This is going to be one for the books! Transitioning Lucky, Bugsy and Hope to Raw.... Challenges Gal

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina- I know you do not want to do this - but it might be worth a try........ since the WL chicken is so expensive to keep feeding OUCH.... What about a chicken shredded canned food. OK - just let me finish. I found that Weruva Paw Lickin chicken http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-paw-lickin-chicken.php IS really like REAL CHICKEN and is already shredded... NOW I just found another very, very similar one just yesterday. Tiki Cat makes one called Succulent Chicken http://www.petropics.com/PukaPuka.htm... (when you open up that link - it has multiple choices - just click on Puka/Puka) I found just yesterday that my cat's will eat fresh raw chicken mixed in with either of these brands of wet food. It really smells just like homemade chicken. Might be something you could try for the :princess: Lucky :dk: I know you said she hates canned food. BUT seriously, this is NOT like regular canned food......

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina- I know you do not want to do this - but it might be worth a try........ since the WL chicken is so expensive to keep feeding OUCH.... What about a chicken shredded canned food. OK - just let me finish. I found that Weruva Paw Lickin chicken http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-paw-lickin-chicken.php IS really like REAL CHICKEN and is already shredded... NOW I just found another very, very similar one just yesterday. Tiki Cat makes one called Succulent Chicken http://www.petropics.com/PukaPuka.htm... (when you open up that link - it has multiple choices - just click on Puka/Puka) I found just yesterday that my cat's will eat fresh raw chicken mixed in with either of these brands of wet food. It really smells just like homemade chicken. Might be something you could try for the :princess: Lucky :dk: I know you said she hates canned food. BUT seriously, this is NOT like regular canned food......
Oh, it is just that I don't want to.... I am totally open to that :bigthumb: I want more than anything for her to eat proper balanced food while I transition her back to raw :nod:
Thank you SO much for the tips - I will go looking for these - If she likes it, it will be a God-sent! :clap::clap::clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew, I've been back from vacation for a little over a week now, and it's taken me this long to catch on on this thread :lol3: .  My, my my...can't believe all that's happened while I was away. Lucky completed went raw :beerpals: , then turned around 360 degrees  :confused: .  One thing I don't understand is...she IS eating WL rehydrated chicken, right?  Well, technically, that's raw, right?  So, technically, she's still eating raw then?  Also, how to you know how many oz. of that WL she is eating?  I am supplementing my guys with the DEhydrated chicken right now as I am trying to get them on scheduled feeding, and since it's like styrofoam, it doesn't weigh anything :lol3: .  (I wonder how many calories are in one of those 3/4 " ish pieces :scratch: )

Well, so glad things are going so well with Bugsy and Hope (after that plastic episode), and hopefully Lucky will get back on schedule now.  How will you know when the bones are out of her system?  Will she just poop them out?  Are they big enough you can find them in her poop (and are you looking :shocker: ...I know...we all do it!!)
Can you believe Sally? Things have gone a 720 Degree since you left :lol3:
Well, Let's see:
One thing I don't understand is...she IS eating WL rehydrated chicken, right? Well, technically, that's raw, right? So, technically, she's still eating raw then?
Yes and no. Yes, that is what she is eating..... and no, that is not raw :nod: S&C seems to be raw..... Which is why you see the different color and texture - but both Halo and WL are cooked chicken - thus that Styrofoam look and texture to it.
Also, how to you know how many oz. of that WL she is eating? I am supplementing my guys with the DEhydrated chicken right now as I am trying to get them on scheduled feeding, and since it's like styrofoam, it doesn't weigh anything :lol3: .
I re-hydrate them by putting the pieces into warm water - after a few seconds there, I cut it into small pieces and really let it soak. Remove the excess water, then weight. That is the chicken she eats - and that's the weight accounted for. 3 good pieces will give you about an ounce when hydrated :nod: And pay attention to it - it is quite caloric - she is not eating a lot if it, and she is keeping her weight, if not gaining - which is a relief! GREAT for Sven, and GREAT in a transition!!

How will you know when the bones are out of her system? Will she just poop them out? Are they big enough you can find them in her poop (and are you looking :shocker: ...I know...we all do it!!)
I did look in the first days, but not anymore..... I am more concerned with her healing her digestive system, honestly.... The bones were not big at all.... on the contrary - they were tiny. She was just not ready for bones. But as long as she is not throwing up...... that is good for me, bones on poop or not - right now the puking is over - and that is all that matters :bigthumb:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky's lunch..... 0.7oz WL chicken..... she is hungry but getting finicky - no good.
Total: 1.7oz

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 59 Dinner and late night dinner -

Let me see if I remember this..... I hate when I don't log in on time :think:
Ok.....
Lucky is getting finicky..... which sucks. I went to PSP for my Rad Cat inventory for the months, and picked up some chicken tikki cat and B.G. Chicken for her.
Tikki Cat - hated.
B.G. - took a few licks... which surprised me, as now this food is a pate - I was surprised about that- it changed to a regular food..... it is a formula now, 96% chicken - but Pate. She took a couple of bites.... but is far, far from eating it - I think I can get her eating a full meal of raw before a full meal of this.
She ate 0.75oz of WL chicken.... with a lot of effort.
Oh, I also tried offering Nature's Menu Chicken - nope, no go.

Bugsy and Hope had Nature's Menu Lamb - They ate well.... Bugsy had water added, and didn't finish his meal, so I let eat one of Lucky's Nature's Menu dollops. He loved it :)
Hope left a bit of her food behind, but not much..... I think she was just full.
Hope and Bugsy had Rabbit for late night dinner..... Hope ate the whole thing in a sitting - very quickly. Bugsy was not very excited about it, and left 1/2 of it... I decided to give him fresh chicken to complete his meal - and that's when the shocker comes in -
I give a little piece to Lucky......... and she eats it :thud: I quickly cut another piece - this is raw chicken!! :clap::clap::clap: She eats it again...... and again and again :woohoo: She did not eat much, but ate 0.2oz of raw chicken!! :clap::clap::clap:

So, tonight for late night dinner she had 0.2oz of Fresh RAW chicken, and 0.75 WL chicken - for a total of 3.3oz for the day...... not an impressive amount..... at all. I will tray to give her a bit more of raw chicken and see what happens..... :cross:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::hugs::vibes::rub::vibes::hugs::rub::vibes::hugs::rub::vibes: FOR TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cross:
Giiiirrrrlllll...... You should play the lottery today :clap::clap::clap:

GUESS what happened? She just inhaled - yep INHALED 0.65oz of Raw chicken Not Rad Cat or Nature's Menu - :princess: decided to go frankerprey on us..... and is LOVING it :clap::clap::clap::clap: She ate SO fast and was waiting for more!!
I guess I need to get going on my transition for frankerprey here - it took no toppings, nothing...... not even warming..... right off the fridge :hide: All I did was cut in small pieces and feed her from my fingers...... but she loved it so much she almost couldn't wait for me to get the pieces to her! :thud: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
I am so happy :woohoo:
Total for the day 3.95 +few licks of wet..... let's make that a 4! :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 60 Breakfast

FORGET all I said about Lucky - she wanted NOTHING to do with chicken today. NOTHING.
Let me tell you guys. I am just about there. I am SO close, SO close to kibbles. I AM HUMAN. And I AM PISSED. Yep, shoot me, judge me, do whatever - Rationally I should not be pissed at a cat - Sorry - I AM PISSED AT LUCKY. PISSED. I am frustrated, pissed off, tired of being her slave, tired of this BS, and a minute, a minute away from putting her back on kibbles and not dealing with this cr*p anymore. I am just fed up. Done.

Don't want to eat Lucky? Don't.

My cleaning lady is getting here in one hour.... it is going to be loud and stressful - if she hasn't eaten now, she will not eat then. And she will not eat for a very long time. Whatever - tired of thinking about it, of trying to do something of talking about it - I am tired of EVERYTHING.

Quickly for Hope and Bugsy - Rad Cat Turkey and Fresh Chicken

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I am SO right there with you! After spending two hours cleaning up vomit this morning, and offering Spooky everything under the sun.... and Spook never liked the dehydrated chicken dry or rehydrated. I don't even know what to offer her to eat at this point.

Have you looked for any of the canned foods? The Weruva chicken or the whatever Lauren suggested? :dk: I know she never ate canned before, but... ??????

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Lucky, and :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Momma! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
I am SO right there with you! After spending two hours cleaning up vomit this morning, and offering Spooky everything under the sun.... and Spook never liked the dehydrated chicken dry or rehydrated. I don't even know what to offer her to eat at this point.
Have you looked for any of the canned foods? The Weruva chicken or the whatever Lauren suggested? :dk: I know she never ate canned before, but... ??????
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Lucky, and :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Momma! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Yeah - the cleaning lady is here..... and I am sure my stress is not helping the situation either.... because not even WL chicken she wants. And I am telling you, I am not willing to try much. As I said - don't want to eat? go hungry. I am pretty fed up today. Today I can say I AM just about up my limit.
Yes, I tried canned. It is in one of the posts from yesterday......
Will lay down for a bit right now.......
Looks like I am traveling soon, and probably the safest thing to do for her is to put her back on kibbles and start over. Sucks, but it is what it is. I am tired of this, and she doesn't have a live in slave to hand feed her WL chicken every few hours. I need her to at least be on a schedule, eating decent meals - of no matter what - raw, kibbles or whatever. But she needs to be safe. And she is not. And I don't have all the time in the world here. This is a freaking joke.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing really helpful to say, Carolina, just 
 for Lucky to come to her senses and EAT.  You have every right to be frustrated.  Hang in there!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - the cleaning lady is here..... and I am sure my stress is not helping the situation either.... because not even WL chicken she wants. And I am telling you, I am not willing to try much. As I said - don't want to eat? go hungry. I am pretty fed up today. Today I can say I AM just about up my limit.
Yes, I tried canned. It is in one of the posts from yesterday......
Will lay down for a bit right now.......
Looks like I am traveling soon, and probably the safest thing to do for her is to put her back on kibbles and start over. Sucks, but it is what it is. I am tired of this, and she doesn't have a live in slave to hand feed her WL chicken every few hours. I need her to at least be on a schedule, eating decent meals - of no matter what - raw, kibbles or whatever. But she needs to be safe. And she is not. And I don't have all the time in the world here. This is a freaking joke.
Deep breath, Deep breath. You sound just like I was last week. Seriously, so. This IS a very, very VERY frustrating :frusty: process with the "picky, fussy" cats - this raw transition. I have talked with a lot of people lately at the few natural stores I shop at. They said and totally agree that some cats can take months and months to transition, and some will never be 100% raw. Also that some times you have to scratch the whole freakin plan and start over again at a later date. That is what I am doing with my four PIA's. :lol3: They are getting "raw treats" at lunchtime by hand :rolleyes2: Cats will hold out, and hold out, and hold out until their health becomes an issue at that point. Look - I went back to kibbles EVO - there I said it. Yes - Pipsqueak will eat wet food - sometimes - and on some days when he is refusing the wet I have to get adequate calories into him - he can lose weight too easily and has. Pipsqueak will NOT eat any of the raw I have in the house :nono: He is now just starting to eat the NVorg. chicken FROM MY HAND ONLY :sigh:. This IS a freaking joke and honestly with your upcoming trip - I agree you have to get Lucky back on something she will eat for Kelly. It honestly is not a failure - but it sure feels that way. I totally DO understand your upset, angry, frustrated because you worked SO darn hard with Lucky and got her on raw 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But she got sick, there is nothing you can do to change that now. You might just have to start over with the :princess: So what..... it is alright :alright: You did learn a whole lot about how to transition her and can do it again. I know, not what you wanted and not fun to have to start over. Who knows, maybe Lucky knows something that we don't :confused: :dk: Maybe she is trying to tell you - she just can't right now :dk: Wish they could just tell us..... :shame:

Who know's - by the time you read this - maybe the :princess: will give in. She ate raw at one point and she WILL eat it again. :cross: :vibes: :hugs: :heart3: :cross: :vibes: :hugs: :heart3: :cross:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe she is just having an off day.  It sounds like she didn't want to eat anything at all, and that happens sometimes, doesn't it (it does around here, and I don't like it one bit, bit that doesn't make it not happen)  Could be she doesn't feel too well after all that frankenprey she had yesterday...who knows.  Or maybe she is just being a
.  I know it's totally frustrating, and I know you're also very worried about her taking in enough food, etc.  You'll figure out what is best for the situation at hand and do it, it's as simple as that.  And as Lauren says, if that means starting over completely after your next trip, then so be it.  See...don't I sound calm, cool and collected.  Easy to say all this to someone else, when over here, I'm going nuts myself

And, Lucky, you better start behaving or Momma is going to beat you

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Deep breath, Deep breath. You sound just like I was last week. Seriously, so. This IS a very, very VERY frustrating :frusty: process with the "picky, fussy" cats - this raw transition. I have talked with a lot of people lately at the few natural stores I shop at. They said and totally agree that some cats can take months and months to transition, and some will never be 100% raw. Also that some times you have to scratch the whole freakin plan and start over again at a later date. That is what I am doing with my four PIA's. :lol3: They are getting "raw treats" at lunchtime by hand :rolleyes2: Cats will hold out, and hold out, and hold out until their health becomes an issue at that point. Look - I went back to kibbles EVO - there I said it. Yes - Pipsqueak will eat wet food - sometimes - and on some days when he is refusing the wet I have to get adequate calories into him - he can lose weight too easily and has. Pipsqueak will NOT eat any of the raw I have in the house :nono: He is now just starting to eat the NVorg. chicken FROM MY HAND ONLY :sigh:. This IS a freaking joke and honestly with your upcoming trip - I agree you have to get Lucky back on something she will eat for Kelly. It honestly is not a failure - but it sure feels that way. I totally DO understand your upset, angry, frustrated because you worked SO darn hard with Lucky and got her on raw 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But she got sick, there is nothing you can do to change that now. You might just have to start over with the :princess: So what..... it is alright :alright: You did learn a whole lot about how to transition her and can do it again. I know, not what you wanted and not fun to have to start over. Who knows, maybe Lucky knows something that we don't :confused: :dk: Maybe she is trying to tell you - she just can't right now :dk: Wish they could just tell us..... :shame:
Who know's - by the time you read this - maybe the :princess: will give in. She ate raw at one point and she WILL eat it again. :cross: :vibes: :hugs: :heart3: :cross: :vibes: :hugs: :heart3: :cross:
Just a great, great post. :nod:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is just having an off day.  It sounds like she didn't want to eat anything at all, and that happens sometimes, doesn't it (it does around here, and I don't like it one bit, bit that doesn't make it not happen)  Could be she doesn't feel too well after all that frankenprey she had yesterday...who knows.  Or maybe she is just being a :princess: .  I know it's totally frustrating, and I know you're also very worried about her taking in enough food, etc.  You'll figure out what is best for the situation at hand and do it, it's as simple as that.  And as Lauren says, if that means starting over completely after your next trip, then so be it.  See...don't I sound calm, cool and collected.  Easy to say all this to someone else, when over here, I'm going nuts myself :lol3:

:alright: :hugs:

And, Lucky, you better start behaving or Momma is going to beat you :wife: :paranoid:
No.... she is going from bad to worst here..... she is eating..... dry WL chicken ONLY.
Enough is enough. This is it. I am tired. The whole day I have been anything but calm and collected. I have reached my limit here. I don't care if this is an "off day" I am not willing to wait for tomorrow to try to see if she gets better and changes her mind. I am DONE.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you......
Yep, I have made a decision...... This is not good for anyone...... And kibbles it is. Bottom line is, she has to eat a balanced meal, and frankly, I am not going to kill myself over it. It is 4pm I am still not "calm and collected" I am still frustrated and pissed off. Sorry..... but this is just not going to happen anymore - it throws off everyone's meals - not only hers, but everyone elses. Today I got pissed at her, Hope, Bugsy, Myself, THE WORLD. I was one pissed off person. Not a pleasant company to be around, I tell you that much.
So.... The plan is, from next meal on, she will get her EVO with a dollop of raw, covered on WL chicken. Just like it worked on the first time. And if takes a year for her to come around........ she will be eating kibbles for a year. If takes 2 years, she will eat 2 years. 3? three years - I simply do-not-care-anymore.

Last edited:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

Just a gentle reminder.  I'm not judging you, or any of the other verbs you put into one of your posts.  I'm just trying to encourage you. I'd like you to succeed where I can't, I guess.  

Please allow me to point you to your very first post in this thread, and ask you to re-read it.  No doubt you have many obstacles to either overcome, or just deal with every day.  Look how far you've been able to come in this process!

Some of those obstacles are shared, in some form or another, by many of us trying to feed our babies food for them to be healthy.

There are days that naturally occur when the appetites just aren't there.  It's not the food, it's just the way they are sometimes.  Go figure.  My head is raw scratching it trying to figure out what is wrong - sometimes there's nothing wrong - just no appetite. It might be that the Raw food is so complete that they are still not hungry?????

Resolve is difficult to maintain especially when you're in the "thick" of issues - it can be, and is, overwhelming.

So, give yourself permission to take a break - remembering all the obstacles you have identified, then congratulate yourself on how far you've come.  

Personally, I'd treat the kibble like it was an illegal drug and not keep any in the house and encourage you not to feed the kibble, it'll set you back big time.  
  Resorting to the canned for a breather - a time out, if you will, - for Mommy is okay, IMO - to help keep you both sane and getting closer to your goal.  But then, I'm not walking in your shoes and if that's what you've got to do, be a peace with it. 

Now, for my disclaimer:  I have not yet been able to put our inside kitties on raw - It's something I know is the best for them, but I don't think I've got it IN me to overcome the obstacles before me - I guess that's why I totally get where you are Carolina.  So don't give up.  It's sort of like a 20-mile marathon runner reaches a certain point and almost gives up, but pushes through and is able to finish - that's the race you're in - and I'm rootin' for you and your babies for success.

The only cats I am feeding raw, successfully, are the ferals in my garage. Yep, they're the somewhat "lucky" ones.    Maybe they are my training for the others?  I have two with health issues that I'm afraid of feeding raw - one is FIV, and one is FeLV and giving them something that may stress their immune systems is a scary thought.  

If you carry the title of "Perfectionist" - you're really dealing with a pile of frustration - I hope you'll be able to be patient with yourself, as well as those crazy kids that you love. 
  (I live in the impossible land of "Perfection", and sometimes I think I'm on my way to "Crazyland" trying to be perfect. 

Be encouraged!  Set-backs are part of the success. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 60 Dinner - Lucky is back on Kibbles

And I finally feel like a normal person again :sweat:
My goodness was she excited when she saw that bag..... It was like she was seeing Jesus Christ in person :lol3: She was dancing, singing, walking around...... Just could not wait to vacuum that food down in seconds! And vacuum she did - almost 1/4 cup gone in record time :jaw:
She had a fantastic meal, and I feel very good about it :clap::clap::clap: She is back on schedule, and we are back on square one with her - I am still adding the dollops of raw in her plate, and when she is ready, she will eat :nod:
For now, I need her to eat balanced meals. I need her to get calcium, taurine, and all the vitamins she needs to be healthy.
SUCKS, SUCKS that this happened when she was eating 100% raw already - it does.... but I need to have her safe before I leave town.... And now she is. for those who haven't followed what happened this last week when she got sick.... I am not giving up on her..... But there is a time where you really need to consider your options.
Lucky has been for a week and a day pretty much eating re-hydrated cooked chicken breast. Today she was barely eating, and not even re-hydrated anymore. This is not healthy for her. I was doing this every 2-3 hours to get enough food into her..... offering her whatever I could to get her to eat something else.
I will be traveling somewhat soon. She has to be back by then and it is not looking good.
She doesn't eat canned, never has.....
I am not giving up, but she needs this. And I need too.... I wish I would never had gone back to kibbles..... But kibbles to me, is better than no food. It gives me time to transition her back - this is all it is - to buy time to transition her back.

Bugsy and Hope had Turkey for dinner - we are hitting a wall here..... They are starting to like fresh meat better than ground....... While Bugsy will still eat most of his ground with WL help, Hope will only eat some meats - I.e. Rabbit. the others she has a hard time - she wants chunks.
I decided to go ahead and transition these guys sooner to Frankerprey - I am going to do boneless.... I placed an order today with Hare today for the herats, organs and cuts of meats - more chicken, some turkey and pork. Lets see what happens :cross: that this is going to work - especially with the kidneys!! This is the next frontier!!!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina, 
 the most important thing is that Lucky is your baby, and you are her mama.  You give her a wonderful life, friends and toys to play with, good food to eat and keep her healthy, and more love than she can realize.  I think all of us in the raw forum are in concordance that raw is the ideal diet and is something we are striving to, no matter what obstacles are in our way - fussy eaters, health problems, budget and finances, no freezer space - but in your case it's more important that Lucky eats, gets all the nutrients her body needs to function, does not develop diseases from being unbalanced or not eating enough.  She WILL come around on the raw again - this we know - she is a little carnivore at heart!  EVO is a good quality food that will keep her healthy until she's ready to eat the raw goodness.  It is not a failure - this is not a sprint, it's a marathon!  Keep on trying and keep on posting - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your journey!!!!

Glad Lucky was sooooo excited to eat her EVO!  I am sure that full feeling is so satisfying after not eating much for the last week!!!  
 for you & Lucky!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 60 Late night Dinner -

Great meal for everyone - Thank goodness.... I SO needed that :D

Bugsy and Hope had Rad Cat Lamb tonight - Hope inhaled her dinner in seconds - She absolutely LOVES Rad Cat Lamb.... LOVES it :yummy:
Bugsy needed a few sprinkles, but still, had a great meal...... He left a bite behind that by the time I went to tend to Lucky.... Well.... you know the drill- Hope had already polished it clean :lol3:

Lucky..... She is making up for the time lost poor baby was so hungry.... now I can really see how really really hungry she was :slant: She ate almost 1/4 cup of EVO again, and only left behind the few kibbles that were REALLY REALLY stuck to the raw dollop. The ones that were only stuck to it she ate.... even though they were soaked in raw juices.....
I wonder how long it is going to take her to come back to it this time..... Hopefully not another 35 days.... Wow! Can't believe we are here again!

Oh yeah - I forgot..... I am keeping the kibble bag inside of the towel cabinet, way up, and when I feed her I put a towel under the door - the smell of the kibbles is SO strong, totally distracting for Bugsy and Hope.... The towel does help a bit. I also get both of them eating before I serve Lucky at all.