there is a cat living in my basement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks LDG for the links. I learned a whole lot just by reading those.
I wouldn't think a true feral would be living in a neighborhood like mine, but I could be wrong. I'm heading to the vet right now to pick up my dog and I'm going to talk to him, but I think I might be better off using one of the clinics that mamiof4 suggest, since I know they have experience with cats that may be less than friendly. Thanks everyone for your advice, it has been really helpful. I wouldn't be able to do this at all without your help.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Really good points, all of them.
Also, if you're going with the trap, put a tarp or plastic sheet or something down on the car seat where you'll be placing the trap. Scared kitties often pee or poop or vomit when you start driving out of fear, poor babies.

With our vet, we just drop the cat off in the trap whenever the cat is trapped (or when the vet opens in the morning if trapped at night), and they do their thing and call us to let us know when we can pick up the kitty. Many vets will sedate the kitty in the trap or release kitty into a chamber where they can be sedated with a gas and just avoid all the handling hassle.
And a towel over the tarp to absorb the pee. Poor Jennie peed in the trap. I had a plastic sheet under the trap but did not think to put an absorbent towel over the tarp, and under the trap, and the pee simply rolled off the tarp onto my car seat.

Keep us updated!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It just takes one un-altered pet to escape to run into a wandering stray tom (that travels miles looking for mates) to start the cycle of breeding and resulting in neighborhood outside kitties..
So any neighborhood or area could have strays/ferals imho and they may not be visible.

Good luck with the vet!!!!!

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have great news! My vet is very experienced handling cats that are less than friendly...there where 3 in his office today. All I have to do is trap the kitty and take her to him. Then he will sedate her still in the cage, spade her, vaccinate her and put her in my carrier after she's finished
His surgery days are wed. and thurs. so I really need to try and get her there tue or wed. All I need to do now is find someone that I can borrow a cage from and start getting her used to it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many feed stores rent them as well as humane societies or rescue groups. Even exterminators use them when trapping raccoons and squirrels in attics. Call around and see what you can find.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is GREAT news!

When you obtain a trap, give it a wash with a very light bleach solution - get the smell of other cats and fear off of it. When it's dry, spray it with Feliway.

In the meantime, put food out for her at the same time every day - ideally at the time you would like to trap her, but she will be OK in the trap overnight if need be (just place it in the basement or some place out of the weather). Get her used to the feeding schedule (and do pick the food up so she only has a window of time in which to come to eat it).

When you get the trap and clean it up and it's prepped for her, put it in the same place you've been feeding her. Pour loose dirt over the bottom of it so she doesn't have to walk on the wires - the trap will just lift up out of it. Cover it with some sticks and leaves - and leave both ends open.

You can try setting it the very first time, though we always feed them in the trap without it being set for a few days - then we use a really stinky food (we use salmon, but some use KFC, no skin - others use sardines (no sauce) - whatever you want to try) the day we set the trap.

And otto? You are SO right! We use paper towels - but I did forget that step and apparently always do when writing about it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandy2u1

I have great news! My vet is very experienced handling cats that are less than friendly...there where 3 in his office today.
If a vet treats a lot of cats chances are they've dealt with plenty that do not want to be there and are far from pleasant. Even a tame cat can act wild at the vet.

You don't even know yet if this kitty may be socialized. Lots of cats are just scaredy cats and will run from anyone they don't know. Others will just act skittish outside. I have one that kept a minimum of about 5-6 yards from me until I opened up a can of cat food in front of her one day. Skittish cat instantly turned into "feed me now" cat.
She's been stuck on me since.

I hope that's the case with the one you have. Just have patience. And sure, she won't like you for this, but cats can get over things.

If you go to buy a humane trap it should cost you around $30-40.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's wonderful news! Finding a vet who isn't afraid to handle unknown cats is worth its weight in gold.

Good luck. You will be writing soon about your progress. Has the cat told you her name yet?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If a vet treats a lot of cats chances are they've dealt with plenty that do not want to be there and are far from pleasant. Even a tame cat can act wild at the vet.

You don't even know yet if this kitty may be socialized. Lots of cats are just scaredy cats and will run from anyone they don't know. Others will just act skittish outside. I have one that kept a minimum of about 5-6 yards from me until I opened up a can of cat food in front of her one day. Skittish cat instantly turned into "feed me now" cat.
She's been stuck on me since.

I hope that's the case with the one you have. Just have patience. And sure, she won't like you for this, but cats can get over things.

If you go to buy a humane trap it should cost you around $30-40.
I was thinking this too. I couldn't get near Jennie, but once she was in the trap she was quite tame, and the day I bought her home (straight from the vet and her spay, etc) it was clear she was so happy to be in a warm safe loving home. She purred so loud and stared at me so happily I burst into tears!

Do keep us updated!

(just want to clarify with the KFC: remove bones

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope my little basement kitty will turn out to be friendly and happy to have a new home. If she seems to have a hard time adjusting, I will take her back to the basement if I have to, but I hope I don't especially after violating her trust. Today while Max and I were in the bathroom (no I'm not a weirdo, he just always wants to be in the same room that I am in) he was loudly telling me that he wants his breakfast and she started meowing back to him. I could hear her through the vent. He went looking all around the house for the kitty. Of course, then he came to remind me again that it was time for breakfast
To bad I couldn't get the little girl in here before the snow hit us. I'm going to check on her tonight and make sure she's ok and make sure her water doesn't freeze. I wish she were in here and cozy with us.
I was thinking I can get a trap monday and offer her canned cat food or kfc or whatever tasty treat I can tempt her with in the trap and still offer her dry cat food outside the trap. I'm thinking it might take her a while to get the nerve to get in the trap to get food. I don't want her to go without a meal ever again. Will that work? Or will I have to make it were she only has one choice?

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just one word of caution. Strays and ferals may have suffered some amount of organ damage due to early malnutrition. If your vet doesn't automatically do pre anesthesia blood-work, it is worth paying the extra for. If the kidneys and liver aren't performing 100% the vet may want to use a different anesthetic.

I recently trapped two feral kittens I had worked with all summer and took them to the vet. the state reimburses the vet for a few sterilizations every month, but doesn't cover the blood work, vaccinations or pain meds.

The female not only did fine in surgery she socialized remarkably fast and has been adopted. The male went into seizures on the operating table and while the vet was able to keep him alive he never recovered enough to have any quality of life and had to be euthanized.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I do get her trapped, if she turns out to be truly unsociable, then I probably won't have a choice in the matter. I doubt my vet would be willing to draw blood without the sedation. I don't even think he did that with my cat and dog I keep in the house when I had them neutered and spayed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

The male went into seizures on the operating table and while the vet was able to keep him alive he never recovered enough to have any quality of life and had to be euthanized.
You're spooking me a bit (yes, I always know is a possibility). I still have a former feral female kitten to spay. I'm sorry you lost the little boy.

All the vets I've used will take blood both ways. They don't sedate when they take blood for FeLV/FIV tests. Others have been awake for other draws.
But yes, please please get the pre-op blood test. It doesn't cost that much and it's worth it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Congratulations on being Chosen!
Wasn't there a movie by this name? Well, you were chosen just as Greycat (over the bridge) chose me, except we don't have basements in Texas. She lived on the front porch until we were both ready for each other and the cat that already lived in the house. After a few hisses they settled down, and just like Persi & Alley became good friends.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The little girl isn't even coming to eat in my basement anymore
I should have left her alone and not tried to catch her.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like I have run her out of my basement
I hope nothing terrible has happened to her. Her food isn't being touched...I should have left her alone

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep asking myself why I'm crying over a cat that I have never even really met. It just really bothers me that that beautiful sweet kitty doesn't have anywhere safe to go now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry sweetie.

What happened? Did she disappear when you put out a trap? Or did you try to crate her without a trap?

Was she coming by every day?

Either way, with a steady food source there it just means she does has some place of safety and a source of food - or she would be back.

Cats are interesting and amazing creatures. Keep an eye out - you never know, she may be back.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that she comes back!!!

Please don't be so hard on yourself. You had her best intentions in your heart. Sometimes things just don't happen as how we would expect them to work out and things are delayed.

We were feeding a feral kitty in the summer and after we got her trapped and spayed, we didn't see her for 2 weeks after we released her. I was worried sick about her. But she did come back as we were a good food source.
So she may have gotten spooked but food is a good motivator and she may be back. (That kitty is now in my spare bedroom by the way!)