Think my kitten might be pregnant but acting similar to heat???

Nevaeh289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I was cat sitting my kitten(6-7months old) along with her brother prior to him being rehomed. We were NOT told before getting them they weren’t fixed and so they were in a room alone for about 6 hours before we were here. Once we took them out we noticed the male mounting the female CONSTANTLY, chasing her around biting her neck pinning her down etc.
I separated them whenever I noticed but they spent a lot of time alone because we’re very busy so we weren’t always here. When I feel her stomach I SWEAR the sides feel like there’s a small lump on each, but I never spent much time touching her belly prior to this so idk if it felt like that before. She’s EXTREMELY affectionate, very vocal, and is doing the heat stance on the ground. But she’s rolling around a lot, and walking around the house meowing and crawling under and into every small space she can. And I feel as though she looks like she’s gaining weight. She’s also NEVER been into heat and we’ve had her over a month now. Do you think this has her first heat cycle? Or she’s getting increasingly pregnant and becoming uncomfortable/trying to nest? I can provide pics of her and her nipples as well if that helps :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was this? If she is pregnant and not far along she can still be spayed asap. If not pregnant still spay her asap.

There are various possibilities - she may have mated and not taken, may have reabsorbed, may be pregnant - some cats will act like they’re in heat during pregnancy, or she’s not pregnant and in heat.
He may also have been trying to mate without her being in heat but not actually mated, cats are induced ovulators so don’t need to be in heat to fall pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nevaeh289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long ago was this? If she is pregnant and not far along she can still be spayed asap. If not pregnant still spay her asap.

There are various possibilities - she may have mated and not taken, may have reabsorbed, may be pregnant - some cats will act like they’re in heat during pregnancy, or she’s not pregnant and in heat.
He may also have been trying to mate without her being in heat but not actually mated, cats are induced ovulators so don’t need to be in heat to fall pregnant.
We got them on November 27th, but upon finding out they weren’t fixed their original owner also noted that he had been mounting her for the past few days that she had them before giving them to us as well. I’ve been reading heat cycles only last around 4 to 5 days if I’m not mistaken, and tomorrow would be day 4, so my goal is to see if she goes back to normal after day four or five and then immediately make an appointment to get her spayed. In my area based off the research I’ve done it just wouldn’t be cheap for the vet to tell us whether or not she is pregnant and if she’s just in heat I would like to avoid that cost unless necessary and only pay for her spay procedure. I’m also just extra curious Because is it normal for her to not have a first heat cycle until 7 months?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heat cycles last anywhere from 1-14 days in most cases.

raising kittens is very expensive (12-14 weeks of food, litter, getting their shots, worming, neutering all before rehoming), you’re better off seeing a vet to find out what’s going on than just leaving her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nevaeh289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heat cycles last anywhere from 1-14 days in most cases.

raising kittens is very expensive (12-14 weeks of food, litter, getting their shots, worming, neutering all before rehoming), you’re better off seeing a vet to find out what’s going on than just leaving her.
Oh wow, thank you! You’re the first person to let me know that her being in heat can last that long I had no idea, most of what I found was saying 4 or 5 days. Definitely just going to bring her in then, waiting more than a few more days would be pushing her too close to a possible delivery for me to not just bring her in. Thank you