. She said he was profoundly jaundiced and very sick. His ATC (?) levels were 600-something and they're supposed to be below 100 -- yikes :(  He's at the hospital now getting some saline through an IV, and they're going to put a feeding tube in him.  They also took X-rays and did an ultrasound. They said his bladder was HUGE and if they couldn't get him to pee, they would have to do a catheter, but the vet didn't seem concerned about him not peeing.

I think this new vet is much better equipped to handle cats, and she knew right away what was wrong.

He's not out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful. Has anyone else's furbaby gone through such liver trouble like this? Please say a prayer for my big guy. It's now in the hands of God and the doctors <3

BTW, Thor is 6 1/2 years old and weights 20 lbs

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor little Thor, sorry it's all going on for the little fella. Be rooting for him and hope he's ok at hospital. Keeping everything crossed x

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that's young.  Well hopefully that'll help him recover better! :)  New vet sounds good.  Sent a prayer!

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We appreciate all the healing vibes and good thoughts!

This is my favorite picture of my big storm cloud:

And here he is with the rest of the family, my hubby and his "sister" Pandora <3

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitty went through fatty liver and had a feeding tube.  It took awhile but he got through it.  He didn't have the bladder involvement but I know kitties do tend to carry stress in their bladder.  Hopefully that part of it is stress from being sick  The ALT will probably go higher, my kitties went up to 1200.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What causes the numbers to go higher?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ALT is a measurement of an enzyme that liver cells release when they die.  I think it's a combination of the disease itself and an accumulation of that enzyme in the bloodstream.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that sounds bad...

Thor's was 600 at last check, stopped by to see him today. He's got the feeding tube in and is tolerating the feedings very well. He still acts like he feels terrible...just so tired and probably pretty weak too. I wish I could do more for him. But deep down, I hope he knows we're pullin' for him <3