Theory On Cat Hibernation.

Roxy and Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have six cats, and I've noticed EVERY year that they sleep more during winter. This may not be hibernation, but it's close to it. I'm still studying them, but I'd like everyone's thoughts.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R Roxy and Siam - All felines are predatory, and as such - other than in locales very close to the equator, where the length of days and nights remains quite constant - cats adapt their sleeping patterns so that their period of greatest activity is at twilight - when, in their natural habitat, they'd have the best opportunity to avail themselves of their eyesight, and hence, catch more prey.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roxy and Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hm. Never thought of it like that, I just made a fun theory. Sorry for not being scientifically accurate, I'm not very good in the field of cat behavior. More in human behavior.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Minnesota where winters are cold and long and I do think my cats have slept more and were less active in winter. It may be less light or it could be that it is much more comfy and warm cuddled up in the bed or in front of a heat vent than it is moving around or playing. Or it could be they become more bored in winter because there is little to see outdoors to keep them entertained.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience cats do sleep more in the winter. susanm9006 susanm9006 has listed some really good reasons. It's good sleeping weather!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
And, at least here there is such a thing as the Spring crazies. Sometimes the cats will forewarn us of a Spring warm up by suddenly starting to go insane. Even my old cats will turn into kittens for a brief while running and playing.