Thinking about switching to 100% wet food - questions

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

No they don't. But they do have links to other sites that do sell things, including the link to the first one you gave. Which still makes me scratch my head a little.

I am open to the idea of it. However I need solid unbias facts.
You will probably have to do your own research to find information from a source you feel comfortable with. As far as I am concerned the idea that dry foods in any way promote good dental health has been throughly debunked.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

If it's the "chewing" part that's of interest, would a

snippet from Britannica cut it?
That does help. I still don't get this "cat's don't chew" thing though, cause I see my cats chew not only their food but they like to chew on my dogs chewies/pencils and nail files.

You will probably have to do your own research to find information from a source you feel comfortable with. As far as I am concerned the idea that dry foods in any way promote good dental health has been throughly debunked.
You are probably right, but I don't have the time. Hence my late reply. Unbias answers should be easy to find.

However I would like to see a picture of someones 13-15 year old cat's teeth that has been fed soley wet food for it's entire life. Their cat not one that has been googled.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That does help. I still don't get this "cat's don't chew" thing though, cause I see my cats chew not only their food but they like to chew on my dogs chewies/pencils and nail files.

You are probably right, but I don't have the time. Hence my late reply. Unbias answers should be easy to find.

However I would like to see a picture of someones 13-15 year old cat's teeth that has been fed soley wet food for it's entire life. Their cat not one that has been googled.
Cats mouths are hinged different than you and I ... they go up and down ONLY ( I do have TWO out of four that chew each kibble )... Genetics also plays a HUGE role in dental health ... IMHO wet food is better for OVERALL health but the jury is still out on it and dental health... MY expeience is three cats that have passed 19.5 and one month shy of 19 both ate grocery dry and wet plus table food , the older NEVER had a dental and the other started at age 13 and HAD ALL of her teeth at her death ... the youngest was 14 and never had a dental ....

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't see how that would be conclusive of anything. I don't think anyone contends that eating wet food promotes good dental health either. From all that I have read the only thing that conclusively promotes good dental health in cats is gnawing on raw bones.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I don't see how that would be conclusive of anything. I don't think anyone contends that eating wet food promotes good dental health either. From all that I have read the only thing that conclusively promotes good dental health in cats is gnawing on raw bones.
there are some SMALL studies claiming wet food promotes dental health ... Yeah the bones work if theyll use them
to my crew

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see how that would be conclusive of anything.
But I do. I don't want my cats teeth to rott. If eating wet food doesn't rott their teeth than I am all for it. My mom fed her cat wet food and he only lived 7 years, died from some weird disease that I spent hundreds on trying to figure out what was wrong with him. His teeth were discusting. I still don't know if one had to do with the other. So this is why I want to know.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But I do. I don't want my cats teeth to rott. If eating wet food doesn't rott their teeth than I am all for it.
I didn't say it didn't. I said that feeding *dry* food doesn't prevent tooth decay. In other words, a cat eating a wet diet is no more likely to develop dental problems than a cat fed a dry diet. Gnawing on raw bones however has been shown to be very effective at preventing tooth decay in cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

I have a 15 1/2 year old as my oldest. She hasn't needed a dental and eats wet and human foods. We all know though that 1 example doesn't mean much in the scheme of things.

Best way to take care of cat's teeth. Same as with humans, brush them!
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pe...brushing_teeth
ACTUALLY there is NO need to brush JUST make sure to get the enzyme cat toothpaste in( there are many studies on this readily avail)

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet about the "dry food scrapes teeth" and she said vets recommended it a decade ago but it is wrong/outdated information.

She said studies have proven that eating dry food makes no difference in dental health. She said wet food is better for overall health but basically to feed your cat what makes them happy and healthy.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ACTUALLY there is NO need to brush JUST make sure to get the enzyme cat toothpaste in( there are many studies on this readily avail)
I'd be interested in seeing one of these studies. Where can I find them?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'd be interested in seeing one of these studies. Where can I find them?
I saw three of them at my old vets office ... ie ask they are from the vet journals ...Google likely will yield something...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch ate strictly dry food for years. Did her no good, she lost all her teeth. She's now 5 & was 2 when they all came out. She'd eaten nothing but dry food....not one bite of canned...and still lost all her teeth.

Have you talked to your vet? Mine does not suggest dry food for dental health, he says the difference between canned & dry diets are little to none when it comes to teeth cleaning.

*End Hijack*

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I asked my vet at my kitten's checkup about dry or wet food, she didn't say go with one or the other, but did say that wet or dry is not any worse or any better for the teeth, so don't base my decision on that.