Thin Kitten

MyHeartAshi

Meows are the best "Welcome Homes"
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have a 4.5 month old male kitten named Taco who basically looks like he is 10 weeks old. He is a tiny thing but beyond just being a small kitten. He was 1.1 pounds at his vet check two weeks ago and might have put on a pound but not much more than that. He is also extremely food motivated. He will go after any human food he sees, he loves his wet food, and he does eat dry food throughout the day. But he just seems to be missing something. The vets all say he's just tiny and to wait and see but I feel like there is something that might be off. He is otherwise extremely healthy. Active, loving, and good fecal output. He has been vaccinated, dewormed, and tested for FELV. I am considering doing a blood test next week when I take my other kitten in for her booster shots. Anyone have any ideas or similar situations that you might be able to give some tips on why he might not be putting on weight? I appreciate any help possible. Picture of Mr. Taco below :)

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if this is the same problem at all, but one of my cats is also tiny. I ended up switching her to a grain free, high protein diet. She was seriously scaring me, she was a walking furry skeleton. She was on a high quality diet as a kitten, but do to some financial issues I had down graded the cat's to a cheaper brand to try to save some money, and her stopped growing. It turns out she is lacking an enzyme or something that allows the digestion of grain. So she was eating but not really getting anything out of it when on the cheap food. She went from barely 5 pounds (as a full grow adult) to 6.5 pounds now. I know that doesn't sound that small, but she is half Maine Coon and her litter mates are 12-14lbs.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine was a tiny scrawny kitten and eventually grew into a tiny 5 pound adult with paws that were about half the size of a normal cat. But despite her slight size she was a healthy cat and lived to be 19.