Third eyelid staying across eye (pictures)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone....

The furkids are all doing fine... the only one who is still sneezing is Pipsi, and she started her antibiotic later than everyone else did (the vet didn't have it in stock, so we had to go back for it.) Shachar still has his third eyelid showing, but supposedly that can take a little while to right itself. Pipsi still has loose stool that comes and goes and is really throwing me for a loop, some days it's solid and other days it's like water. I'm going to collect a sample next time it's runny and take it back to the vet to see what's going on. But I think everyone is on the "mend" for the most part!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rina -
Did you find out what specific parasite it was? If so, did you find out a way to eliminate the eggs?

-Jenna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

Rina -
Did you find out what specific parasite it was? If so, did you find out a way to eliminate the eggs?

-Jenna
Yes, it was hookworms. We never did find a way to remove the eggs, no one seems to have any idea and I couldn't find any information on the internet. Sooo... we're just treating the whole family for worms and we'll continue to take stool samples to the vet every few months.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

Just wanted to update everyone....

The furkids are all doing fine... the only one who is still sneezing is Pipsi, and she started her antibiotic later than everyone else did (the vet didn't have it in stock, so we had to go back for it.) Shachar still has his third eyelid showing, but supposedly that can take a little while to right itself. Pipsi still has loose stool that comes and goes and is really throwing me for a loop, some days it's solid and other days it's like water. I'm going to collect a sample next time it's runny and take it back to the vet to see what's going on. But I think everyone is on the "mend" for the most part!

if the vet can't find anything wrong, it may be a reaction to the antibiotic. Java had 2 rounds of antibiotic for her intestinal problem, & i finally had to give her bene-bac to firm up her stools after all the bad stuff was gone...they were still kinda soft/runny. that really did the trick, tho - i highly reccomend it!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

Yes, it was hookworms. We never did find a way to remove the eggs, no one seems to have any idea and I couldn't find any information on the internet. Sooo... we're just treating the whole family for worms and we'll continue to take stool samples to the vet every few months.
Ouch, hookworms suck. I know there are products to eliminate hookworm eggs from grass, but I'm not really aware of how to get rid of them indoors. The best plan of action I'd take:
1. Vaccinate all pets (especially dogs who can carry tons of hookworms)
2. Steamclean all carpets, rugs, drapes, and furniture. Wash all sheets and towels in hot water. Hookworms (if I remember correctly) are attracted to warm, moist areas, the steamcleaning may loosen several of them into to cleaner which can help.
3. Clean the litterboxes at least once a day. Wash hands thoroughly after this.
4. Treat grass (I assume where dog goes to the bathroom) with recommended pesticide/treatment and pick up dog poop daily. Wash hands thoroughly.

Luckily, hookworms from dogs and cats don't really get into humans the same way and get stuck in the skin causing 'ground itch'. I don't think hookworms are something you're going to have to continually worry about though. It's part of regular dog and cat vaccinations and since it can't reach the adult form in humans, there's no way for it to further reproduce.

Good luck!