This Why I Named Her Hidey

Indy's Dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a new hiding spot for her. It is so tight that she can't groom herself while her. She started using this spot during the rain but has stayed there all the time except to eat for the last week even when the weather was nice. I dragged her out twice and made her go outside which ditn't bother her but as soon as she was back in the house she would go there.

Hidey Hideing on Shelf.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Indy's Dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My best guess at her age is 8 years. No other pets just the wild animals that live around here. I am nothing but kind and gentle with her. She has been like this since day one. Usually it takes several weeks to get to know the cat before I decide on a name. With Hidey it was day one. There has only been a brief period last year where she would stay near me when in the house. I was hoping that it was a turning point but it looks like that is not the case. She is perfectly calm and happy when outside. She just hangs out in the yard with no attempt to hide and calls out to me to pet her when I walk near her.

I think that she was pregnant when she was brought to the shelter and they took her babies away when she was fixed. That must have been heart breaking for the person who had to perform the operation. This might have messed her up psychologically. She may have been feral and does not fully trust me unless she has an escape route like when we are outside.

Indy's Dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Follow-up: I had to drag her out of her cubby hole several times over a period of a week and put her outside to enjoy the, soon-to-be-rare, beautiful day. After that she would come out on her own occasionally. Now she sleeps in the living room although out of sight when I am on the couch. Whenever I walk by her she meows sweetly for me to pet her when she will purr loudly.

She still won't snuggle with me. I pick her up so that her butt (with her tail covering the dirty part)is on my right hand and her back is against my right arm. She'll be so sweet purring loudly and kneading the air or my arm. As soon as she realizes that I am about sit on the couch with her, she scream out like I am torturing her and struggle to get away. So strange.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
if her butt is dirty you will need to clean it. clip carefully with scissors-they sell blunt point ones=if she is long hair this is something we need to do once a month. cut the hairs around the anus and on back of legs. If you have a vet close by drop her off and ask for a hygiene clip. This will keep both of you more comfortable.

If no vet-a warm wet washcloth laid down on top of soiled fur for five minutes softns the mess up then wipe off with another warm wet washcloth. If you don't keep it clean it can cause urinary infections and rashes on her skin around her privates. Very uncomfortable for her.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's going to be fine. If she didn't trust you, you wouldn't be able to get her back inside. She will establish her own normal.

She's cute too. :loveeyes:

Indy's Dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if her butt is dirty you will need to clean it. clip carefully with scissors-they sell blunt point ones=if she is long hair this is something we need to do once a month. cut the hairs around the anus and on back of legs. If you have a vet close by drop her off and ask for a hygiene clip. This will keep both of you more comfortable.

If no vet-a warm wet washcloth laid down on top of soiled fur for five minutes softns the mess up then wipe off with another warm wet washcloth. If you don't keep it clean it can cause urinary infections and rashes on her skin around her privates. Very uncomfortable for her.

Thanks for your concern and the detailed instructions. However, I was using the term "dirty spot" as a euphemism for her butt hole. I push her tail down over it when I pick her up as a barrier between my hand and her butt hole. There is actually nothing dirty about that area at all.