Thinking of changing to Feline Pine

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am running low on Fresh Step stones with that fancy chemical stuff, plus every time you dump the bag its a huge cloud of dust. While I am quite confident my cat is alot more complicated and has food allergies I dont see the harm moving to Feline Pine. Can I safely assume there is no known allergic reaction to this with cats? It just seems every time I buy something new, later I hear, well it could be that as well and the suspected allergy list ever grows!
thanks
madara

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madara

I am running low on Fresh Step stones with that fancy chemical stuff, plus every time you dump the bag its a huge cloud of dust. While I am quite confident my cat is alot more complicated and has food allergies I dont see the harm moving to Feline Pine. Can I safely assume there is no known allergic reaction to this with cats? It just seems every time I buy something new, later I hear, well it could be that as well and the suspected allergy list ever grows!
thanks
madara
What you can not safely assume, is that your cat will like it... It is a great litter, when cats like it, and a World of trouble when they don't... My Lucky has pristine bathroom habits - she will hold on for a litter box if none is available, for example... Well, when I changed for Feline Pine, she immediately started to show me her dislike by peeing on my living room. Thanks to TCS, gallons of Anti-Icky-Poo (literally), and changing to Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, I was finally able to get her back to peeing in the box - but it took me a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of headaches...
A lot of cats do not like the texture and the strong pine scent... There are quite a number of feedback of peeing outside of the box... I would not risk it... Just my experience and my honest opinion for what is worth...
There are some people who use chicken crumble - same concept, minus the scent and much cheaper too...

Also, have you tried Dr. Elsey's Precious cat clumping litter? they are 99% dust free, and also allergy free.... Awesome litter, IMO. They do have a rebate for a free bag, if you want to try - here is the form; just send it in with the receipt and the bar code, they mail you a check.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use wood pellets, not pine, that have no smell to the pellets at all.

With some cats you will need to sprinkle the old litter on top of the pellets to start with, none of my cats have any issues switching but mine are easy going with things like that.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would do it slowly and make sure to have a box with regular litter so they don't go on a box strike. Some also slowly add it to their regular litter just mixing it together until it is all pine. Once again make sure to have a box with just regular litter. I don't think mine would go for it at all.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback, all good points. I assumed because he does not bat an eye between litter in the past it would be same but going to pellets would be a big step then just sand like litter to stone.

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched awhile back and had no problems. I also brought in a kitty from a shelter that used different litter at the shelter and had no problem. Granted, I just may be one of the few lucky ones.

I use Feline Pine original.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely suggest keeping at least one box of the old litter around, and follow whatever instructions feline pine has for transitioning between litters. If they go for the new litter, great, but a lot of cats truly have preferences.

My girl has never met a litter she won't use, but my boy is far pickier. And, IMO, thank God for Dr. Elsey's developing Cat Attract.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think the pine is very messy and hard to scoop...therefore smelly.

I use the Tidy cat. Yes, it is dusty, but my house has no odor and that is very important to me.

I knew someone who used the pine, and when I tried to help her scoop the boxes, they smelled and were so aggrivating to scoop.

I won't say what I was mumbling under my breath the whole time!

lanceb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Madara,
I was looking to get back to some people on an old post when I saw yours. I recently switched to Fresh Aire Litter. Has pine and some clay. they have a multi cat blend with some cedar in it but I haven't tried it yet. At any rate, the Fresh Aire has great odor control, clumps well, and is chem free. IMHOP it is a real good alternative. I switched out in a day and my cats didn't miss a step. You might have to phase it in. Also, currently on the Fresh Aire website, there is a downloadable coupon.

LanceB