Thinking about getting another cat or kitten as a companion for my older cat

corinne1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,.......... I'm new to The Cat Site and I'm hoping someone can possibly help me with my situation.        My fella is around 10 years old - he's fixed and he's an indoor cat. Last year I had to get my other cat put down as he was very ill. Needless to say  - that day really SUCKED.  This is awful to say, but, I honestly don't think my other cat even knew he was gone. I will get to the point here,................. I just wonder if it would be a good idea to get Angus a little playmate. And if so,.......do I get a kitten or a cat that is closer to his age ?????  Also, being that Angus is a male, ( fixed )  do I get a male or female ???  I'm not rushing into this but I thought maybe someone might be able to help me kinda decide.  I  will say thank you in advance to everyone that gives a reply.    
`

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I would adopt a cat closer to your cat's age since a kitten may be too rambunctious for a more sedate older guy. Plus older cats have a much harder time finding homes than kittens and you would be doing something quite wonderful saving a life. I'm not sure it matters what gender you select. The main thing is that you go through a complete introduction.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. A kitten would be too crazy and playful for most older cats. You don't have to get a cat that is the same age as your current cat but matching temperament would be good. If you have a calm cat, try to get a cat that is also calm. Adopting a cat that is old enough not to be playful and bugging the older cat all of the time (over 2 years) would be best.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
At our local shelter, we're no longer allowed to adopt kittens out to households that have a senior cat that's lost its longtime companion. All too often the kitten is returned because it's just too much for the older cat. An adult cat is a much better choice.

You have to be honest with yourself - would the new cat be for Angus, or for you? If Angus isn't pining for companionship, it might be better to maintain the status quo.