This Mad Cow stuff has me scared

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love beef, infact Roast Beef is on the menu tonight, However if this happened over in my country, I think I would stop eating beef for awhile. But like others have said the Media Hype is too much!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Jeeperscat and Kev - been there, done that before. When BSE was finally diagnosed here in Europe, there was an incredible amount of panicmongering in the media, e.g., Is it safe to eat Gummi Bears?, Doesn't milk chocolate contain steer blood?. Once controls were in place, and it became apparent that the predictions of hundreds of thousands of people dying of vCJ (variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease) were exaggerated, people went back to eating beef. More stringent controls are needed in both the U.S. and Canada, and I believe they will be put in place very quickly to protect the industry. If you are really worried about BSE, there are things you can do to make the chances of you or your cats contracting vCJ or FSE (feline spongiform encephalopathy; there have been no reports of canines being infected) extremely slight. Buy only choice cuts - buy ground sirloin instead of run-of-the-mill hamburger -, buy organic meat only (we do this, primarily to protest "factory farming"), and buy pet food that is made of "human grade" meat or no beef at all. Most of the premium brands that use human grade meat are made in the U.S. or Canada, so you have a wide selection. There is absolutely no reason to panic, or to become a vegetarian over night.