This bugs me...it's about my trashy neighbours

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

The food bank is right across the street and I saw this woman drive up in a NEW Ford Expedition and come out of the food bank with a couple boxes of food.
Call me naive, but maybe she was picking up food to deliver to someone?

I'm thinking of going down to the animal shelter and asking the director if any of the girls working there needs a little boost for Christmas. Not a lot, maybe just $50 or something like that, but I know they don't pay great and a lot of the girls are young, newly married, etc.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

So..what I'm saying is, if you think they are abusing the system OP, perhaps you should give them a call and they will send someone out to re-evaluate this family to see if they should or should not be recieving food from them.
The thing with some Canadian food banks is they have an everyones welcome policy, no questions asked, especially close to christmas - they dont evaluate people at all

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So..what I'm saying is, if you think they are abusing the system OP, perhaps you should give them a call and they will send someone out to re-evaluate this family to see if they should or should not be recieving food from them.
I agree.
Unfortunately, people learn how to work the system and take advantage of it. I've known people who hit every agency in town---from the churches to the Salvation Army to the food banks---then brag about how much they were able to get. They would turn around and sell the excess for cigarette money.
Years ago my Dad was head of our church's St. Vincent de Paul society, a group that helps the needy, Before he would let anything be given out he would personally make a surprise visit to the person who had asked for help. He would also contact other agencies in town to see if the person had requested assistance there. I can't tell you how many times he discovered the stories weren't exactly on the up-and-up and the request for help would be denied.
If agencies would just check things out before they give the asked for help, they could probably cut 75% of their list and give to people who are really in need.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I filed for unemployment for the first time last year, first time any type of government/state assistance, and did everything to work again because I felt ashamed......
Been there! In 2007 I was laid off from a job where I helped people with different disabilities gain clerical skills but also find work. I saw people who were genuinely appreciative of the services the received (from us and from other agencies) and then there were those just milking the system. It was humbling to me to have to go on unemployment while I was looking for work. Then I finally did get a job; but one I couldn't keep because of my own physical limitations. Thank the Lord a good job came through for me just a few weeks later.

Even now I still see that with people. The state will send people to my job to get hearing aids and I know of one person in particular who we know is milking the system. Hearing aids are EXPENSIVE!!