Things to do with Leeks

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
*bump* hey when a sick person makes a funny joke it should be laughed at...or at least deserve a one handed clap *sighs*

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

*bump* hey when a sick person makes a funny joke it should be laughed at...or at least deserve a one handed clap *sighs*
I thought it was funny

I can just imagine someone being thwacked about the head with a floppy leek

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also make sure you clean them very very well as they can be very sandy and it's not pleasant to eat grit (not grits).

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Am I the only one that doesn't know what a Leek is?
I'm shocked- this is the Welsh national vegetable (I believe there is an American national vegetable but I digress
). It looks like the picture below and has quite a subtle onion-like taste. Very cheap in the UK for some reason, I'd never thought of them being expensive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid $3 or 4 dollars for about the amount shown there, which I'd consider rather expensive considering that you only eat the whites, and that's the same price as a watermellon during the summer.
Guess it's all on perspective (and location lol)
The tort is soooooo good. I recomend it to EVERYONE!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I paid $3 or 4 dollars for about the amount shown there, which I'd consider rather expensive considering that you only eat the whites, and that's the same price as a watermellon during the summer.
Guess it's all on perspective (and location lol)
The tort is soooooo good. I recomend it to EVERYONE!
I'm horrified- the greenery is the bestest bit

No wonder they seem so expensive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seriously? You eat the greenery on leeks? EVERYONE that I've talked to here (and watched on TV) always throws out the greenery. How do you cook it? It's always considered "woody" when described...maybe they're less so there???? I'll give it a try next time I buy some if you give me a recipe

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

seriously? You eat the greenery on leeks? EVERYONE that I've talked to here (and watched on TV) always throws out the greenery. How do you cook it? It's always considered "woody" when described...maybe they're less so there???? I'll give it a try next time I buy some if you give me a recipe
You need to boil them well and they taste a little like spinach but I'd never just eat the white, when making potato and leek soup I use the lot. It is always wise to wash them carefully though

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut off just the very top and outside green bits, run a knife down the whole hting to be able to wash tem out (it is importasnt to get hte mud and sand out) and then slice them or cut them in lengths depending on what I am going to do with them. But I agree, I think of them as a very cheap vegetable, as well as very versatile.