this really gets my father's ruffled

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... did I ever tell you about my uncle when he got a $50 fine? When he was young, and this is way back in the 1970s, he was scheduled for a hearing in a court... I don't rememeber exactly what was the reason he was cited. The thing is, he arrived late. And the judge gave a $50 fine for arriving late, saying that "you don't go to court in a hurry".

He came the next day to the court, to pay the money to the secretary of the court.

A bag full of pennies, amounting to exactly USD $50. His words: You don't go to court in a hurry.
And yes, they HAD to accept it, and the secretary had to sit down and count it.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

So what if I put my money on the counter. I might not want to touch the dirty old person serving anyway.
It is not hard to drop it in someone's hand without actually touching them.

Dump a bunch of change on a dirty, stainless steel counter and pick it all up. Over and over and over again. Maybe you'll understand why cashiers get annoyed by it.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have a real thing about that, too!! I would never do that - it's the same as treating someone like a servant, IMHO!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

So what if I put my money on the counter. I might not want to touch the dirty old person serving anyway.
Good Lord that's a bit harsh!! Do you see all people in service industries in such a negative light?? I hope you don't have any servants at your house...lol

And money itself is much, MUCH dirtier than any person you could touch...

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

And money itself is much, MUCH dirtier than any person you could touch...
I don't know about all that.
I spent a couple of summers cashiering and man some of those people were FILTHY. I worked at a Rite-Aid one summer, and there were these nasty, dirty, smelly drunks who would come in every day and buy their 5th of the cheapest liquor in the store. And they ALL thought it was okay to hit on the girl behind the counter (me).

Some of them I would much rather have dropping their money on the counter than in my hand. Men were always trying to rub my palm whenI held my hand out to take their money, so I stopped doing it.
Also....
I HATED it when people would pay in nothing but change!! Some of them wouldn't count it out and would just toss a handful at me. I always refused to take it before they counted it out. lol And my manager backed me up.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems fair enough - I don't know how I'd react if someone I didn't know was trying to hit on me...

When I worked as a checkout chick (lol) during university, there were so many different types of customer. It irritated me when people put money down on the counter if I was already holding my hand out, but not if I was finishing off the sale or something. I just think it's nicer manners to hand something to someone rather than just plonk it down in front of them and expect them to pick it up like a servant!!

But one time I remember this person paid about $25 in five and ten cent pieces - laid out one by one on the counter!!!. I remember getting very frustrated and angry at the time - it was Christmas I think and there were tons of people in the line behind this customer. In hindsight I remember thinking I should've refused - I mean, how hard is it to walk into a bank and get the money changed first?? The people behind this customer were blowing steam out their ears by the time it was all over...lol!!!

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bumpy

That does not seem to be plausible. Most likely it is the shop owners who has the power to decide the form of payment he wants rather than payment over a certain amount suddenly making it not legal tender. It operates on the same idea as some shops rejecting notes above a certain value.

Actually I prefer it if they place it on the counter, especially if it is a mixture of coins and notes. That way I do not have to juggle my wallet and cash.
I'll have to find a more precise link, but wikipedia actually states that:

"UK coinage is legal tender, but not in unlimited amounts for coins below £1"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_t...land_and_Wales

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aha! British Royal Mint website states:

"Circulating Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p"

Royal Mint

So it's even less than the £10 I stated earlier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

Hmm... did I ever tell you about my uncle when he got a $50 fine? When he was young, and this is way back in the 1970s, he was scheduled for a hearing in a court... I don't rememeber exactly what was the reason he was cited. The thing is, he arrived late. And the judge gave a $50 fine for arriving late, saying that "you don't go to court in a hurry".

He came the next day to the court, to pay the money to the secretary of the court.

A bag full of pennies, amounting to exactly USD $50. His words: You don't go to court in a hurry.
And yes, they HAD to accept it, and the secretary had to sit down and count it.
thats funny

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Waddle

It is not hard to drop it in someone's hand without actually touching them.

Dump a bunch of change on a dirty, stainless steel counter and pick it all up. Over and over and over again. Maybe you'll understand why cashiers get annoyed by it.
yep and the bad part is everytime rather its change or bills we keep washing are hands so we can scoop ice cream

I hope you guys out here dont think im a mean person cause i said all of this but i guess its been so busy lately and i have delt with some really rude people this week but you always got to smile no matter what

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondiecat

I would put their change on the counter in a heartbeat. That is kind of rude for them to put the change on the counter for you to pick up.
Me too Cathi!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is rude to ignore an outstretched hand. What are they trying to imply by not putting it your hand?!
I always get a little annoyed at the library when the librarian puts my card back down on the counter instead of my hand. It's annoying to pick up without long nails! And I thought I was just being weird!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All you have to do is put your finger tips ON the change, starting with the largest one (like a quarter or 50 cent peice) and bring it into your other hand. NO problem!

With pennies do 5 at a time. I have been a cashier for many years and it has never been a p roblem.

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you'll never belive it today at work i was doing the donut pull and theses three little girls came up to the counter with three big jaw breakers! they asked me how much it would be i said well around $2.70
ok now heres the good part they pulled out a baggie of pennies i started laughing and there mom came over to see what was going on
I told her yesturday i posted on the cat site about laying change on the counter i said ok who from the cat site sent you here
i could not stop laughing i had tears in my eyes i kept telling her about all the reply i got on the change on the counter good and bad
so i then had to explain to them what the cat site was and what it was about
so i wrote the web address down and gave it to them so when they get back to washington they are going to look it up

By the way i counted 200 pennies and 3 dimes and a nickle
also they were short and didnt say anything i just put the rest of the money in from my pocket.
you just had to be there to relize how funny this was after i posted this yesturday

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you'll never belive it today at work i was doing the donut pull and theses three little girls came up to the counter with three big jaw breakers! they asked me how much it would be i said well around $2.70
ok now heres the good part they pulled out a baggie of pennies i started laughing and there mom came over to see what was going on
I told her yesturday i posted on the cat site about laying change on the counter i said ok who from the cat site sent you here
i could not stop laughing i had tears in my eyes i kept telling her about all the reply i got on the change on the counter good and bad
so i then had to explain to them what the cat site was and what it was about
so i wrote the web address down and gave it to them so when they get back to washington they are going to look it up

By the way i counted 200 pennies and 3 dimes and a nickle
also they were short and didnt say anything i just put the rest of the money in from my pocket.
you just had to be there to relize how funny this was after i posted this yesturday