This isnt right......................

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

Just re-red it, and they are selling what they have collected but i still feel this is wrong that they are exploiting bengal cats fur or something......
It is just shed hair. It is very weird, but they're not selling bengal fur coats for toddlers, or sending the cats themselves through the mail. I fail to see where the injustice is here. The thought that I could mak money by packaging one of the cat-hair tumbleweeds my girl has in almost every unreachable corner of the house is actually pretty hilarious.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome!

I first saw it when the auction was still live.
I used to check it almost hourly for updates LOL
I was literally crying from laughing so hard.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you will notice, it is in the category of "test auctions." Some times people just want to test how their HTML and other aspects of their page design is going to work out and they just put something goofy up as their test page. Sometimes, too, something a bit goofy or downright outrageous will be used as a drawing card to get people to look at one's other auctions. A few years ago when I was actively marketing my patchwork clothing on eBay, those of us on the eBay clothing and accessories message board would periodically have a competition where those who wished to do so would enter something goofy as a listing. Then whoever got the highest bid on their goofy listing won the contest. The only thing I ever entered was a mug shaped like a toilet, which I advertised as a gag gift for "potty mouth." But I could easily see putting cat hair in the contest. Advertise it as an offering for the birds to assist their nest building. Sounds like just harmless fun to me.
Yup. That's the way I took it.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd buy it!!

Originally Posted by katl8e

For many years, people have collected hair from their pets, spun it into yarn and knitted/crocheted garments from it. This is particularly successful with Afghan hounds and other long-haired dogs - so, why not cats?

I have a large bag of cat fur - which i've been collecting for years! I am hoping that when I have enough, I'll be able to spin and knit something with it!

Okay, so you all think i'm odd now!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmn........I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this sweetie:

you're wierd!
aaah but you know I don't mean it maliciously!

...but there you go, when you think about it, all it really goes to prove is that people are wonderfully different from one another. where one person thinks it's wierd, one person thinks it's perfectly normal.... it's all about perception!

I love you guys, every time I talk to you guys I learn something new (I keep this up and I'm going to be a walking encyclopedia one day)

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Hrmn........I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this sweetie:

you're wierd!
aaah but you know I don't mean it maliciously!

...but there you go, when you think about it, all it really goes to prove is that people are wonderfully different from one another. where one person thinks it's wierd, one person thinks it's perfectly normal.... it's all about perception!

I love you guys, every time I talk to you guys I learn something new (I keep this up and I'm going to be a walking encyclopedia one day)
No worries, Emma!!
I know I'm weird and I wouldn't have it any other way!!
I must have a very strange perception on things - or so most would think!!
plus, I know you wouldn't say it in a malicious way!

I did find it funny when the title said 'this isn't right....'
I was thinking....erm....seems okay to me!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you really saving it Sarah?!.

I never thought with you being an artist, but thinking logically now i can see you knitting a jumper and have it hanging up at your next show!

If you want me to keep mine out the brush just let me know

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Are you really saving it Sarah?!.

I never thought with you being an artist, but thinking logically now i can see you knitting a jumper and have it hanging up at your next show!

If you want me to keep mine out the brush just let me know
Yes I am! I even have a separate bag of Charlie's fur!

It is the plan that it could be in my next show - you know me oh too well, Susan!

If you wouldn't mind saving it, I would love to have it!
The more the merrier!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok i'll start giving them an extra couple of brushes every night telling them it's for a jumper their auntie Sarahs knitting

I can see me on the train now for our meet up with a Marks and Spencers carrier bag full of fur

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Susan!

Oh, now that would be funny!
People would wonder what was in the bag and definitely think you were a crazy cat lady when you showed it to them!

Or I'll be wearing my cat hair jumper for the meet up!
At least you'll all be able to recognise me in the station!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

For many years, people have collected hair from their pets, spun it into yarn and knitted/crocheted garments from it. This is particularly successful with Afghan hounds and other long-haired dogs - so, why not cats?
I just today watched a show where the lady had 5 Newfie dogs and she saved their hair. When she had collected enough, she got a lady to spin it and knit her a beautiful hat and glove set!
Apparently this used to be very common in Europe with the long haired breeds.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember that guy. He was nuts. Well really the whole family was nuts.... Really helped the reputation of the state of arkansas. People still seem amazed we wear shoes.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
haha, people will try to sell anything on Ebay. I believe I've seen a Jar of Air on there before.

I guess it would be nice if SOMETHING could be done with all the cat hair in the world, considering how much their is.

Could be a new cash crop.

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

I remember that guy. He was nuts. Well really the whole family was nuts.... Really helped the reputation of the state of arkansas. People still seem amazed we wear shoes.
That was my first reaction! It just had to be Arkansas. In all honesty though, we do seem to attract some real squirrels down here. The good news is most of them aren't home grown.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not really that strange, I don't think.

My boyfriend from many, many years ago had a beautiful Samoyed dog. He shed stacks of lovely wooly hair that my bf's grandmother used to knit into scarves and beanies and jumpers for them. It was so soft it was like cashmere!

Maybe selling it on eBay is a bit ambitious, but I don't think its weird.