Third Eyelid Showing

Nat cat 05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed about Wednesday night that my cats third eye lid was covering about 1/4 of her eye. She has previously had allergies/stuff in her eye that made it act up so I flushed them and went on. The next day it wasn’t better. I made an appointment with the vet. I took her there Friday. The vet asked if anything was different. I said no she is still playing (she doesn’t play much already), still eating, still drinking, and using the bathroom. He said he didn’t see a concern with her health wise and wasn’t concerned enough to do blood work unless I absolutely wanted it. Since he said that I passed on the blood work for the moment. He gave her a steroid shot and Clavamox to take 1.75 ml twice a day and we did another eye wash at the vet that day.
It is Monday (I know not a long time but I’m stressed) and when she is awake and alert her eyes are relatively fine. You really don't see the third eyelid. But she is sleepy a lot (which isn’t uncommon for her) and when she opens her eyes for a second or when she first wakes up the third eyelids are like 1/3 across her eyes.
If it isn’t better within a week I am already deciding to do blood work. But has anyone heard of this? I have read so many articles and questions about it and nothing quite matches what she is going through.

I did mention at the vet that she has been wheezy some but typically around allergy season. She sneezes some but nothing noticeably different. She is not teary eyed or snotty. No pain when examined. No signs of dehydration. Only one thing has really changed which is I switched her back to a cat food she likes better but she has previously had with zero issues so I didn’t consider it to be a problem.

The top pic is her awake and alert. The bottom is when she is sleepy/just woke up.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I found this in "AnimalWised,' so apparently, the third eyelid showing when waking up is not unusual.

"Although you may not notice, you can often see secretions between the eye and the outer eyelids when your cat is half asleep. As they wake up, a cat's third eyelid showing as they begin to open their eyes is normal. However, it should not be visible once open, awake and alert."

Does it disappear as soon as she is fully alert and awake?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nat cat 05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I found this in "AnimalWised,' so apparently, the third eyelid showing when waking up is not unusual.

"Although you may not notice, you can often see secretions between the eye and the outer eyelids when your cat is half asleep. As they wake up, a cat's third eyelid showing as they begin to open their eyes is normal. However, it should not be visible once open, awake and alert."

Does it disappear as soon as she is fully alert and awake?
It does disappear when she’s up and going. But if she is sleepy or relaxed it shows the whole time. I am starting to wonder after watching her if she is sleeping with her eyes partially open. That would explain why I only noticed it recently.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's very possible. I had an old tom cat years ago who did that, and we could see his third eyelid because of it.