This is so wrong dont you agree?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my mother and I brought Glory into the vet when she had her heart attack they saw her immediately even though we didn't call. We just ran in with her and they tried to save her. I guess there are reasons they don't do some things but if it's serious they should be seen in my opinion.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This subject really gets to me. my mum is very poor, she has two cats, one of which is 20 years old. A few months back, the elder cat, whiskers, was hit by a car, both her back legs were dangling and she couldn't walk, the vet wouldn't even look at her without some type of payment!!!!

obviously, if she couldn't pay it i would give her the money but that's not really the point.

vets are supposed to love animals, i don't think they should give free medical treatment to everyone because they have a job and like anyone else need to get paid but they should make it a lot cheaper for people on welfare etc or have some type of payment plans set up, i think more needs to be done about this.

the same goes for dentists, i had an abscesed tooth that was sooooo painful that i felt i would pass out, they wouldn't even look at me without payment, luckily i did have the money, imagine not being able to be releived of such pain just because you don't have the money up front

i have never had a problem with the vet, only because i always have the money.

after what they have put my mother through, i don't have a whole lot of respect for them, they are just money hungry.

sorry...had to vent

love,

felicia

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had that problem, but I do have a credit card and would just charge what I owed.

Something I do like about my vet is how he gives you the full price. We had a dog (Jack) who was extremely ill. I wanted the vet to do labwork, x-rays, etc to find out what was wrong. Rather than quote $65 for the x-ray, he told us it would be closer to $800 for the x-ray, and abdominal surgery to remove a foreign object, if that was the problem. Also let us know that Jack's chances were very slim due to the severity of his symptoms. (We opted for euthanasia, unfortunately,as at the time we had already spent almost $1,000 and could NOT afford more!)

My vet is willing to do extraordinary measures if you want to, but he also always helps you to take a step back and consider if it is the best option. And always gives a quote for correcting the potential problem, not just diagnosing it. He also does feral spay/neuter for $25, so I know he is a good guy!

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beckiboo said:
I have never had that problem, but I do have a credit card and would just charge what I owed.

QUOTE]

That's why i do, i just feel sorry for the pets of people without cards

love,

felicia

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to see both sides. I would hate to see an animal in distress because somebody couldn't pay, but it would be equally bad to see a vet who spent years studying end up closing down his business because nobody paid their bills. That's a lose-lose situation.

If I had a store and gave everyone credit, I would be out of business. AND, it isn't fair to expect the folks who can afford to pay to make up for ones that don't.

Perhaps it would be better to educate people that if they cannot afford to care for an animal (including doctor visits and emergencies), then perhaps it would be more humane to not risk the animals life by taking it home with them.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but perhaps we all have to take stock of our situation and make decisions accordingly. Nobody would allow us to adopt a human baby if we couldn't provide adequately for it so why not the same with animals.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope no one minds if i add my own vet rant!

I called to book lucky in for surgery and they gave me a price that they said included IV fluids and pain killers. So i agreed and brought lucky in a few days later. They handed me a quote there of $150 more. I questionned this, mentionned the quote etc. The receptionist agreed to honour it, and I double checked that lucky would still get the painkillers and fluids. I left her there with their assurances....

About an hour later I got a call at work saying they had just taken lucky in for surgery and that the vet had said she wouldn't honour the quote and i would have to pay more for fluids and painkillers. LUCKY WAS IN THE OPERATING ROOM AT THE TIME!!!! What option do I have....it's emotional blackmail...and they know they can get away with it. All i wanted to do was run over there and snatch lucky back....

It's sad to see a vet that sees your animal as nothing more then money in their pocket. very sad.

thanks for letting me rant....