Third eyelid but no other symptoms

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody - my boy Nala’s third eyelid is showing quite a bit but he’s not really showing other symptoms that I can tell anyways.

He ate breakfast this morning like normal and was eager for a churu when I offered. He’s not hiding. He’s maybe sitting a little uncomfortably - like loafing but just looking a little off but doesn’t seem to be walking weird. I haven’t seen him use the litter box but am keeping an eye out but he’s not pacing or going in and out like I’ve seen when my cats have a UTI or crystals.

I guess I’m just looking for advice. Right now my plan is to keep an eye on him today and unless he developed other symptoms I’ll take him to the vet tomorrow if his third eyelid is still showing. Is this something you’d take them in for immediately or watch and see?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you think he's sitting uncomfortably and looking "a little off" then I'd make an appt. You know him best. The third eyelid isn't always a bad thing on its own. My boy has one eye where it shows daily - especially if he's sleepy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above. Given that he doesn't have apparent symptoms, I think it should be fine just to monitor him and take him to the vet tomorrow. I doubt at this point, it is something that you need to take him to an ER vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you think he's sitting uncomfortably and looking "a little off" then I'd make an appt. You know him best. The third eyelid isn't always a bad thing on its own. My boy has one eye where it shows daily - especially if he's sleepy.
Thank you! About 10 minutes after posting I called and made an appointment for this afternoon just cause I’d feel better getting him checked out. I tend to be paranoid about my pets so wanted to hear others opinions.

I’ve never seen his third eyelid before in the whole 6 1/2 years I’ve had him and it’s covering basically half of his eye today so I definitely think he’s not feeling good.

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above. Given that he doesn't have apparent symptoms, I think it should be fine just to monitor him and take him to the vet tomorrow. I doubt at this point, it is something that you need to take him to an ER vet.
Thank you! I went ahead and made him an appointment for this afternoon just cause I figured to put my mind at ease it’s better to take him in and have it be nothing than wait and it be something serious.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you’re being a very attentive cat parent. My only personal experience with the third eye lid was my baby Rue when she had an ocular herpes outbreak. Not to say that’s at all what it is. Keep monitoring and god forbid it gets worse see your vet asap! :redheartpump: Please update us as I see you had a vet appointment!

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update - Nala went to the vet on Wednesday afternoon.

They didn’t find much during their exam other than a temperature that was on the higher side of normal but not concerning and some signs of dehydration. They gave him fluids and a convenia injection just in case but given that he’s eating totally fine and acting mostly fine they wanted to see if that would clear up whatever’s going on but said if he was still off in a few days to bring him back and the next step would be blood work.

He’s still not acting 100% today and his third eyelid is still visible but we’re going to give it through the weekend and take him back in Monday if he’s not back to normal.

Thank you everybody for the concern and advice!