This is a real dilemma...What should I do?

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last July I lost my 12 year old calico cat, Sally from mammary cancer. I still have her sister, Minnie, who is also 12 years old. She also has mammary cancer. This is the situation; there is an inflamed lump on her chest about the size of an egg. It has a hole on the middle that keeps getting infested with pus and keeps leaking. Her nipple area is inflamed as well and leaks blood and pus. It probably sounds like I should take her to the vet and have her put to sleep, but what makes it hard is that she's still spry and she still has a good weight and appetite. If I take her to the vet at this point, she'll be scared and meow all the way like she usually does. She seems to enjoy being the only cat, but on the negative side, that infection is gross and smelly, and I have to keep washing her bedding. Everywhere she sets down, it leaves a residue of blood and pus, so I have to lay down old towels and clothing. She also has been demanding more attention from me and pestering me while I'm sleeping. Is that because she's anxious and in pain in spite of her positive manner? I really don't want to take her in yet if she's still happy, but it's getting to be a burden, and I don't want to think of her that way. I still love her very much. Is it time to let go? What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to add that I have given her prescription antibiotic pills and even a vaccination, but it doesn't seem to help. also tried a number of things to apply to the infection such as Stanhexadine soap, Isoppropyl alcohol, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide. Those things seem to curb it somewhat, but very little.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the problem with not taking her to the vet is the infection might get to her before anything else. She needs to go to vet. Yes she will complain but if the vet does something about the wound and it's not open and leaking will she still be a burden then? Your cat could be more vocal because she is sick. I'm not sure if it is fair to your cat and yourself to make a decision about putting her to sleep without first trying to address the leaky wound. It may be as simple as an antibiotic shot. In the meantime I would flush the wound using diluted chlorhexidine solution with a dropper or non needle syring.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet is definitely in order as there are other antibiotics that can be tried.  I sympathize with you not wanting to stress with a trip to the vet but it is for her own good.  My daughter had to deal with unpleasant medical trips to doctors over 200 miles away and it was so hard to force her to travel when she was so sick, but now she is healthy so it has been worth it.  I daresay, it will be the same for your precious girl --- prayers and vibes that all goes well for you both
Please keep us posted on her progress

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful replies. I've done all those things. Nothing seems to work. She's an old cat with terminal cancer. It looks like a losing battle. I suppose I could ask the vet about other antibiotics.

Last edited:

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another question I should pose is....should I prolong the inevitable or should I make it easier for my loved one? I guess there is a crossroads here as to truly know what the right decision is.

Last edited:

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wait to put her down until she stop eating and looks like she's suffering badly. Take her to the vet to treat the wound and refuse the option of putting her to sleep if offered. You can cross that bridge when you get to it. Just my opinion :-)

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all the advice, but I'm just trying to examine all the aspects of this whole thing, because this is very difficult.  I have heard that cats are good at hiding their pain, which makes me wonder if when they appear to be suffering badly, they are actually suffering horribly. Why prolong the suffering if the illness is incurable? It's a tough call because animals obviously can't communicate the way we can.

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand fully as I have been there too. Cats also have a higher tolerance for pain then we do as a survival mechanism. I learned this when my cat got bit on the back after escaping and got a large abscess. The vet put a 2inch cut in his back to drain it and told me to flush it at home leaving the wound open. When I asked where his pain meds were, he told me he didn't need any and explained all of this to me. I was horrified at first as this was not my regular vet but in the end he was right. My cat acted normally after I brought him home and it was like he didn't have the wound at all. Ive seen this another time with another cat I had. You look at them and say how is it possible you have this big hole in your skin and you are acting like it's not there?
From what you are describing she is not in pain but may just be irritated by the wound or maybe not irritated at all. I suggested you take her to the vet probably more for you than her because it sounded like a very big burden on you. There is nothing wrong with taking that into consideration on whether to continue, in my opinion, because you do want your cat to feel loved in her last days. I hope this helps and just know we know you are hurting even having to ponder this decision.

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The infection keeps leaking, it's gross, smells bad, and it gets on her underbelly and her legs when she sleeps.  I'm getting tired of all these costly futile trips to the vet. She has has been treated before, but it keeps re-occuring. It looks hopeless. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I'm getting discouraged. I might make one more visit to the vet whether it's for an opinion or to have her put to sleep. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds wise. You don't want to remember her this way, and it's no way for an animal to live.

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I took her to the vet yesterday and had the vet look at her. The vet gave me the option of further treatments, but I decided that my cat and I had had enough of the burden of what the cancer was doing, so I had her put to sleep. She went down quietly and smoothly with me hugging her, kissing her head and telling her goodbye. I'm still wrestling with guilt, because she was still lively and happy and I feel that I robbed her.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. Please, please do not feel guilty. I waited too long..it was a horrible experience.

You loved your kitty, she knows that. She felt no pain. ((((Hugs)))))