Thinking of adopting this beauty...

catlover777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after searching and searching, we found this gorgeous girl.  

However, she is about 5 pounds and about 10 months to a year old. Is this normal? She doesn't seem too skinny. She is exactly what we wanted in a cat, but her weight is a bit concerning. Is she just a small cat?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're right - she's beautiful :)

Regarding her weight - 10 months isn't fully grown. She'll have the bulk of her adult height, but still has a lot of filling out to do. I think cats are only fully mature at 2 years old.

Talk to the shelter - they work closely with vets, and should be on top of the health of all the animals in their care. They'll be able to advise you far better than someone at the other end of a computer screen!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's lovely. 

@Columbine  is right, she'll fill out a lot more in the next year. Some cats just are a lot smaller than others, as long as she's got a clean bill of health from the shelter I don't think there is anything to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! :) I'm so excited to meet her. Her foster mommy told us:

"Dinah is a tiny 1 year old girl with a huge heart. She purrs when you walk in to a room and comes running up to rub on your legs. If you sit she is right there on your lap. She will play if prompted but would take affection over it any day. She is not shy or skittish and will come up to anyone in hopes of getting a little loving. She gets along with other cats really well and would do well with another gentle cat. She is so sweet"