Things you remember from your childhood

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Spitting out seeds from home-grown watermelons .
Then drying them and threading them onto cotton to make a necklace

Playing two ballers, skips, tag, kick the can, Jackie shine the light.

Putting potatoes in a bonfire to bake.

Swapping comics

Lucky bags

katya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember when I was 4 I would be helpful and mop the kitchen floor. I thought my mom would be so impressed.

In actually I ended up putting puddles of water everywhere and my mom had to clean it up

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my first memories is following my mother into her room to change my little sister's diaper. I was about 3.

Some of my favorite memories are spending time with the huge Italian family for holidays. No matter what the weather, the fathers took all the kids to the local school to play softball. It was fun trying to run the bases in 3' of snow!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of my memories involve my grandma

she worked 2nd shift and I remember waiting up for her to come home and if she got off early enough she would stop for an italian chicken sandwich at Burger king for me (she lived with us)

Her wrapping our presents in brown paper bags

going to the bar she worked at and her making me a Shirley Temple and the wierd guy there giving me a dollar

At our old house we had a huge plot of land behind it and I would go exploring, I had a little grove of trees that was my "fort" and I could spend hours in there, my grandma also had huge gardens I would help her weed

hearing the bullfrogs at the pond at night

My grandpa once told me that if I got salt on a bunny's tail it would stop to lick it off and I would be able to catch it (I really wanted a bunny) so I spent one afternoon running around the yard with a salt shaker

I can remember almost every single cat we ever had from Trouble to Stoney to Stripey (yes, I named them
)

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good memories

Going to Riding camp every summer in northern Michigan.

Bad memories

My Father was a Radio and Television announcer he was tragically killed in his Plane when I was 5 years old.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remembering my Great-Grandmother.
One of the sweetest things about her was when she was given a gift, she always said, "Just what I always wanted."

Strangely enough, my daughter uses this same expression. I really love that about her!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember going to Iowa to spend Easter's with my great grandparents
We would all go down there & stay with my great-grandma. I still remember her making us hot chocolate in the mornings, and always having ginger snaps in the freezer
I miss her so much

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Riding horses and spending every extra moment that I had with my cats, dog, horses, bunnies, etc. I had a lot of animals growing up.

The long horseback rides with Dad, just the two of us.

Making cookies with my Mom.

Great Thread!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, man....

Christmases before my maternal grandmother drove all of us away with her attitude, was about the only time all of the cousins on that side of the family could be together.....I remember one year my gift was a little nurses kit......I was so proud of it!

Before I started school, the same grandmother babysat me, I remember playing Go Fish, checkers, chinese checkers and dominos with my grandpa, putting puzzles together with him, riding in the back basket of grandma's threewheeled bike (she didn't drive) , playing pretend everything in her "formal" living room, playing kitchen and house in a space between two sets of hedges in her yard, I had dishes, pots, pans, spoons, even an old stove !

If mom and dad had to be somewhere really early, they'd take me over to my dad's parents next door to catch the school bus, I could watch Country Boy Eddie (local tv legend) and grandma would make me hot chocolate...hers was strange though.....hot water and cocoa powder. Spending the night there in the summer....I always slept with grandma, and you'd best be asleep before she was or you couldn't go to sleep for her snoring!
(ok, now I have to admit to a few tears this morning with these memories, I lost both of my last living grandparents last year)

Climbing trees until grandpa made dad cut the lower limbs off so I wouldn't kill myself.

Dressing up kitty and pushing him around in my baby carriage.

Playing pretend Dukes of Hazzard with my friends.

Going camping in the summer with mom and dad.

Getting up early one or two Saturday mornings in the summer to go blackberry picking with my mom and grandma.

GREAT Saturday morning cartoons!!

Big Easter egg hunts at church, and birthday parties with all my friends .

Visiting the zoo with my parents and grandparents, and going to Opryland with them and my aunt/uncle/cousins who live in Nashville.

Sleeping on the couch in the living room on Christmas Eve, hoping to catch Santa!

Starting piano lessons at 8 years old, and the older lady who taught me......she always told me stories and shared her homeade candy. Several years later, I was playing at a church where some people in a quartet that she played for many years before attended, and one of the guys asked me if she taught me, that he coud hear her influence in my music, which made me proud. I also had the opportunity when the lady passed away a few years ago, to be the pianist for the group who sang at her funeral.

Spending Friday nights after football games with my best friend in high school who was in the band.....and getting up early the next morning while everone else was still asleep 'cuz I had to go to work.

Working summers in the family shoe store since I was 13.....but still having time off to enjoy several afternoons at the swimming pool in town with my friends.

Those were much simpler times, and oh, so much fun!

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh...I remember one particular incident. I beat up a girl more than half my size! I was about 5 and she's 12. We were playing with buckets of water and she got me all wet. I know, playing with buckets of water..what do you expect? Haha ...I got really angry at her for making my lovely summer dress all wet and I beat her up...to a pulp, literally!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

GREAT Saturday morning cartoons!!
Oh I remember the cartoons when I was a kid! Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tom and Jerry, Popeye and all the great Saturday cartoons! Not like the crap they have on today.

I remember a big water fight, and slipping in the street. I didn't even realize I had skinned my knees until later.

I remember my brother putting a smoke bomb in the cooler and my mom screaming and scrambling to pull the plug.

I remember the hot hot summers spent at the swimming pool at the park.

I remember doing crafts at that same park.

I remember summer camp and sleeping beneath the stars (no tents or cabins)

I remember 4th of July fireworks. You could buy them at the store and they were much more awesome than the one's today.

I remember going trick or treating and you didn't have to worry about people giving you candy with razorblades, needles or poison in them.

I remember my dad taking me trick or treating and carrying a pillowcase to empty my candy in. And the people at the houses we went to gave my twice as much candy because they didn't think I had enough! We would go several blocks around my neighborhood and would have one of those paper grocery bags half full of candy!

I barely remember my dad holding me in his arms on my front porch watching a rare thunder and lightening storm. He was explaining this to me and to have a healthy respect for this beautiful wonder and not be afraid.

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite childhood memories always seemed to take place in the summer: Running through the sprinkler, getting fudgecicles from the ice cream truck, catching butterflies, frogs, toads & salamanders (yes, I was a tomboy!) Going to the drive-in movies with my folks, dressed in my pajamas--what a secure feeling!
Since my mom was not fond of cats, I only had one--at about age 6, Dad took me to the Animal Rescue League, and told me I could have any pet I saw--of course, I selected a little black kitten which I named "Midnight". Don't know what possessed me to do it, but perhaps a week or so later, I picked up Midnight, climbed upon the top of my folks' '58 Pontiac, and set the kitty on the rooftop (I was thinking that was where they liked to be since I had seen them roaming about like that in the cartoons!
) Unfortunately, Midnight got away, and never returned, so I never had any further privilege of feline ownership until I was grown and had left home.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite childhood memories are with my best friend Becky, who moved across the street from me when we were six years old. Her mom became like a mother to me and I had always wished her family would adopt me.

Strangely enough, Becky came into my life just as my oldest sister (and caretaker) went off to university, so it worked out that I had a loving influence in my life after my sister left.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember trying to dig a hole to China

Another memory was that I wanted to run away one day (don't ask
I think I was just mad...). So I packed my only bag and went outside and began hopping up and down, swinging my other arm. Why you ask? I was trying to catch a plane

Yes I was a weird child