Purraise
yes she is underweight! i will try that, thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Have you tried any of Merrick's foods? You might look at Turducken, Grammy's Pot Pie or Thanksgiving Day Dinner (if turkey ends up not being an allergen). Some of their foods have dried egg, so read the labels carefully (of course!). Precise foods have dried egg, but otherwise might be worth a shot. Natural Balance has a few formulas that seem like good ones. Max Cat Chicken and Lamb seems to meet the requirements.

Good luck.
hi sorry i missed your post before. i looked into the merrick foods and there isnt a flavor she can have for one reason or another
she used to eat some Precise food, but when i was eliminating foods i cut that out, i cant remember why.
i did get some Natural balance today, and checked out the Max cat, too, but she did not like lamb at all the last few times i tried and my other girl will not eat it, so i didnt get it

i did get some foods with egg and some with a little turkey, she ate only a tiny bit, so i dont know how i will tell if they bother her
she needs her fluids so hopefully she will have more of an appetite after she gets them.

she goes along eating well for a few days, and them boom! she only nibbles. its frustrating. and the other two cats here, my nell and my daughters cat sheldon are both getting fat on her leftovers!!

thanks for the suggestions

those merrick foods sound like things i would want to eat LOL
have you tried them? i mean, have your cats tried them?

siamese_jen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hills Prescription diet Z/D works great for kitties with food allergies as the protiens are tiny and can not set off allergic reactions. It comes in wet and dry form

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siamese_Jen

Hills Prescription diet Z/D works great for kitties with food allergies as the protiens are tiny and can not set off allergic reactions. It comes in wet and dry form
my vet said that Z/D only comes in dry. is the canned new?

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks Pat

these are the ingredients they list- it hardly sounds like food

"Ingredients
Hydrolyzed chicken liver, water, corn starch, vegetable oil, powdered cellulose, DL-methionine, taurine, minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, calcium sulfate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid (a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement)."

since she is allergic/sensitive to corn, i don't think she would tolerate corn starch. i will have to ask her vet.she loves liver, but he said not to feed it to her more than once a week, so that may be a problem too.

thanks

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

thanks Pat

"Ingredients
Hydrolyzed chicken liver, water, corn starch, vegetable oil, powdered cellulose, DL-methionine, taurine, minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, calcium sulfate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid (a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement)."

since she is allergic/sensitive to corn, i don't think she would tolerate corn starch. i will have to ask her vet.she loves liver, but he said not to feed it to her more than once a week, so that may be a problem too.

thanks
I had a feeling once you read those ingredients you'd go "ugh!!"

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thanks Pat

"Ingredients

thanks
All of it protein wise ( the potential allergan ) is cut up so small that the cats body doesnt recognixze it... that is why it is used for allergies... RX diets rarely have appealing ingrediant s but they can be a life saver...

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

All of it protein wise ( the potential allergan ) is cut up so small that the cats body doesnt recognixze it... that is why it is used for allergies... RX diets rarely have appealing ingrediant s but they can be a life saver...
I know...Z/D saved josh's life...but it certainly isn't appealing!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I know...Z/D saved josh's life...but it certainly isn't appealing!!
So very very true... um but neither is the non that i feed or what I give them raw ...lol...

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks Pat

"Ingredients

thanks
How can cats eat chicken liver as thier only source of meat and not get vit. A toxicity? I thought too much liver will produce toxic effects?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

How can cats eat chicken liver as thier only source of meat and not get vit. A toxicity? I thought too much liver will produce toxic effects?
A very good question that I have no answer for!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm...I wonder if anyone could call the company and ask? i just don't see how that would be healthy!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unless because the liver is cooked it cookes most of the vit A out? I know cooking tends to take most nutrients out.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

those merrick foods sound like things i would want to eat LOL
have you tried them? i mean, have your cats tried them?
They liked them for a while. My vet had advised not to feed anything with fish or liver at one point because of Spot's thyroid. Turducken was the only food I could find in the stores near me that worked. Unfortunately, Spot got tired of it after a while and stopped eating it. Now he only eat Friskies wet food, and half the time only if I put CatSip on it. He's such a spoiled boy.

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I had a feeling once you read those ingredients you'd go "ugh!!"
well the vet said no, Mickie should not eat this food- because of her renal issues.

a vet nutritionist that i was in contact with a few months ago said that the Z/D has not been tested long enough to know if it will lead to other problems down the road, so she strongly recommends that only cats who really can't eat anything else eat this food. at the time, my girl would not eat dry food and that was the only way it was available, but i wanted to know more about it anyway.

the corn starch must be there to hold it together, i suppose. my girl is a real meat eater, i can't imagine her even touching the stuff.

i tried some California Natural for her, and she nibbled it, so i added some FF chicken so it was about half and half and she ate it all.
guess it will be good food with FF added, just to get her to eat it!
maybe i can gradually decrease the amount of FF over time.