THIS is outpatient surgery???

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

Now THAT is nuts.
Yup!! Agree with this comment about the open heart surgery. My Dad had a quadruple bypass and his aortic heart valve replaced and he was released in four days.
Luckily he had six kids and we took turns caring for him 24/7. AND luckily he doesn't remember most of it. We spent a lot of time talking and checking with his health care providers. You gotta stay on top of it nowadays.

Mommacat sending lots of healing thoughts to your MIL. May her recovery be swift.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 years ago when I broke my ankle the ankle repair, which required general anesthesia and a scalpel was also considered outpatient surgery. I think anything under a certain amount of time is now considered outpatient because when the surgery ended up taking over 3 hours I ended up being transferred to the hospital.

misstorri

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom had her gallbladder out last month and I couldnt beleive it was out patient surgery, especially since she's had a heart attack and triple bypass,they did keep her for observation '' a little longer'' but I was freeking out. I wouldnt leave her house out of fear that I would have to rush her back to the hospital.

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank insurance companies....
I work with elderly/disabled medicaid clients, and one who I did an application on the other day was discharged from the hospital after 23 hours just because her Medicare secondary insurance wouldn't pay. 3 hours before she was discharged, her brother checked on her and talked to her doc...he was told that she would be there at least a few days.
Rediculous....

I hope your MIL is okay...DEFINITELY call and raise some cain for them not giving her any pain killers!!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondiecat

This is a very touchy subject for me. Call the ER and talk to a doctor there. That should have never happened. I went through a full hystermoctomy(?) and was sent home with nothing for pain. I was cut from one side of my body to the other side. My Mom called the ER and the ER doctor called in a script for me. The next time I saw the surgeon who did my surgery wasn't nice either, cause I let him have it with both barrels.....the B@$&*%d
GOOD for you!
it takes MONTHS to recover from that!
That doctor should have his license revoked along with some others mentioned in this thread.

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everything seems to be outpatient now. I've had two surgeries that required general anesthesia and both times have gone home the same day.

Remember, the federal government had to pass a law so that women who had just given birth were not made to leave the hospital within 24 hours after. It's awful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to those of you who sent good vibes for my future m-i-l. I went over to see her at the house yesterday, and we finally were able to get her some meds--the doc she works for called the pharmacy with a scrip. When I was talking to her though I found out that the surgeon never came back to see her after the surgery to clear her for discharge, but the hospital sent her home anyway. Not only that, but no one bothered to give her any instructions for post-op care--she didn't even know whether her incision had been closed with staples, dissolving stitches, or the kind of stitches that have to be removed, and didn't know if she could shower or only take sponge baths. They gave her no discharge papers either.

Anyway, we were with her for a bit yesterday and then, after we left, my fiance's sister came over to be with her for a while. We went over this morning to bring her the paper and she was feeling a lot more comfortable--thanks to the meds.

I CANNOT believe that hospital or that surgeon. I know she needs to file a complaint but she doesn't want to make trouble.