This is why I'll never go on a cruise!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary and I were researching a publicly traded cruise company and had the opportunity to go on the maiden voyage of a new ship - a Meditteranean cruise. At that point in time Gary was still flying, but he has SUCH a phobia of the sea... he said he'd do it, if he could wear full personal safety gear (including a backpack instantly inflatable boat).
The company wasn't thrilled with the idea, and there was no way I was going to subject him to something like that.

Actually, the biggest problem with cruises is not weather, crashing or sinking. The biggest problems are things like the filtration systems, mold, food poisoning (salmonella &etc.).

I'm glad I was nine when my grandparents took me on a cruise up Norway, round to (at the time) Leningrad in the U.S.S.R., Finland, and Sweden. It was an experience I'll never forget, and I totally had my sea legs. But I have no desire to cruise now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We LOVE cruising. Only way to travel, now that I can't ride my motorcycle anymore! But I agree, I wouldn't cruise in the hurricane area during hurricane season. But there is an entire other ocean or two out there that typically doesn't have hurricanes!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

We LOVE cruising. Only way to travel, now that I can't ride my motorcycle anymore! But I agree, I wouldn't cruise in the hurricane area during hurricane season. But there is an entire other ocean or two out there that typically doesn't have hurricanes!!
I've cruised during the hurricane season, but I usually avoid it. And why not? Why go to the Caribbean when it's 95 degrees in Fargo, ND?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I've been on two cruises and nothing at all like that happened. It was a lot of fun, and even after seeing those videos I would go on more in a heartbeat. Cruise lines and the people that work on them are trained in what to do in those situations and they do everything they can to keep you safe.
I've also been on two cruises (Carnival both times). Both cruises left out of New Orleans and went to Mexico. I enjoyed both, and thankfully the weather was great both trips and we didn't encounter anything like those people in the videos did! (That must have been quite scarry!). I went on one cruise during Feburary 2004 and the other during April 2008...so kind of off season as far as hurricanes go.

I would go again on another cruise if the weather forcast looked good and it wasn't hurricane season. I'm not sure about the other cruise liners, but during both trips I went on, the Carnival staff did an amazing job of showing everyone how to act during an emergency from where to go to how to put on your vest properly during their safety drills.