Thinking Of Finding My Cats A New Home

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know where else to post this. Here's my situation....

Four years ago while taking care of my dad I took in two kittens. The idea was that my mom always had cats so perhaps having cats around again would brighten up the house and my dad. It worked, but then my dad finally had to be put in a nursing home and there he passed away. I was left with the house and the two cats.

I tried to make a go of keeping the house but it just became too much and so I had to move. Unfortunately the only place I could go was this basement room in a friend's house. I'm not fond of living in a basement, but I didn't have any other options. I moved in with the cats and at first things seemed fine, but then Butch developed strange allergies to something and got all these scabs and sores and Coda lost most of her fur on her belly and the back of her legs.

I took both cats to the vet and he gave each cat a shot of Depo-Medrol, which cleared up Butch's scabs and sores, but it only lasts for a month and now he's starting to show signs of incessant licking and grooming again. Some bare patches of skin have appeared on his legs and I have no clue what is causing this except that it is obviously related to living in this basement. We don't know why Coda lost all this fur, because she doesn't have any of the scabs and such that Butch had. We assumed it's just because she's a very nervous kitty who doesn't like noises and/or other people. Now that she's living here there's always noise and people.

I have been dealing with this situation for about six months now and I always feel horrible when I see my poor cats knowing that I brought them here. At the house they had the whole place to run around in. There were many windows they could sit and lay in. It was always very quiet and (except for the expense of living there) it was like heaven. Now we're in this dingy basement with no windows except the small ones at ground level. I bought them a cat tree so they could sit up and look out this little window, but it's just not the same.

I feel bad that they have to be here and while I can't do anything about it myself I was starting to think that perhaps I should find a home for my cats where they could live above ground again. I have no one here that I can talk to about it (these people aren't really animal people and have no heart when it comes to the cats and what they're going through), so I thought I would post about all this here just to see what other people think about this idea.

I know that new people and new place would be a big adjustment for the cats, especially Coda, but I'm just thinking about their quality of life. It would be a load off my mind to know they were in a better place and hopefully recovering from all the basement nastiness.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your predicament is very sad. The cats are clearly not happy, and have not adjusted well to the change.

I believe the skin problems are emotional, and stem from stress and anxiety.

I agree they would be better off re-homed into a loving household with room to roam and enjoy windows and such as they used to. They do need to stay together.

Do you have any friends or relatives - even out of town - who might be able to care for them permanently or even temporarily? That way perhaps you could reclaim them down the road when you are better situated.

I wonder if you could get low-dose prednisone tablets to give them each every other day in the meantime to relieve the itching and grooming behavior? It also acts as an anti-inflammatory. Can you speak to the vet you saw originally?

I applaud you for wanting to do right by your cats. It sounds like you are struggling on a personal level as well, and I empathize with that too. You will get through this and things will get better eventually.

Where are you located? I can look for a rescue that might be willing to work with you if you have no other options.

Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I have no friends or relatives that can take the cats. Now that my dad and brother are gone it's just my mom, but she's in a nursing home.

I've put a post on a local Facebook sale page with some details about the cats. I figure if anyone is interested we can meet and talk about it. I prayed that the Lord would send me the right people.

I have those tablets, but it's very difficult trying to give them to the cats. I've wasted more of them trying than anything else. I am located in Grand Haven, Michigan.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The tablets are tiny. I put tablets inside a small bit of butter. Open the cat's mouth and place the tablet far back in the mouth, then let the mouth close and rub the throat for a few seconds. The cat should swallow. If you can get the hang of it, your cats will be better off for the effort.

I'll see what shelters may be available in your area.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some no kill options:

Michele's Rescue | Our Litter

Lake Haven - Official Site

Reubens Room Cat Rescue

All 3 of these rescues are no-kill. Some use foster homes to house the cats until they are placed in a permanent home, which might be a good option for your cats. Each sounds very dedicated and all provide vet care.

You'll want to call and chat about your options for your cats.

Please let us know if any of these work out. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sarthur2 gave you excellent advice. I have nothing to add except to send special thoughts your way at this difficult time. Thinking of Butch, Coda and you. :hugs:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got some replies to my FB post and they said the best option for the cats is the no-kill shelters/adoption centers also. They also gave me a couple places that are local and get very good reviews. I will check out all of these places starting tomorrow.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear of all your problems, and the advise Sarthur2 Sarthur2 gave is excellent. But, do keep an eye on yourself. Basements don't have very good ventilation nor do they get sunshine, so black mold forms easily. If you find yourself short of breath or coughing, look around. Just keep an eye on yourself.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning I called Heaven Can Wait, which is a highly reputable no-kill shelter/adoption center here in my area. I talked to a woman named Diane and when I explained my situation she asked me a bunch of questions - do they have proper food, water, litter, vet visits, etc. I said yes to all of these and then told her about Butch's problems and Coda's missing fur. She said she has her own cats who live upstairs (with plenty of windows) and that they also have these types of issues. She asked if they play, are allowed upstairs and are generally playful and happy. I said yes to all of these and she said my cats seem to have a pretty good life then, and that they would be better off just to stay with me.

If Coda is loosing fur because of noises and the new environment, then she said she would fair far worse being in the shelter in a cage with a lot more noises waiting to be adopted to some new home. She assured me that with the summer months coming up Coda's fur would eventually grow back and that Butch will get better as well. Right now as I'm writing this the cats are playing with each other down here in my room, jumping around and making contented cat noises.

I feel a lot better having talked with Diane, because now I have more peace of mind about my furry kidlets. I guess I was just overly worried for nothing, thinking that they had it worse off than they actually do. I will just learn to give Butch his pills (if he still needs to continue taking them, that is) and take them to see the vet for their occasional check ups.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought one of those cat leashes for Butch back when I first moved in and I would let him go outside on the leash (it was like 20ft so he could roam around). I was wondering if I could still let him go outside occasionally, or if that would just exasperate the flea issue and make things worse? I still feel bad that he can't see outside or be in an open window. He does have the basement window and I bought the cat tree so they could play on it and be up at the window level to see outside, but I can't open that window because I know fleas can get through the screen.

This is my spoiled boy on the cat tree.....

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure, you can still take him for walks on his harness and leash. Most cats won't get fleas on a walk.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually just hook him up to the laundry pole in the yard and let him wander around. He lays in the grass and sometimes attempts to scamper up the trees.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
That sounds like a good idea. Just keep eye on him when he's hooked up. I think he will love being out in the sunshine. My gals love being outside and their demeanor changes the moment the door opens and they can go on the deck. Some days they lay out there all day. Never had issues with fleas either but I use revolution on them every other month unless we see fleas.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Does Butch attack all those wires to the right of his cat tree? My cat would not be able to leave those alone.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good idea. Just keep eye on him when he's hooked up. I think he will love being out in the sunshine. My gals love being outside and their demeanor changes the moment the door opens and they can go on the deck. Some days they lay out there all day. Never had issues with fleas either but I use revolution on them every other month unless we see fleas.
The only issue is if I start doing this again he will constantly be at the door meowing to be outside and drive us all crazy. Plus he'll be more likely to zip out the door when people are going in and out because he knows that's the way outside.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does Butch attack all those wires to the right of his cat tree? My cat would not be able to leave those alone.
Nope, he's never touched the wires. His sister doesn't either, unless she's rubbing her head against something then sometimes she touches them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, he's never touched the wires. His sister doesn't either, unless she's rubbing her head against something then sometimes she touches them.
You are certainly making the best of a difficult situation and coming up with some great solutions for the cats. :thumbsup: But I would worry about those wires too even if they haven't touched them yet. Is there a way to possibly cover them up? Depending on what the wires are for it may be a safety concern for you as well, i.e. faulty wiring or not up to code. Please keep us posted on the cats and take care of yourself. :hugs:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an old house (built in 1900 I believe). Whoever wired the fuse box did a crappy job. All those wires should have been harnessed or tucked away. Unfortunately, we can't do anything with them and so they just hang there.