thinking of starting raw diet

crackers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the forum.  After losing 2 cats in the space of 6 months and fearful of losing another, I am eager to learn all there is about Raw .  I live in South Africa and here vets endlessly tell us we must feed our animals dry pellets for their dental health.  Now all I'm reading here is RAW RAW RAW.  Help.  I need all the advice I can get and how do I get my Simone on to RAW?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Crackers!

This thread is full of information to get you started: Resource thread, but it boils down to two preparation methods: commercial or home, and three types of menus: ground, prey model raw (PMR) (also referred to as frankenprey), and whole prey. Here's a rundown of the basics: Raw Feeding Your Cat: Just the Basics.

Glad to see you here! Just about any question you have, someone here can answer. 

AC

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also considering switching but it's overwhelming where to begin.  I planned to read through these threads on TCS to get started and just now glanced at the raw foods basics link, Thank you Thank you Thank you!

25 years or so ago, long before the internet I looked into a raw food diet and there were so few resources I never pursued it.

Today while buying my canned food I asked them to show me their raw foods.  I ended up picking up a tub of Rad Cat range free turkey and got information on the other ones they carry.  My plan was to see if they like it or use it as a treat.  I hadn't read this information, and now I see I have to do a lot more research.

Would there be anything wrong with using what I have for treats while I research this more?  It's an 8 oz frozen tub, still frozen. I will probably at least start with a raw commercial diet.  I have two cases of canned food that I bought today that will typically last about 2 weeks with one adult and two kittens.  It seems like this might be the ideal time.  Is two weeks a reasonable amount of time to switch over? 

By the way, I found the info on adding crickets interesting.  My cats love to catch and eat flies.

Thanks again!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also considering switching but it's overwhelming where to begin.  I planned to read through these threads on TCS to get started and just now glanced at the raw foods basics link, Thank you Thank you Thank you!

25 years or so ago, long before the internet I looked into a raw food diet and there were so few resources I never pursued it.

Today while buying my canned food I asked them to show me their raw foods.  I ended up picking up a tub of Rad Cat range free turkey and got information on the other ones they carry.  My plan was to see if they like it or use it as a treat.  I hadn't read this information, and now I see I have to do a lot more research.

Would there be anything wrong with using what I have for treats while I research this more?  It's an 8 oz frozen tub, still frozen. I will probably at least start with a raw commercial diet.  I have two cases of canned food that I bought today that will typically last about 2 weeks with one adult and two kittens.  It seems like this might be the ideal time.  Is two weeks a reasonable amount of time to switch over? 

By the way, I found the info on adding crickets interesting.  My cats love to catch and eat flies.

Thanks again!
Toby, Rad Cat is a wonderful commercial food, IMHO the BEST there is :clap::clap::clap::clap:
You can feed it as a treat, or if you can afford it, 100% diet as well - it is GREAT food :bigthumb:
I like slow transitions, about a week or so is a good time-frame for me. I started my crew with only one TSP, and increased the qty from there, one tsp at a time, double it every day.
Are your kitties on scheduled meal, eating wet food only already? Getting them on a schedule feeding will be your first step. Cut the kibbles.
You can start mixing the raw into the wet already, but they will have to be in a schedule for a successful transition :nod:
I feed three meals a day and that works really well - welcome to your very own raw adventure!!:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh good!  Right now they eat canned food twice a day and I leave kibble out all the time.  They also carry Instinct, OC Raw, Stella and Chewy's and BRAVO.  I just realized I don't have a lot of freezer space. I have one of those 1950's refridgerators and not a lot of space for a freezer.   Finances and freezer space might be an issue with the commercial diet route. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new to the forum.  After losing 2 cats in the space of 6 months and fearful of losing another, I am eager to learn all there is about Raw .  I live in South Africa and here vets endlessly tell us we must feed our animals dry pellets for their dental health.  Now all I'm reading here is RAW RAW RAW.  Help.  I need all the advice I can get and how do I get my Simone on to RAW?
Hi Crackers!
Welcome to the raw forum! :wavey:
We do have a member here from South Africa who also feeds raw.... While she has no problems finding good and fresh muscle meats she does have a problem with organ meats. Because of that she feeds raw as a partial diet.
How is the meat you have access to? Do you have access to organs? What meats can you find locally and how is the quality?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good!  Right now they eat canned food twice a day and I leave kibble out all the time.  They also carry Instinct, OC Raw, Stella and Chewy's and BRAVO.  I just realized I don't have a lot of freezer space. I have one of those 1950's refridgerators and not a lot of space for a freezer.   Finances and freezer space might be an issue with the commercial diet route. 
In that case, Rad Cat is probably going to be a bit sour in the pocket for you.... It is GREAT, and probably the best one for transitioning.... The lamb is a hit with most kitties btw. But you will soon want to move for something more affordable - take a look at Hare Today www.hare-today.com
They are very affordable, shipping is great too. You do need to buy their supplement, this one: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=290
I bought my freezer on craig's list for $75 - almost new and fits a ton of meat. It is compact, and fits right in my dining room/office. It can literally fit anywhere in your home. I think Laurie paid $35 for hers on CL as well..... Just a thought :nod:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great tips,  I can make room for a freezer (hope there's room for some of my food as well - my freezer is so tiny but I love my retro fridge
)  I am defrosting the tub now and will give them a little with their canned food tonight and see what they think.  They are usually willing to try most things, thankfully.  They love the wet food, but since they're still kittens I want to make sure they are getting enough food so I leave out the kibble.  My 13 year old has started eating more wet now, but I think he still prefers the kibble.  I just bought a fresh bag that's still un-opened, and a few days worth of the old.  It's Nutri Source PureVita grain free.  Should I stop the kibble this soon or wait until the bag I just got is finished? 

There were no commercial raw diets available that I knew of 25 years ago. I had never heard of the different diet options until now.  I even started experimenting with recipes I came across.  I had an immune compromised kitty that I thought could benefit from a raw diet.  At the time there was so little information on what had to be added to make it a balanced diet.  My cat-only vet then very strongly discouraged me from going raw, so I gave up. 

I think for now I will supplement their wet food with the Rad Cat, I almost got the lamb variety but they are so used to chicken and turkey now, that's what I thought I would start with.  If there is a different thread I should be posting on please let me know.  Frankly I haven't read through this particular forum because I didn't want to be even more confused until I got the basics down, and the info posted here has given me a good starting point.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy right now, this is going to be easier than I thought. 

The tub wasn't defrosted by last night's meal time, so I fed them canned as usual and didn't replenish the kibble so it ran out overnight. 

This morning, the tub was still a little icy, so I warmed up a bit by putting some in a bowl, and then putting that in a warm bowl of water.

I gave them each about a tablespoon before their canned food meal.  Rufus and Clancy licked their plates clean!   They wanted more!  Unfortunately, my 13 yo Cricket didn't want anything to do with it and looked at me with such sad eyes as if he was saying "is that what's for breakfast?"   He stuck up his nose and walked away.  Then they all got their canned meal. 

I'm so excited!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy right now, this is going to be easier than I thought. 

The tub wasn't defrosted by last night's meal time, so I fed them canned as usual and didn't replenish the kibble so it ran out overnight. 

This morning, the tub was still a little icy, so I warmed up a bit by putting some in a bowl, and then putting that in a warm bowl of water.

I gave them each about a tablespoon before their canned food meal.  Rufus and Clancy licked their plates clean!   They wanted more!  Unfortunately, my 13 yo Cricket didn't want anything to do with it and looked at me with such sad eyes as if he was saying "is that what's for breakfast?"   He stuck up his nose and walked away.  Then they all got their canned meal. 

I'm so excited!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
That's great Toby!!!
I think you should open a thread here in the raw forum for your introduction.... We kind of hijacked Crackers' thread :hide:

Crackers, come back!! :wavey:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crackers, I'm so sorry about your kitties. :rbheart: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I switched my cats in January of this year because one of my kitties has cancer, and two are immune-compromised, and I wanted the healthiest diet possible to help them. :nod:

I make my own now, but I started with commercial. I have 8 cats, they range in age from 5 or 6 to 10, and they range in size from 7 pounds to 14 pounds. Some didn't know raw was food at first, and for us the hardest part was probably the transition to timed meals - picking up that kibble that used to be out all day. :eek: BUT.... they didn't starve to death, meal time has become fun and special (3x a day), and they LOVE their raw food! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So ask away!!!!

Have you tried googling "raw dog food Johannesburg?" (Raw feeding dogs has been around a lot longer than raw feeding cats - I mean as a "discussed diet" ). Anyway, I just did - and found this: http://giveadogabone.co.za/onthemenu.html I guess the prices listed are for Cape Town, and I can't tell what the recipes are, but if you find out by contacting them and post them here, we can help determine if they're appropriate. :) Having a commercial option to start with makes it easy. Well - often it makes it easier - or at least less worrisome that we're doing it right. :lol3: