This Insomnia is gonna kill me!!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have insomnia that comes and goes during the month. I just can't seem to fall asleep and some nights I fall asleep and then wake up again. When I am having a bout of insomnia, I have a special herbal pill I take. It is from Swanson's called Sleep Essentials. It is very inexpensive and contains all natural ingredients including: valerian root, chamomile, hops, scullcap, passionflower and melatonin. It's safe to take two capsules, I ususally just take one. Take it an hour before bedtime and you'll feel relaxed and drift off to sleep gradually. I take it when I get to bed because I like to listen to late night radio before I fall asleep.

I read you tried melatonin. Try taking it a hour before bedtime and see if that helps. Also, try the other relaxation techniques and meditation to try to turn off your brain. Don't think about what you have to do tomorrow, or what he said to you that gets you going. If you start to think those things, make yourself stop and count to ten and think of things that are good in your life.

Instead of counting sheep, I like to think of a simple project I've been meaning to do and imagine each step in detail. For instance, I'm going to paint some bookshelves. I see myself sanding the shelves very throughly, then I stir the primer, then I start primering the shelves, etc. I always think of menial tasks that require no critical thinking. It works for me

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Wow...I can't even imagine that! How do you handle it...or do you get used to it? I couldn't find the tylenol PM so I'm going to try another pharmacy later. I need a bit of sleep or all my stress and feelings might explode out of me...and at an important meeting tomorrow...only a few weeks into my new job...could be a real catastrophe!!!
After awhile, you get use to it.My husband complains about it though cause I keep him awake.He will sit up in the bed and look at me and ask "are you ever going to get any sleep?" Hello, if I could........I would!!!!
with the Melatonin, it says to take 1 (3mg) at bedtime.............I took 4 and still couldn't sleep!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I can't imagine not sleeping for that long..you literally haven't slept for 55 hours?? That is awful

I am sorry to hear about your breakup, I'm sure that is affecting your sleeping.

I have no advice, just wanted to send well wishes and hugs to get some sleep

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try downloading some relaxing music off the internet, I work at a day care and I have done this for the kids at naptime.

There are all kinds but I like the rainshowers or water falls or the ocean the best, I have almost went to sleep waiting for the kids to go to sleep,

If you can't get it off the internet, you can probably find it at wal-mart or something.

Or you can pm me with your address and I will burn you come cd's with this on it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, when I was little my mom had these relaxation tapes that I used to do with her and I never once made it to the end with out falling asleep first. Basically it was someone vocally walking you through body relaxation techniques one part at a time. He started at your toes and worked his way up to your head and part by part had you focus and releasing the tension and relaxing. If you can really listen and focus on what is being asked of you it actually works quite well. Of course, I have no idea who did it or if it had a real title. Here's an "independent review" of some guided relaxations. http://www.calming.org/tapes.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support, and for your suggestions. I've taken a tylenol-pm the last 2 nights, and I've probably manged 2 hours the first night and 6 or so last night. I am definitely going to check out the valerian and other natural remedies as I hate the feeling of being dopey that I'm getting with this medication (I was just so desparate for sleep). I'm going to try and wean myself off this weekend and I will definitely think about the calming/soft music. I currently use a fan as white noise (drowns out the kitties and some occasionally loud neighbours) and I try to relax using a technique I learned in university. Sometimes it just seems like nothing helps. Thanks to even the 6 hours of sleep I'm feeling much more logical and rationale about life and breakup etc, so I'm hoping I can start to move past it and get on with living my life (and sleeping like a normal human being!)

I can't even imagine suffering with the insomnia (and other conditions) that some of you have mentionned. It shows incredible strength and resilience and I think you are all amazing.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5-HTP to help with my smoking habit & moodiness. Right now it is making me sleepy but it didn't help with all the thoughts last night. Valerian root worked when I was in college. I did have acide reflux issues with it. Make sure you eat 20 minutes before you take it.

I would concentrate on what is keeping you up at night. Maybe writing a journal to let all those feelings out. All the sleeping aids won't help if you don't help your emotional state of mind. It's tough I know I went through it in college. *hugs* I hope it gets better for ya.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After awhile your body adjusts to the no sleep or little sleep.I just get on here or read a book in the bath tub and it passes the time away faster.