This Kitten Can't Make Up It's Mind!!!

vicky271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We'd prefer to keep our cats on the kibble and soft food. But the youngest, Oreo, is driving me absolutely insane. We bought kibble, one of the brands they feed the kittens at the store, and he barely touches it. So I tried to get him to eat some wet food because he really liked that. I just wanted him to eat something. And now he's got some close to diarrhea. But going back to kibble majority means he won't eat much :/ It's rather infuriating. I was thinking of calling the pet store and asking them for names of other brands and trying those. I don't want to starve him.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what are you feeding? wet and dry? All of my kittens were big fans of the Merrick kitten kibble. They also like the Merrick kitten wet food. And Fancy feast turkey kitten food. But any wet that is all life stages should work. Smaller minced pieces, like nutro chicken and the nutro turkey, fancy feast classics or the fancy feast grilled. or any of the pate foods..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vicky271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what are you feeding? wet and dry? All of my kittens were big fans of the Merrick kitten kibble. They also like the Merrick kitten wet food. And Fancy feast turkey kitten food. But any wet that is all life stages should work. Smaller minced pieces, like nutro chicken and the nutro turkey, fancy feast classics or the fancy feast grilled. or any of the pate foods..
Wet and dry. But he only eats the wet! We're feeding him kitten versions of both. It's called White Earth? I think.

How old is he?
He just turned eight weeks. The store told us that they feed the kittens a variety of kibble so owners can pick one when they purchase the kitten,

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet and dry. But he only eats the wet! We're feeding him kitten versions of both. It's called White Earth? I think.

He just turned eight weeks. The store told us that they feed the kittens a variety of kibble so owners can pick one when they purchase the kitten,
Maybe whole earth? i think it is also made by Merrick, just not their top shelf food. Maybe next time you pick up dry kitten try the Merrick kitten formula. And wet food should be good for him, i would feed him all the wet he will eat. And keep kibble out all the time.

If the Diarrhea continues he will definitely need the vet. Could be something like coccidia? I dont remember if you said in a post that they have been to the vet recently?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed most kittens don't really get the hang of dry food until around 12 weeks---some earlier, some later. So it's fine for him to only have canned food for now. He'll get the hang of it eventually.

vicky271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe whole earth? i think it is also made by Merrick, just not their top shelf food. Maybe next time you pick up dry kitten try the Merrick kitten formula. And wet food should be good for him, i would feed him all the wet he will eat. And keep kibble out all the time.

If the Diarrhea continues he will definitely need the vet. Could be something like coccidia? I dont remember if you said in a post that they have been to the vet recently?
Yes! Whole Earth!

We're going to see if they can squeeze us in with the vet tomorrow. Better safe than sorry! ^^

vicky271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've noticed most kittens don't really get the hang of dry food until around 12 weeks---some earlier, some later. So it's fine for him to only have canned food for now. He'll get the hang of it eventually.
That's a good piece of information. I'll keep it tucked away in my brain! Thank you ^^

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet check is what I would do too. Some cats get diarrhea from quick food changes. (This is actually how I found TCS when my 2 were small.) Or just when certain things don't agree with them. But being so young and new to your home; I'd want a good checkup for him myself!

vicky271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A vet check is what I would do too. Some cats get diarrhea from quick food changes. (This is actually how I found TCS when my 2 were small.) Or just when certain things don't agree with them. But being so young and new to your home; I'd want a good checkup for him myself!
Thanks for the advice/feedback. We called this morning, and they gave us some tips and told us if it persists today, to bring Oreo in with Poppy tomorrow!