things you do to save $$$

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I cut my own hair.
How does this go? I wish I could do this, but I am very doubtful about my abilities to do this!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

How does this go? I wish I could do this, but I am very doubtful about my abilities to do this!
Pretty well if you have the right kind of hair. I just cut my hair a couple weeks ago, here's how it turned out

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends and I get together once every 2 weeks for movie night. We each bring something...a bag of chips, someone else brings the dip, 1 person brings the movie and a third brings the soda. So for less than $3.00 per person we have an entire evening of fun.

When I make dinner, I make an extra portion. Even before I serve dinner I place that portion in a microwavable container. I then have it for lunch.

At night, I don't turn on the lights. I have hurricane lamps with candles. It give a nice soft glow in which everything (including my wrinkles) looks better. If I want to read, I have a little battery operated light or I group the candles. I have a friend who swears it helps keep her apartment warm in the winter too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, you all are great!

I like the idea of planting a vegetable garden of sorts. I live in an apartment but I guess I could do a window garden or have it inside.

I also like the idea of brushing teeth and showering at work
Water is included in the rent for me so this isn't an issue but that is a good idea.

I'm going to look into doing grocery shopping at Aldi's. I'll go there next weekend and check it out.

The weather has been great lately and so I haven't used my heat or airconditioning for a while which is great.

I wear glasses but also have contacts. Fortunately, I have enough supplies from when I had money to get me through until I leave.

There are a few things I have stayed attached to that I might have to give up but would really rather not: satellite radio and my apartment (might have to move to a cheaper place). But, first I'm selling nearly all my stuff. I mean, it's not like I can take it with me very easily anyways

Oh, and I also cut my own hair! It's not the best work but no one notices!

patriciapj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only tips I can add to the excellent posts are I only ever buy new underwear - all my other clothes come from charity shops as do my books and just about everything I need. Also I've given up doing a weekly or bi monthly huge food shop - I find that easily creates waste (which I HATE) - so I walk to the shops and buy little and often (always checking the reduced stuff first) A tip for cooks and foodies, even if you don't have a garden, it's very easy to grow fresh herbs on a windowsill - the seeds cost only pennies (compared to as much as a pound for a pot of eg fresh parsley) - and the pleasure in growing your own is priceless. I save every twenty pence coin that comes my way and this usually means a nice little lump sum for Christmas or a holiday. I've always been on a tight budget (single mum and multiple animals!) but I wouldn't be comfortable with too much money, it baffles me how rich people can be so publicly extravagent when there is such hideous poverty on our planet. Good luck with everything. Patricia

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I learned to after surgery several years ago. I couldn't make it to the hairdressers and I couldn't stand my hair any longer. LOL! It comes out ok - sometimes better than others, but thats how it was when I was going to the hairdressers anyways.

I need to start coloring soon though. Not so sure how thats going to go.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want to save money on cat litter, use those wood pellets people use for pellet stoves. A 40-50 lb bag costs about 6 bucks and lasts a LONG time. I get a bag about every 2 months for 1 cat.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I'm going to start doing is trying to forgo grocery delivery.

Delivery at Safeway used to be $6.00 plus 13% tax. I was balancing my April budget last evening and noticed on my April grocery bill that the delivery charge is now $9.00 plus 13% tax.

Safeway is only about 9 blocks from where I live, but I have a hard time walking long distances because of my fainting issues, as well as shortness of breath. But last week when I went grocery shopping it was nice out and I decided to try to walk back with the shopping cart, and see how I managed. The cart was there for me to hold onto in the event I got light headed, and there are apartments along the way where I could sit on steps if need be. It took me 45 minutes but I made it home.

Not only did I save $10.15 delivery, plus the price of cab fare ($8.00) to get home, but I got in some extra exercise and some vitamin D from the sun.

So if I wait to do my shopping on nice days, I can save myself $18.15 per shopping trip. I usually go twice a month, so that is a savings of $36.30.

Of course I'll need to do delivery during the winter, but for the nicer months I can save some money.