This might be a silly question but a question nonetheless...

cosmiccosmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The new 3month old kitten, LEO , eats from the older cat, COSMO's bowl. He does not eat out of his own bowl!! So, I know it is very important to give LEO kitten food as he is a baby. Normally, COSMO eats indoor cat formula of NUTRO (reduces poop smell, by the way!!) and I was giving the kitty the kitten formula NUTRO. Is it ok for a while if I just use kitten food so the baby gets the necessary nutrients? Will it hurt the older cat? Any other solutions? By the way, I keep the food out all day . As alway, thanks everyone!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have the same problem I did when we brought Molly home
they always want what the other kitties have

What I did was mix the 2 types of dry chows together so that everyone was getting what they needed (as long as the adult dry chows aren't so big that they are a possible choking hazard to the little one)

Someone else might have a better idea..but that's what we did

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your older cat is overweight or has a tendency to gain weight, you may not want to give him access to the kitten food (especially if you free-feed), which is higher in calories. With some cats, mixing might not make much of a difference, but I have one who would bulk up very quickly if I gave him kitten food. (I bet he'd love it, though!)

I know some foods are labeled as "all stages" - maybe that's another option?

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten gets fed the same foods my adult including mt 15 year old cat gets
Canned foods no grains no gravy

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had been wondering about a kitten eating adult food as well. I asked my Vet, and she said that a kitten really should eat kitten food because it has higher concentration of phospherous and calcium (I believe), that a growing kitten needs.

I don't always believe the food advice from a Vet since they seem to be lacking in that category...but something must be different between kitten food and adult food...or the companies wouldn't make the two kinds.

I wouldn't want my kittens to be deficient in anything they need, so I feed them kitten wet food and make sure that they eat it (which they do), then I don't worry about the amount of kibble that they eat.

Hope that helps!!