There's something really wrong with my cat...please help!

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
please take your cat to the vet, and please come back and explain what you meant by "leaving her". If you cannot afford a pet, you should not have one. A lot of vets offer Care Credit, which is a low interest payment plan for vet visits. Or get a low interest credit card to keep for emergencies only. Or, like I do, have a special savings account just for your animals. I have 3 dogs and 6 cats, so I cannot afford to not have money to get them treated, because with that many, something is always bound to pop up. If you cannot do this, please find a rescue willing to take her, because it is very selfish to not take her to the vet. She relies on you and you are letting her down.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

If you cannot afford a pet, you should not have one.
But you have to understand that peoples circumstances can change,all of us are
really only one pay check from living on the streets,anything can happen in peoples
lives that can cause financial difficulties and we shouldn't judge people on their
financial situation because we know nothing about them or the sacrifices they have
made to keep their pet.

Supernaturel loves their cat and was good enough to give her a home.Hopefully Super
was brave enough to come back and see those links and maybe even just come back
and let us know what happened to Princess and how she is doing now,although I won't blame Super if they don't want us to know.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

really only one pay check from living on the streets,anything can happen in peoples
lives that can cause financial difficulties and we shouldn't judge people on their
financial situation because we know nothing about them or the sacrifices they have
made to keep their pet.

Supernaturel loves their cat and was good enough to give her a home.Hopefully Super
was brave enough to come back and see those links and maybe even just come back
and let us know what happened to Princess and how she is doing now,although I won't blame Super if they don't want us to know.
you are so right, sometimes people pass judgement too quickly/easily/harshly

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
made to keep their pet.
I do understand that circumstances change, I really do, but I also have a plan in place in case my circumstances change. I have money that is absolutely not touched under any circumstance, it is only for my animals. Now, I know the average person does not need this, but I have 6 cats and 3 dogs. Anything can happen, and it takes a lot more money to keep up with a crew like mine than just one cat. BUT, that being said, there is no excuse to not take a cat that obviously has something wrong with it, something as extreme as not being able to use its hind legs. Get out a credit card, borrow some cash, make an effort to ask your vet if you can make payments, sell something. Giving up and getting rid of your cat is not going to solve the problem. When I started out, and got my first cat, I discovered he needed surgery to get rid of an umbilical hernia that wasn't taken care of at the shelter. I'll tell you that every bill I had that month was late being paid, but my cat had his surgery. I was 19 years old at the time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

you are so right, sometimes people pass judgement too quickly/easily/harshly
But no one really did! This forum is so great because everyone is so nice. I have seen some forums where they are totally nasty to people with opinions different then the majority. One forum I am on has a smilie eating a bag of popcorn to post when the conversation is about to get out of hand and they are ready for the show which I think is ridiculous. Especially when there are about 10 responses of just that smilie.

Anyways, I too hope that Supernatural comes back and lets us know what became of her cat. Hopefully it is just a blockage and they tried some cat lax to help. Sounds a little more serious though. I hope they called the vet and took the cat in for an initial visit and discussed payment options.

If not then I feel awful for his poor kitty. She really needs a vet if she is in pain like that. Hopefully this all turns out alright.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

But no one really did! This forum is so great because everyone is so nice. I have seen some forums where they are totally nasty to people with opinions different then the majority. One forum I am on has a smilie eating a bag of popcorn to post when the conversation is about to get out of hand and they are ready for the show which I think is ridiculous. Especially when there are about 10 responses of just that smilie.

Anyways, I too hope that Supernatural comes back and lets us know what became of her cat. Hopefully it is just a blockage and they tried some cat lax to help. Sounds a little more serious though. I hope they called the vet and took the cat in for an initial visit and discussed payment options.

If not then I feel awful for his poor kitty. She really needs a vet if she is in pain like that. Hopefully this all turns out alright.
well, i think that telling someone they shouldnt own pets in a situation like this (and we dont even know all the circumstances) is a bit harsh and just plain mean but you are right that this is one of the nicer forums out there, i have seen threads as you described on some forums they can get SO nasty and ive seen that bag of popcorn smilie too, yeah thats just sick.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I do understand that circumstances change, I really do, but I also have a plan in place in case my circumstances change. I have money that is absolutely not touched under any circumstance, it is only for my animals. Now, I know the average person does not need this, but I have 6 cats and 3 dogs. Anything can happen, and it takes a lot more money to keep up with a crew like mine than just one cat. BUT, that being said, there is no excuse to not take a cat that obviously has something wrong with it, something as extreme as not being able to use its hind legs. Get out a credit card, borrow some cash, make an effort to ask your vet if you can make payments, sell something. Giving up and getting rid of your cat is not going to solve the problem. When I started out, and got my first cat, I discovered he needed surgery to get rid of an umbilical hernia that wasn't taken care of at the shelter. I'll tell you that every bill I had that month was late being paid, but my cat had his surgery. I was 19 years old at the time.
I think you make a number of valid points here. However, I think that it addresses only a portion of the population that would probably not have the problem of not having the money to take an animal to the vet.

For people who have the ability to put a plan in place to have money to cover vet bills that come up, it probably means that they're not juggling *which* bill they're going to pay every month, and juggling termination notices because they're not making enough income to pay all of the bills and are constantly on the wheel trying to catch up. It takes a lot of time, and if you're in that situation... you probably do not have a credit card, especially with a low interest rate, with any available balance at all.

If you're in a situation where you're struggling and don't have credit.. it probably means that you don't have relatives that can help you out because it probably means you come from a poor background, which means your family doesn't have the money or the credit, or the savings to lend you.

Supernatural is being lumped into a category here that suggests if she had the means to do any of that, she's simply choosing *not* to spend her money and making the choice to easily and willingly let her cat suffer. No one can be sure, but I'm willing to bet that's not the case.

And one more point, if you have something worthy of selling (may or may not be the case), a pawn shop is going to give you a pittance of whatever it is is worth, and to sell it the proper way.. is going to take days. The point here was to not make the cat wait days, right?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I think you make a number of valid points here. However, I think that it addresses only a portion of the population that would probably not have the problem of not having the money to take an animal to the vet.

For people who have the ability to put a plan in place to have money to cover vet bills that come up, it probably means that they're not juggling *which* bill they're going to pay every month, and juggling termination notices because they're not making enough income to pay all of the bills and are constantly on the wheel trying to catch up. It takes a lot of time, and if you're in that situation... you probably do not have a credit card, especially with a low interest rate, with any available balance at all.

If you're in a situation where you're struggling and don't have credit.. it probably means that you don't have relatives that can help you out because it probably means you come from a poor background, which means your family doesn't have the money or the credit, or the savings to lend you.

Supernatural is being lumped into a category here that suggests if she had the means to do any of that, she's simply choosing *not* to spend her money and making the choice to easily and willingly let her cat suffer. No one can be sure, but I'm willing to bet that's not the case.

And one more point, if you have something worthy of selling (may or may not be the case), a pawn shop is going to give you a pittance of whatever it is is worth, and to sell it the proper way.. is going to take days. The point here was to not make the cat wait days, right?
very well said heather

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

well, i think that telling someone they shouldnt own pets is a bit harsh and just plain mean but you are right that is one of the nicer forums out there, i have seen threads as you described on some forums they can get SO nasty and ive seen that bag of popcorn smilie too, yeah thats just sick.
oh crap ya I forgot about that comment. Kind mean, but it could be worse! Anyways, I know what it is like to be low on money and praying that nothing happens to your cats! I have 7 cats and 3 fosters at the moment. But times have just been tough right now. If an emergency came up I would be screwed. But for little things, my teacher is like an expert on home remedies and alternatives to going to the vet, so I am set for the small stuff!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

You know what your talking about

It doesn't matter how much savings you have in the bank(and believe me I've found
that out myself) or how much you ' plan' for unexpected circumstances,Life doesn't
work around any of us or our finances,Even millionaires have found themselves homeless in a matter of a couple of months so it can happen to anybody.

"There for the grace of God go I "

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really am not trying to be mean here, especially since I only joined the forum a few days ago. I am trying to say that, yes, I understand maybe pushing back a vet appoinment for annual vaccinations, etc. These things are not life threatening. I have done this myself. My cats are UTD and strictly indoors, so the chances of them getting anything are pretty slim. I'm just saying that, in this situation, where the cat cannot walk on its hind legs, is a little more serious. It is inhumane to let the animal suffer. There is obviously something wrong, and most likely it will not cure itself. The cat needs to see a vet, plain and simple.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always agreed that the cat needs to see the vet. In every one of my posts I've stated that, and I agree with you completely. I'm sure that the cat is in very serious condition. Ultimately, my goal was to see the cat get treatment, I'm just saying it's probably not a case of she can pay for it but chooses not to.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please remember NO NEGATIVE feedback .... oh and I aint yelling just stressing...
And just a brush up of the Rules and guidlines

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.
that is just the first one

I do hope the kitty is doing well and that the appropriate care has been saught....

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed the kitty has been seen by a vet and is doing ok now.

Over here the new animal welfare act places a legal duty on pet owners to care for their animals (previously owners could only be prosecuted once cruelty had taken place). One of the requirements is to prevent and treat illness and injury so an owner could be prosecuted for failing to take an animal to a vet. And I think that's right. An animal's basic needs aren't secondary to ours. If they need veterinary treatment they need it. I understand that people's circumstances change but if someone finds themselves in a position where they can no longer afford an initial vet consultation then I think they have an obligation to surrender the animal to a no kill shelter.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bemyonlyone

I just don't even understand how anyone can think it's an acceptable option to not take their pet to the vet.
no one, not even the OP, has said its an acceptable option.