THIS close to declawing her...(not seriously, but very frustrated)

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that she is using the post.  My vet puts on soft paws all the time, but you do pay a good price for it.  I think it's $30 for the application.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also best advice I got years ago was act like any furnitures life long.  Towards the end of this sets life don't let her start scratching it cause "its getting dumped anyways". 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a scratching post today and she started scratching it as soon as I put it down!! She loves it!

I also got some of that clear sticky tape. I feel good now and no longer angry..lol
Please offer her more than one scratcher. Cats should have a variety of surfaces and styles. Upright posts (which need to be at least 3 feet tall), flat, diagonal, and curved are all favorites here. Sisal, carpet and cardboard are all used with enthusiasm.

mollymoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

i had my first girly girl declawed... i didnt know anything about cats then... now i have my new girly girl and would never think of declawing her or any future cats.... their feet are not the same and dont look the same.... they need their feetsies!!!!!   try other things like more scratching posts   two way tape.... etc.... dont be angry as thats their instinct and not anything we can do about it.... new or old furniture they willl scratch unless we help them not to....DONT DO IT~~~~   (=^.^=)  PLEASE?????

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're going through this with Tabby, too; in fact, she's destroyed areas of our couch and chair. I'm not happy. As soon as we take the double-sided sticky tape off, she starts scratching again. Right away. And she has scratchers. We got her a huge cat tree with sisal rope on the legs and she does use the legs to scratch.....Tabby is definitely a vertical scratcher; she likes to reach up as far as she can and just dig in. The legs of the cat tree have really helped with this. She also has a smaller scratching post, too, and she uses that. But she still likes the couch and the chair. And it's really a shame as the furniture may be a little on the old side now, but it's always been in very good shape. Until Tabby came along. *sigh* I'll never buy a new couch and chair again as long as she's alive....it's not worth it.

Mollipop is a horizontal scratcher and she prefers carpet. But she also loves cardboard and we have a large variety or cardboard scratchers throughout the house, so she's good.

writerhall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We may have found the answer to our own cat scratching nightmare - and I feel your pain! I started another thread some time ago, and my question was your question. We have a brand new couch and chair (and as you know - new furniture is NOT cheap), and I was beside myself! I tried the double sided tape - he just ripped it off with his teeth. I taped on bubble wrap and I would come up in the morning and it would be all around the chair on the ground. I tried some furniture spray which I got at Petsmart - didn't phase him. I got lemon room deodorizer - nothing. This has been going on for months. I was afraid he was getting traumatized. He would be in the living room - even scratching on this cat condo, and would see me come, and his ears would go back, and he'd dash out of the room! 

Plus, Cappy has his own cat condo, which he loves and scratches on too. (We have scratching posts in just about every room). Well, just two days ago we think we have hit upon the answer. We moved his cat condo to a place all on it's own, right in front of the big window. Prior to this it was right next to our new couch, right up butting against it. (in fact guests sometimes would put their coffee cups on it!) But I liked it there, because it blended in with the couch, etc. and to my human way of looking at things, it looked nice.

Well,  I think that Cappy was having trouble distinguishing between it and the couch right next to it! Same colour! Duh! So, we liberally sprayed the condo again with cat nip spray and moved it. All I can say is that he LOVES it there. Cats don't like change, and I feared he wouldn't like this - but he's there all day watching the out doors through the big window  - his own big screen TV. And for two days he has not scratched the chair or the couch. 

So, maybe just maybe, we have hit upon the answer. At least for us. So, my question is - is his cat condo or scratching post at a place which is easily distinguishable from the place he's NOT supposed to be?

About de-clawing, we were visiting people who got a new kitten last summer and just got him declawed. I felt so bad for the cat. It just made me sick. He can't climb up on condos, like our cat can. (In one of our rooms we have a cat tree that goes all the way to the ceiling.) His cat bed is on the ground. I was, frankly, surprised that they found a vet in the city here who would do this. Many vets are coming out against this - including our own. So, I didn't say anything, because the deed is done. So, what do you do? Nothing, but just try to warn people away from it in the future.

lini

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat, I'm so sorry! I'm glad the new scratcher seems to be helping. I do agree with otto - having a number of scratchers and styles is important. :nod:

We're going through this with Tabby, too; in fact, she's destroyed areas of our couch and chair. I'm not happy. As soon as we take the double-sided sticky tape off, she starts scratching again. Right away. And she has scratchers. We got her a huge cat tree with sisal rope on the legs and she does use the legs to scratch.....Tabby is definitely a vertical scratcher; she likes to reach up as far as she can and just dig in. The legs of the cat tree have really helped with this. She also has a smaller scratching post, too, and she uses that. But she still likes the couch and the chair. And it's really a shame as the furniture may be a little on the old side now, but it's always been in very good shape. Until Tabby came along. *sigh* I'll never buy a new couch and chair again as long as she's alive....it's not worth it.

Mollipop is a horizontal scratcher and she prefers carpet. But she also loves cardboard and we have a large variety or cardboard scratchers throughout the house, so she's good.
Just an FYI for buying new furniture, when we moved into a house we researched what material to use when buying furniture. As tight a weave as possible is recommended, and we went with microfiber. There are a lot of different textures available, so it's not like you just have one choice. THIS WORKS. Tuxie - whose claws we can't clip - scratched on the arm of that couch (and the chairs) for FOUR YEARS - and you simply can't tell. Nat, I'm so sorry you didn't know about this before you bought the furniture. :(

mollymoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

hehehehe  us either.... old furniture is less stressfull!!!!!!!  and oh so comfy......