Thinking about changing Poodle's name (cat). Any ideas?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after taking Poodle in to get Neutered at the vets and feeling dumb about his silly name, I think I want to change his name. He is a silly, high strung cat and the name "Poodle" kinda fits him, but I know there is a better name out there somewhere. I am so picky with names. I like human names, like Cody-I love that name so much that if I have a son one day I *may* name him that, lol.

He ended up with the nickname "poodle" because as a kitten he had very crazy looking hair, it was wispy and went in every direction. I never, ever intended on Poodle being his name, lol.

I have 2 other cats who's nicknames became their real names, Bear & Chicken. Chicken's name suits her prefectly, her name was supposed to be Pearl... But she is so silly, and I hate to admit it, but her.... kitty IQ is a little low, bless her heart. I rarely call Bear by his real name, I mainly call him Black Boy, but I will not put that on in vet records-they may think I am racist and I am not. He is a black boy cat, so what.

Any suggestions for Poodle a new name, one that isn't so... crazy? LOL!

Here he is as a kitten, you can see the wispy hair:

Almost full grown:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing his adult picture I have to agree with you that Poodle seems just too undignified for him. I wouldn't worry about what the people at the vet think though, they've heard it all already, I'm sure.

he'll let you know what his real name is eventually, however to me he actually does look like a Cody.

My cats all respond to both their nick names and their real names, so, as you have found, it won't be difficult to change his name once he lets you know what it is.

Most of my cats came un-named, as rescued strays. They let me know what their names are, Tolly was a tiny baby and it took him a bout a week to communicate his name to me, Jennie, an adult rescued stray told me her name the first time our eyes met (I'd been feeding her for about 2 months, but only ever saw the back of her, running away, at first)

Mazy's name was Trinity at the shelter, but when our eyes met I knew her name was Mazy, and I was officially Chosen.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he answers to "Poodle" already, you could always change it to "Boodles." That's a cute name (and a very good brand of gin!)

Cally

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with strange names. I kinda like it LOL. I wish I could name my animalâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s funny names but my boyfriend wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allow it. Back in Toronto I named a cat Dirty (because he was Dirty), Thing (Because she was the ugliest cat Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve ever seen) and Noodles (because she was crazy). I like Poodle lol. Ive also had a Monkey, MoMoface, hmmm I have had more but i cant think of them now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn't expect such great replies! Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by otto

however to me he actually does look like a Cody.
I didn't think about it, but he DOES look like a Cody! I have a Cody though, the only cat in this house who has a decent name, lol. You are right about them 'telling' you their names, Cody's name kinda came to me like that. He was a little grey ball of fuzz too, and he looked like a coyote so I played around with the word "coyote" and ended up with Cody. Fits him purfect too.

----------------

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

As soon as I saw him I thought Winston. A very dignified name.
That is definatly going to be on the top of my list! I love that name.

-----------------

Originally Posted by kluchetta

I thought of Magnum for some reason.
I like this one too! Thanks.

-----------------

Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

If he answers to "Poodle" already, you could always change it to "Boodles." That's a cute name
That is a cute idea! It's close to some of his nicknames: "Dookles, Pookles, Doodles, ect"

-----------------

Originally Posted by BaloneysMom

Nothing wrong with strange names. I kinda like it LOL. I wish I could name my animal’s funny names but my boyfriend won’t allow it. Back in Toronto I named a cat Dirty (because he was Dirty), Thing (Because she was the ugliest cat I’ve ever seen) and Noodles (because she was crazy). I like Poodle lol. Ive also had a Monkey, MoMoface, hmmm I have had more but i cant think of them now.
It's funny because I had planned on changing his name before he went in to get snipped, but it slipped my mind. So when the receptionist asked for his name I promptly said "Poodle, errr..." LOL. Then I remembered. No one at the vet said anything, but it was even funnier when the receptionist was seeing if my cats were UTD, and went through the list of names "Poodle, Bear, Chicken..." I almost started laughing.
I like your anmals names, even the funny ones! Don't tempt me, I like the name Noodles, hehe.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me just say that Poodles is a beautiful boy. H looks a lot like a feral girl I used to care for. I absolutely love the grey tux look.
he came a long way from kitten-hood. I just wanna run my fingers down his back! Super lovely!

I can't help but think "Roughneck" when I see him. -shrug- just what popped in my head.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Let me just say that Poodles is a beautiful boy. H looks a lot like a feral girl I used to care for. I absolutely love the grey tux look. he came a long way from kitten-hood. I just wanna run my fingers down his back! Super lovely!

I can't help but think "Roughneck" when I see him. -shrug- just what popped in my head.
Awww, thanks! He was under my house crying as a 3-4 week baby-apparently his mother abandoned him or died, I never saw her. He is the most mischevious cat ever, lol. When I put my leg in front of him so he can't get out of the door he slaps my leg as hard as he can with his hand, LOL. In fact, in the 2nd pic he is waiting by the bedroom door to get out, so when I block him he can pop me, lol.

I love the grey tuxies too, it's one of my fav cat colors.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Poodle, lol. But then again I have a Pebbles (dog) and Storm (cat). Though of all the other suggestions I really like Magnum.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to tell you the first thing that came to my mind as a new name....Puma! That first picture, with his ears flat in little stalker mode
! He is a gorgeous kitty!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like those names too!

I am torn about renaming him... Poodle does fit him, he is a manly cat, until you hear him meow, lol. He has a squeaky high pitched meow.
I will have to think. I LOVE love love these names. I am writing them down *just in case* I end up with another cat, lol.

But there is just something about his name being Poodle... lol.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I totally would keep his name poodle..I love it! All of our cats have either weird names or nicknames. Fatman was originally Bubba till we got him and dubbed him Fatman, Big Kahuna, Fatty Fatty 2x4, or Ton of Fun and he answers to all of them. Hercules is named after the Disney movie and is also called Your Cat, The Other Cat, Hunka Hunka Hercules, Herc, Herky, or my favorite Bawl Baby Pissy Pants. Gidget is named after that 60s movie and is called GiGi, Gigers, G-BooBoo, Daddys Little Princess, or my favorites NOOOOOOOOOOOO G.
I have had a cat before named Pickles (I was pregnant when I named him..lol) He was the greatest. If I can convince BF to let me get another and it has any orange in it its name boy or girl will be Pickles

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a Sterling to me - probably because of his beautiful gray coloring.

I like the name Winston, too.

Did you already decide on a name? I noticed you have the name Cody in his siggy.

Cats will respond to their nicknames, too. All my furkids have at least one nickname, and they know them all. I don't think my Gabriel even knows what his real name is anymore, because I almost always call him by his nickname.

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

As soon as I saw him I thought Winston. A very dignified name.
i think that is a very good name --- me too.

Winston

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am also going to say to stick with Poodle. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cute and original and you will forever be reminded of what a cute, goofy haired little kitten he was LOL. He was too precious with his hair LOL.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, you guys arn't making it easy!!!!

I think my sig is confusing you all... I have 2 grey & white cats: Cody & Poodle.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im still voting for keeping Poodle...Imagine my vets surprise when I gave them Fatmans name. They kept thinking it was Batman..Nope just one look at him and you can tell he is a Fat Man!!! lol