Thinking of getting a small Dog

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just wanted to add that though I love the K9 country breed selector's system, it suggests that little dogs don't need obedience training, which I completely disagree with.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I would look more into pugs based on what you've sad. My dad has a pug and he is a such a cuddle bug. He has the worst breath ever (maybe he just needs a dental) but he is a sweet dog. They have a cat and the two get along just fine. Pugs have short hair and grooming-wise are pretty low maintenance compared to other toy breeds.

Plus they are so cute!

http://www.dogster.com/breeds/pug

jellybeankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any dog can get along with cats if introduced correctly.

Italian Greyhounds, Whippets and Dachshunds can have prey drive problems too, you must remember they were all bred for hunting.
Though any dog can have a prey drive or lack of one no matter the breed.

I say Chihuahuas are great little dogs though they are harder to potty train but otherwise I find they enjoy learning and training and catch on to tricks fairly fast. They are yappy as well though and have HUGE egos for such little dogs.

I have a Pekingese/Pomeranian mix who grew up with cats from 5 weeks old. She was WONDERFUL with them. She used to let kittens we took in, nurse on her even though she'd never had a litter of puppies before. She used to think she was a cat and try to climb trees, jump on cars, only socialized with cats, ect and at one point REFUSED to eat dog food. o___o However, as she's gotten older (10 years old now) she has NO tolorence for them even if they're minding their own business. She HAS to be kept away from my cat or else she'll go after him despite the fact he's as big as her.

My Chihuahua and my Chi mix do very well with the cat though and they're great little dogs to have around.

No opinions on Pugs as I don't really have any experience with them.

I think a shelter dog would be best though.
Find a rescue who test them with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chihuahuas are one of my choices. My Sister has one named Chiquita and she has a Cat and a Chin.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would recommend a shih-tzu. They are small and sturdy, not very energetic and are said to get along well with cats and other animals. My friend has one and its more like a cat than a dog she says
She brought it over to our house and it got to meet Moonlight. Its about 1/3 the size of him, its full grown plus Moonlight is a small cat. It didn't bark or chase him or anything. Make sure you stay away from terriers and I'm pretty sure hounds, too. They have a strong hunting instinct.

Good luck and keep us updated with what you decide!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HERE is the way I would do this..

ONE take all the breed quizzes you can find and compare results

then take the top 5 breeds and /or mixes and go to the shelter s and breeders and meet some dogs

Many of us with multiple dogs find the little ones to be ALOT more work and at times far more costly than a larger dog ...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Izzy costs me more per month in all bills than my two big dogs (90# & 60#) combined. I sat & figured it out. She'll never housetrain & regularly bites new people.

Little dogs are very over-rated. Yes, they are nice dogs, but they are also the ones that are euthanized most frequently for biting than larger dogs at the humane society here.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a terrier cross hes a nightmare, but lovvvves the cats..
we got a bearded terrier cross whos as lazy and lovable and loves cats and mice and anything she can love..
althogh for small breeds i like border collie cross's
my partner says poodles are fabulous.. his nan had 3 they were all fab with cats and as soft as they come... except the blind one who bit the milk man... thats another story

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chinese Cresteds are EXCELLENT!!!!
If i were to ever get a small breed- that's what it would be. My sister has two (the newest one was rescued from the puppy mill bust the shelter i used to work with took part in.) They are such sweet, family oriented dogs. Hers are excellent with other animals too- she's got 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 ferrets, 1 rat, fish, and hermit crabs
They are very social, family oriented dogs and sooo friendly!!!
They don't have a mean bone in their little bodies- i just adore them! They're also excellent with her children too!

The only thing you have to keep in mind if you get a non-powder puff is that they MUST wear sunscreen every time they go outside or they will get sunburnt. They also need a good moisturizer every day to keep their skin in good shape and prevent black heads (Aveeno works well!). They can not have topical flea prevenative (as their skin is similar to yours and mine- they don't need it).

They are such great little dogs though! It might be hard to find that breed in a shelter, but it is possible if you look hard enough sometimes! I used to tell my sister- you just wait, one of these days we'll get one in and when we do i will call you- sure enough, lol we did!
If you can not find one in a rescue though- they may just be one of those breeds where a responsible and reputable breeder comes in handy.