Thinking Of Finding My Cats A New Home

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just hook him up to the laundry pole in the yard and let him wander around. He lays in the grass and sometimes attempts to scamper up the trees.
That's actually very risky. He could get tangled and seriously hurt, or attacked by a predator. He can go out with you on a leash, but not tethered.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
You can take electrical tape and bundle them together. Then use more electrical tape to secure the bundle to overhead wires. Obviously from the extensive wiring and locations you will need to make several bundles, but it should be possible (based on the picture) to get them all secured to the ceiling wires. Since the floor supports are also exposed and the stairs look like they are wood, you can take a few smaller sized pieces of plywood and screw them in to provide a screen for the wires so they aren't an eyesore. It may be possible to get the plywood cheap from Home Depot or Lowe's, as many customers need the plywood cut to a certain shape/size and there's probably remnants that they would normally throw away.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
That's actually very risky. He could get tangled and seriously hurt, or attacked by a predator. He can go out with you on a leash, but not tethered.
If I understood the OP correctly, she's sitting out there with him. Which means he's at equal risk of getting tangled or being eaten whether the end is attached to her wrist or the end is attached to the pole.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a calming collar? Two of our cats have groomed all the fur off their bellies occasionally and the calming collars seem to help. I think it calms them long enough to break the over-grooming habit. I think there are also calming sprays you can get that automatically spritz the air but I've never tried one of those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a calming collar? Two of our cats have groomed all the fur off their bellies occasionally and the calming collars seem to help. I think it calms them long enough to break the over-grooming habit. I think there are also calming sprays you can get that automatically spritz the air but I've never tried one of those.
Have to check into the calming collar. Saw some alarming reviews on Amazon, so I'll have to do some research.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I understood the OP correctly, she's sitting out there with him. Which means he's at equal risk of getting tangled or being eaten whether the end is attached to her wrist or the end is attached to the pole.
Yeah, those were some concerns as well. So no more being in the yard, poor guy. I feel bad because I let him out there last summer quite a bit and he had a blast.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tablets are tiny. I put tablets inside a small bit of butter. Open the cat's mouth and place the tablet far back in the mouth, then let the mouth close and rub the throat for a few seconds. The cat should swallow. If you can get the hang of it, your cats will be better off for the effort.
This morning I gave Butch his first pill. He swallowed it without any issues. The only thing is now when he hears the pill bottle or sees me crouching down to get him he may bolt. I'm going to get him some cat treats at work tonight so I can give him something after he swallows it. He was a very good boy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good to hear! :)

I don't see a problem with your cat being in the yard on a leash while you are out there with him to supervise.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't see a problem with your cat being in the yard on a leash while you are out there with him to supervise.
Unfortunately, because of some of the concerns of my own (and those mentioned here) I think it would be less of a pain to keep him indoors. The meowing to be outside, looking for any opportunity to bolt out the door, having to take him outside at least once every other day (or when I get a day off), catching more fleas or whatever else may be out there....etc

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it causes that many problems, I understand. You sounded wistful about it in an earlier post, so I wondered. :)

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have to check into the calming collar. Saw some alarming reviews on Amazon, so I'll have to do some research.
I didn't look at reviews, our vet recommended it so we got one. I'll check out the reviews and see what they say...

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it causes that many problems, I understand. You sounded wistful about it in an earlier post, so I wondered. :)
I was wanting to do it, but it seems the cons outweigh the pros. I am still considering it but undecided.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Desktop, your story really touches my heart! I have friends in similar situations and it is so sad. In fact, your lifestory is a common theme for us family caregivers. Even when somebody has a great job, it takes only one car accident or other illness or mishap to unravel the most carefully planned lives, whether the misfortune is theirs or their child's or other family member. I admire your stalwart attitude and determination and selflessness in caring for your cats - it is clear that they are family members and close to your heart. I will be hoping and praying that a better situation will come about for you very soon - perhaps someone else who is alone with an aging parent in a large house could use having you around, not necessarily for care but as an extra adult to help with yard chores and perhaps do monthly shopping errands in exchange for rent, not to mention having somebody else around to talk to, once in awhile. Please keep us updated on how the kitties and you are doing!