they all think she's so aloof...

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my current living situation is in my mom's house, along with my sister, my BIL, their 3 kids, and their dog.
Enough to make a 38-year-old adult feel like a dependent kid again, right?

Anyhoo, Holland is VERY scared of the dog and of people that aren't her meowmy. We live in the basement, which makes me sad because she is down there by herself TOO much during the day when I am at work. The dog and my nieces go to bed at the same time, so I stay upstairs for a while most evenings to let Holland up to explore the house, look out the windows, and just be free for a little bit.

Last night she wouldn't come up when I called her, so I went downstairs and told her she could come up whenever she wanted (we were watching Biggest Loser, my guilty pleasure reality show...
), and I went back up to watch the TV. Then I heard my mom in the kitchen saying "What are you doing? Are you looking for Bridget?" I didn't realize Holland had come upstairs...
I got up and went into the kitchen, and there was my little black beauty, and as soon as she saw me, she came running!
My mom told me she had paced across the kitchen a good 3-4 times, had sat and looked at my mom for a minute, and my mom finally realized Holland was looking for me.

Aw, it made my heart melt when she came running to me... my family doesn't understand how much I love her, because all they see is a scaredy-cat who wants nothing to do with them. It was just a really cute moment...

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is so sweet!!!
Of course Holland loves her meowmy!

I would say Genever is the same way, but she goes up to pretty much everyone. Well, that's not entirely true. She likes pretty much everyone, but will run to me and her daddy, and she will also run to her Uncle Scott. She loves us!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations to your family for managing so well with all the family and mixed pets. It speaks well for all of you. Bless your little kitty. She sounds like a sweet one.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Whisky was younger, he would come running to me when I came home. As a matter of fact, he did that up until about 2-3 years before he passed.

That is such an awesome feeling because you know how much they love you and want to be with you.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your sweet girl sounds alot like my Pixie, only my sister and her kids only visit but Pixie hides most of the time when they are here as they drive her crazy. She waits for me to come in from work and then is all over me. And they still can't understand the love I have for my cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sweet! Kudos to your mom for figuring out that Holland was looking for you, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's such a silly thought, but I always think about how Holland doesn't really know my name... For most of our time together we've lived alone, and I always talk to her about "mommy" this and "mommy" that... so when my mom asked her if she was "looking for Bridget" I figured Holland wouldn't have any idea who she was talking about!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! It sounds like Holland is branching out a little if she came upstairs on her own. I find it strange that your family, who have a dog, can't understand the bond between cat and person. Aren't they bonded to their dog?

Seems like by now they would have accepted, if not understood, the situation and let it be what it is.

<feeling protective of you and Holland>

I didn't know your name is Bridget, I love that name. When I was little I used to fantasize that my name was Bridget!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's cute that she was looking for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

WOW! It sounds like Holland is branching out a little if she came upstairs on her own. I find it strange that your family, who have a dog, can't understand the bond between cat and person. Aren't they bonded to their dog?

Seems like by now they would have accepted, if not understood, the situation and let it be what it is.

<feeling protective of you and Holland>

I didn't know your name is Bridget, I love that name. When I was little I used to fantasize that my name was Bridget!
Thanks, otto.
I think deep down they DO understand, and they DO love their dog, but he's an absolute attention *****...
you throw a ball for him or pet him ONCE and he's your best friend forever and won't leave you alone.
So more often than not they're telling him to go lie down... He's a sweet dog but he will drive a person crazy.

Actually, having Holland run to me like that the other night in front of my mom really showed them something... I think THEY think she's scared ALL the time, so having my mom actually see firsthand that she loves me and misses me was a wonderful thing. She even told the story about how Holland was looking for me to my nephew, my BIL and my sister...

In all honesty, I think they're a bit jealous. When Holland is in the same room as them - no matter how many times I say to let HER come to THEM - they try to slowly approach her and surprise!, she runs away. I can't blame them for wanting to stroke her shiny, soft fur, but she doesn't let ANYONE but mommy do that...

ETA: Thanks everyone!
I love that I can come here and brag about my girl...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only they would learn to let her be,( and understand that cats and dogs are very different. ) Then she might decide to approach one of them! Of course then the one selected would probably ruin it by jumping up and trying to snatch at her and scare her away.

Yes, that your mother witnessed Holland looking for you then running to you may go a way toward helping them understand.