They kicked me out of the shelter...

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Callista,I think it's a great letter. At least you may get an explanation to ease your mind! And maybe even get the ball rolling to start a volunteer program. One thing I would do,tho...I'd put in a timeline.....like...."would appreciate a response by so and so date." Then if you don't hear from them....write another one! Maybe the higher-ups don't realize whats going on.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callista, I know you must be sad about this but I was thinking along the same lines as Epona - that it might be an insurance issue. If one of the cats bit/scratched you and you got ill their insurance wouldn't cover it. Also there is the risk of you suing them in the event you were to get hurt on their property and these days everyone seems to be sue-happy.

Sometimes the decisions made by management are not always understood by the general masses, but the decisions are most often based on the company's liabilities as well as financial/future planning/etc.

This may well have absolutely nothing to do with you and everything to do with the company's responsibility.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Callista,I think it's a great letter. At least you may get an explanation to ease your mind! And maybe even get the ball rolling to start a volunteer program. One thing I would do,tho...I'd put in a timeline.....like...."would appreciate a response by so and so date." Then if you don't hear from them....write another one! Maybe the higher-ups don't realize whats going on.
& even if it is an insurance issue, an explanation would be nice. i didn't see any obvious grammatical/spelling mistakes, either. i think it's a fine letter.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Hello Callista,

Did you send it yet? It seems to me that you are concentrating on what happened in the past instead of suggesting what you could do for them in the future and your passion for animals. Asking for an explanation might make them defensive. What I'd suggest is you get your thoughts together on what you can do for them and how it would be a benefit to them and the animals. Be specific. Although it would be in letter form, it would still be a proposal of sorts. I'm on my way out the door, if you'd like some help with it, you can PM me. Then your final product you could post to maybe get others remarks. Don't be in a rush to do it. If you are going to take this route, you want to do it right to get the desired results.
These are great suggestions, but I think the letter you have is also very good! Instead of rewriting it, you could just add on to it. Hope this helps some.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Callista,

I think the other posters have good points. You do have a right to an explanation. As Jenny82 mentioned, you could just add something on if you'd like to offer your services.

You mentioned what you don't have, but it is crystal clear that you do have a willingness to help and to be a blessing to these animals. Getting volunteers isn't easy for many organizations. Your heart for animals and your willingness to work is an awesome quality. Because you were feeling down it might be hard to see how much you have to offer. It sounds as though you'd be a great asset to an organization.

This place may not change their mind for whatever reason. The insurance reason makes a lot of sense. But I bet you will find a place where your passion will be found to be an asset. And maybe it won't happen tomorrow. But try not to get discouraged. You'll find your place.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Callista,, Don't get discouraged.. You may not feel like a strong leader,, but your amibitions and heart are what guide during trials in life.

Your letter is good and too the point.. I would not necessarily ask for an explaination but more state what you can do as a volunteer. Also state that you are not looking for money or compensation or a free cat or anything. You just want to be there with the kittens to provide stability and human contact.

The insurance maybe a reason,, but a letter waiving liability might be a good suggestion if that is their reasoning. Just ask them to either call you or email you or something to clarify why you can no longer visit.. Maybe an attorney can help you,, or maybe someone on here whose an attorney can give you thoughts on this...

Good luck,, and have you emailed 10th Life yet???

Heather

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*sigh* No... the Web site said "[event is past; email removed]" so I can't get their e-mail from that.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good letter!

I know you are a college student, and I can't remember if you have a part-time job. I don't know what your goals are after college, but since you have a desire to be near the animals, especially cats, have you ever thought of becoming a vet tech? Or maybe even a vet? Don't be discouraged. Eventually someone will recognize what a valuable service you can provide!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ran across your thread Callista- I can't believe how you were treated by those people! That is simply aweful.
Well, even if they didn't appreciate your presence there- i'm sure those kitties did appreciate your love and attention! You are such a wonderful person! Do not let others look down on you because you may be different- it is our differences that make us beautiful! I can definitely see what a beautiful and kind person you are! I would love to have someone like you in my city to help out at the shelters I volunteer at! We are always in desperate need of foster homes and wonderful volunteers. I am truely sorry for the way those people treated you- but I also believe that your good work did not go unappreciated by those beautiful kitties you tried so desperately to help! Keep up the good work sweetie and keep your chin up! / Also, if you truely want to help animals- and you are able to foster....I have a WONDERFUL alternative for you if you are able to do it....... www.siameserescue.org .....they are located in the US and have several chapters throughout the country- there are cats in all states and in numerous foster homes. They are always in need of wonderful help and good homes. If you are able to help - try filling out the volunteer application
I'm sure they would love your help and appreciate your hard work
Keep your chin up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird you should bump this thread today--I just posted on having found another shelter! Being limited by not having a car or driver's license, I have trouble getting out of the city... but this one is just 6.5 miles away!

Tenth Life Shelter

The link leads to my post, in which I basically go on and on about my first day there