Thinking of getting another cat.

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm from Montreal and I'm with .Lucky Rescue

We deal with the rescue and placement of abandoned cats and kittens.

And DEBGCL, I just have to say no one should be buying kittens at Nature Pet Center!! These kittens (and puppies) come from mills and backyard breeders, and financially supporting them by buying these animals defeats everything rescues try to accomplish. Taking kittens to the Montreal SPCA is also not a good option, as these kittens are adopted out INTACT.

Right now we have a few kittens desperately needing homes. Two of them were left in a cardboard box on the vet's front steps. If you want a kitten, please consider adopting a homeless one, and not buying from pet shops!

Right now I am fostering a kitten who was dumped, starving and scared, in the cold. She is about 10 weeks old and is very very sweet and well behaved and she loves the company of my adult (ex-feral) tomcat. Her name is Tinkerbell.

Tinkerbell.

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
patc just for your info, the Spca includes neutoring/spaying and first vaccine in their adoption price. and they are trying to do the best they can with all the animals that are brought in. They also do fostering. So I wouldn't discourage someone getting a cat from there, or rescue organizations, if they want to save a cat or kitten.

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who I have tried to have other cats with and they ALL wound up attacking her because she is so meek. She lives happily alone. However, I live in a downstairs apartment in my P's home. They have my oldest cat and so I went and got another one for me. It wasn't too long and I realized she spent alot of time alone. I tried having her with my oldest cat, but it didn't work.

Still feeling bad for the newer, second cat, I finally decided to try a cat with her and leave my oldest cat out of it altogether. After a week in bathroom, switching bedding,and switching places with the other cat, I let the new cat out of the bathroom after 10 days (she had a spay surgery and so I kept her seperate longer than usual). This brand new kitty has all her claws and my other cat has NONE!! My clawless kitty hissed and swatted at the new kitty, who just dodged out of the way. Now they chase each other all over and mock fight (all in good fun). Lily seems happier that I brought home another cat although initially her nose was out of joint.

I say go for it!! More cats need good homes.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Suspower
Well i am very sure that it had a home by the way he looked but was very scared and was probably running on the roads trying to hide from cars and people. I felt really bad for him, im sure he had a good home...and now he's at the spca , and if nobody adopts him or the owners dont report him lost and get him they will put him to sleep
I'm sure that you felt that you were doing the right thing by your actions. I'm not here to judge you or tell you what to do. But I do have a few suggestions.

If you feel that it is a lost cat, then please, put up flyers around the neighbourhood and get the cat back from the SPCA before the deadline is up.

And when you bring two cats together, there will be hissing and growling and they will decide that they don't want anything to do with the each other. It all has to do with their territorial instinct. They don't like to share. Think of it like sibling rivalry.

It can take many months before two cats will accept each other. It's a process that requires patience and more patience from your part. The timetable is for them to set and decide. You're merely there to look after their needs and play with them.

And even when you decide that you trust them to be in each other's company without bloodshed, there will be the occasional hiss or growl. How else do cats communicate their unhappiness?

Here is a link that is well worth visiting. It's about introducing cats. It is Part One of a very good article and full of useful and handy tips to try. (The link to Part Two is provided at the end of Part One.) And if they all don't work, there's plenty more that are suggested by the members of this forum.

I'd like you to Meet...Introducing Cats By Mary Anne Miller

volgarland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We decided that our older cat Smokey needed a friend because we felt guilty leaving him home alone. At first, things were kind of hectic. Nick was 8 weeks old. After a few days, they were ok with each other. They started kind of slowly, but eventually Smokey was giving Nick baths and they were sleeping in the same bed! It takes time to introduce a new cat. Watching them together now after being together for almost a year, I know that we made the right decision.

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
patc just for your info, the Spca includes neutoring/spaying and first vaccine in their adoption price. and they are trying to do the best they can with all the animals that are brought in. They also do fostering. So I wouldn't discourage someone getting a cat from there, or rescue organizations, if they want to save a cat or kitten
Yes, I know about the voucher system, and it's NOT working. Too many people are not getting the s/n done, if the huge numbers of unwanted and dumped cats is any indication.

I don't see anyplace I told anyone not to ADOPT from the SPCA. I said that TAKING unwanted or stray kittens there is not a good option,as they will either end up dead, or adopted out intact. I encourage people to adopt from the SPCA, or from our rescue, or give out numbers for other rescues if we don't have what someone is looking for.

I said that people should not get kittens at **pet stores.**

Just wanted to make myself clear!

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People should not get kittens at pet stores for the same reason they should not get puppies there.

These animals come from puppymills and backyard breeders. Do you really want to encourage this kind of "business"? Every time someone pays an exhorbitant price for one of these puppies or kittens, the miller and bybers churn out more.

If everyone would stop buying these animals, these people would be put out of business.

If you want a purebred cat/dog, go to a reputable breeder, and please consider adopting from a shelter or rescue. Don't support millers and bybers!