Things your dog has eaten...that it shouldn't have!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting immune to coming home and finding things that the dogs have managed to get their grubby little paws on and eat. We are very careful when we leave them that they can't get to anything, but there have been a couple of lapses.

Last week, for example, they managed to push the bathroom door open (I still can't work out how) and eat three candles off the side of the bath. Frantically rang the vet who told me that as they were unscented candles, it would be fine, and `the lab part of them' would sort it out. Sure enough, a day later, we had a back patio full of candle-poos.

Yesterday we got home and they were fast asleep on the floor, really, really asleep. And we thought, `awwww how sweet!' until we noticed the empty wrapping on the floor. They had snatched off the kitchen bench a 500g bag of banana chips and eaten the whole thing. They had managed to open the packet, and left that alone (thank god - plastic
) and polished off the chips. They were sleeping from a gluttonous stupor. Frantically rang the vet again, who said that dried fruit is actually very good for dogs - in slightly smaller doses.

Looking forward to a back patio full of banana-poos later.

What have your doggies eaten that they shouldn't have???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gigi will eat anything not bolted down... she has eaten cloves of garlic, pills, and other things... I watch her like you watch a two year old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES!! They ate a clove of garlic the day of the banana chip incident. Well, they tried - I found one on the floor with bite marks in it. I guess it wasn't quite to their taste! Anyone would think they were never fed

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

YES!! They ate a clove of garlic the day of the banana chip incident. Well, they tried - I found one on the floor with bite marks in it. I guess it wasn't quite to their taste! Anyone would think they were never fed
Garlic is actually good for dogs - helps with flea control.

Pearl will eat anything. In the past three years, she has eaten numerous tennis balls, lizards, two sweet acacia trees and an ocotillo cactus. She hasn't actually EATEN anything, except the lizards but, she's chewed the other items until there was nothing left.

I can no longer allow Ike to have steak bones. He vomits copiously, after eating one. Since Ike can't have them, Pearl doesn't get them either. They seem to be happy with their doggie biscuits, though.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This past chrismas my dad bought some chocolates for our candy dish and left them on this 1/2 table we have. well it was to tall for our cocker spaniel to get so the other dog got a piece dropped it on the floor for her
and took a piece for himself.
it was like he was trying to be sneaky since noone would miss a couple of pieces... i guess he didnt think about wrappers because they didnt eat those!

They both survived the chocolate....

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
my dog ate...

a whole bunch of grilled cheese sandwiches
some chocolate (wrapped in tin foil)
half of a McCain chocolate cake
a box of rum chocolate (apparently he was kind of drunk after that
)
and just about anything he found in the garbage

Also, one spring when I was cleaning the yard, I found a lot of dog poo that had hard red plastic in it. I still can't figure out what he ate, but it couldn't have been good!

And there are probably quite a few more incidents I am forgetting.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I don't currently have dogs, I do have some dog stories along these lines.

When we had our Weimeriener, Dutchess, Dad thought he would surprise us girls for Easter. He took the REAL hard boiled, decorated eggs and hid them really good throughout the house (it was a snowy Easter) before he went to bed. In the middle of the night, he heard a *crunch crunch* noise, but didn't think much of it. In the morning, though, we didn't find the eggs - just the remnants of the eggs, and a dog with a bad tummy ache and even worse gas.
Dutchess was an outside dog that Easter!

Our little black dog Felicia had a bad habit of eating a lot of bad things. She particularly liked underwear.
Clean or dirty, didn't matter. But it was horribly embarassing to us teenage girls to have the dog take off an run into the back yard with our underwear! She also ate Dad's hankerchiefs (used as kleenexes), Christmas presents (before we learned that we couldn't put ANYTHING under the tree until just before we opened gifts), tinsel (shiney poos!), and just about anything else she could get ahold of. She also ate Dad's pistachios one year. He just found a pile of the shells, expertly opened! LOL

At least we know our dogs are in good company, from reading this thread!

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was this dog that lived on a farm near here....And that dog...Loved to chew on and eventually swollow TIN CANS.........

I dont know what the owner was thinking letting him do this....But I guess it turned out ok since the dog did live till his upper teens......

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, ugh...I'm really trying my hardest to FORGET this, but Brynna got into the litter boxes a couple of weeks ago. Not only did she eat the contents and some litter, later her stomach decided to revolt and it all came back up. On my living room floor. ACK!!!!!
Want a good laugh? I had to put Vick's Vap-o-rub under my nose so I could clean it up without retching and getting sick myself. Like crime scene investigators do on t.v. for sites with decomposing bodies?
Needless to say, the boxes are moved in such a way that she can't get in them again.
Yuck. Yuck. YUCK!!! I'm grossed out all over again just thinking about it!

alessandra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I confine our dogs to the kitchen/laundry room when we're not home. One day we came home from shopping and found the remnants of about 10 cans of catfood. They had chewed open the soft aluminum cans and ate all of the food
There wasn't much metal on the floor and one of the dumb dogs actually vomited a bunch of metal fragments
I envisioned all 3 of them winding up in the hospital with their insides torn up
Fortunately they were fine. Now I make sure none of the cat food is accessible to them !!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lets see scoobie my basset hound is the eater in our family!
  • She ate a broom, chewed it to bits.
  • scrub brushes used for the grill
  • brand new outdoor carpet
  • rubber stoppers to a workout bench
  • her plastic water bowl
  • action figures ( total unknown) G-I joes, batman, army men.
  • underwear ( sometimes there is such colorful poop in the back yard)
  • unknown amount of furry mice for the cats
  • those sparkley pom pom balls( has to be at least 100)
I could probably go on and on!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a golden retiriever a long time ago and she ate every pair of black pump my mom ever owned(only black ones tohugh) ate zippers and buttons off of rain coats, tables, chairs, trash galore.. i almost forgot about her eating habits! LOL

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dicknleah

My list of things my dog didn't eat would be shorter so here it is.....
i was confused at first! i get it now though! she eats EVERYTHING!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She also ate Dad's hankerchiefs (used as kleenexes),
Ewwwwww! My family's dog used to do this too! OMG talk about gag factor as the dog licks boogers off your dad's hanky.

I walk a lab who's a real "grab and gobble" girl. The absolute worse thing is she eats poo. Whenever she poops, I have to be super quick to scoop and beat her to it. Unfortunately, not everyone scoops.
The other day she came across a fresh pile and started wolfing it down. I'm yelling "NO, leave it!" and trying to drag her off all the while gagging and trying not to barf.
Oh major occupational hazard.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dicknleah

My list of things my dog didn't eat would be shorter so here it is.....
You and me both Leah! I am constantly amazed at what China is chewing up next! Anything that isn't in her reach is what she doesn't chew, and that is NO exaggeration.

sheilad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first got Jessie and went to walk I noticed that she seemed to be pooping sawdust. Come to find out she was eating the wood shavings we lined her kennel with!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how about this...get ready to barf....

tampons!
not to mention underwear, socks (all dirty of course), kitty litterbox "treats", and all the chocolate under the christmas tree, he will even find the buried stuff and the ones that are wrapped in foil and plastic bags and eat all of it, tin foil and all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my *wipes tears away* this has been entertaining. And we thought OUR dogs were bad. They have, yes, eaten the cats litter when I haven't been watching and it is truly revolting, the smell, everything.

They also ate my Scrabble word book, the lid off my tupperware shaker
and two of my favourite pairs of shoes. One of my shell bracelets and a head scarf, and they always come into the bathroom when you're having a shower, root through your clothes, locate your knickers, run off with them and you have to dash out of the shower dripping all over the floor to retrieve your undies off them where they're chewing them on the couch...