They told me she was a Maine Coon and Ragdoll Mix

garya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Cameron, she is 9.  I recently got her through a rescue, she was with her original family but they had to give her up.  They said she was a Maine Coon and Ragdoll mix.  Thoughts on that?

Also, what would you call her coloring?  Unfortunately, we had to have her shaved down because she was so matted.  But it is interesting to see that her color goes all the way to her skin!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelters often try to "label" cats to a breed, like they do with dogs. It makes them easier to adopt, they believe.  Most of it is so far inaccurate, though.  Cats are not like dogs.  Without proof of lineage, they fall in to the Domestic category or "moggie" to a lot of breeders.  It basically means the same thing as mutt to the dog world.  Unlike dogs, mixed breed cats do not have cool names because they are just Domestic, an average every day cat with nothing that sets them apart.  I heard less than 2% of the cats in the world are actually purebred.  She's beautiful, though.  I am not saying she is not a mix of those two but it would still put her in the Domestic category.

As for coloring, (she's a calico, a tri colored kitty with patches of color rather than blended together), with tabby markings it looks to me.  A breeder may be able to narrow it down more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.  She wasn't actually in a shelter, she lived with her original family who had raised her from a bottle-fed kitten to an adult.  She was listed on Petfinder as a Maine Coon/Ragdoll.

She certainly doesn't have the personality of a Ragdoll, lol.

I had settled on calico, but didn't see the tabby.  Thanks for the info.  She did have a really beautiful long coat, but we unfortunately have to start over due to the matting.  Poor thing.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks.  She wasn't actually in a shelter, she lived with her original family who had raised her from a bottle-fed kitten to an adult.  She was listed on Petfinder as a Maine Coon/Ragdoll.

She certainly doesn't have the personality of a Ragdoll, lol.

I had settled on calico, but didn't see the tabby.  Thanks for the info.  She did have a really beautiful long coat, but we unfortunately have to start over due to the matting.  Poor thing.
Well, still on Petfinder it asks for a description and without paper work to confirm it, then Domestic long hair would be her "label."  She could be Maine Coon but their muzzles are usually more "square" and "wider".  And ears are really pointed.  She is beautiful.  And she will be even more so in a few months.