Third eyelid showing in ONE eye only?

mrrio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is about 11 to 12 years old, a few days ago I noticed his third eyelid showing in his right eye, he has also sneezed a few times but not a lot maybe once or twice a day. What could this be? It's been almost a week now and I'm going to call the vet Monday. The same day I noticed his eyelid I had also turned my air conditioner on so I didn't know if that had anything to do with it? But I don't see how it could? Other than his third eyelid showing in ONE EYE (it is not in both eyes) and the one or two sneezes a day nothing else appears to be wrong, he's eating and going to the bathroom and has all his normal habits like rolling over for a belly rub, making biscuits, etc. Initially I wondered if he got something in it or got into a fight with the other cat in the house but it's been almost a week like this and I assumed it would clear up by now. Anyway I guess my question would be what would make only one eye's third eyelid show (covers almost half the eye) yet not show any other visible symptoms aside from a sneeze or two? And do you think there's any hope of it clearing up? I feel so bad for him but he doesn't act like it bothers him? What should I expect when I go to the vet will they do tests or just give me eye drops?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be an injury or something else.  If the cat was sick you would expect both inner eyelids to show, but your vet will do an exam and help you figure this out.