Thelazia in Cats

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A month of so ago I noticed what looked like a long string in my cats eye. I thought it was just that; a piece of string, but the longer I looked at it, it didn't seem to have any fibrous material to it. It just looked clear and raised. So I did the one thing no one should; I google searched it and found "Thelazia."

By the time the weekend was over and the vet's office re-opened, the thing was gone. I thought maybe I had over-reacted and it really was just a string. A month later and I hadn't seen the 'string-thing' again... until this Saturday. It was back, and looked the same as before. But again, by the time Monday (today) rolled around, it was gone again. I called the vet this morning to tell him about what I'd been experiencing... and he laughed at me (which honestly felt a little insulting considering my level of concern). He said it was probably just a piece of trash, and that I should flush the cat's eye out when I get home (I'm pretty sure my cat isn't going to allow that to happen). It's just... it looks the exact same as it did before. It just doesn't seem like it's trash to me, especially when I keep the house clean and none of the other cats have a problem with it.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with Thelazia? Does the worm come and go? The vet told me to bring him in if it happens again... but I'm afraid I'm allowing more damage to happen to my cat by waiting any longer.

I'm honestly a little panicked. I don't want anything to happen to my cat's vision. Help?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like an episode from the TV show, “House.”

Lines in the Sand

Before we start worrying about parasites we should rule out other things, first.
Could your cat have gotten into some dust or dirt that left residue in her eyes?

If it is worms, they would certainly multiply and get worse over time.

You would also need to clean house, really well, in order to keep the parasites from multiplying and spreading to people.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a note...

I did some reading up on Thelazia and I found out that it is spread by flies.
I suppose that all it takes is one infected fly to spread the disease but I think that the chances of that happening are rather small.

Unless you live in a place where there are a lot of flies that get into the eyes, I'm willing to bet that Thalazia isn't to blame.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Eyeworm Disease (Thelaziasis) in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual.
If the link does not work, it is in the Merck Manual which you certainly may have already consulted.

Your vet should not have laughed. Period. Maybe he thought it was a comforting type laugh but usually we don't call doctors just for a chuckle.

I can't say if your cat has this or not, but I have to agree with Caspers Human Caspers Human that it is prevalent in certain areas, so check that out first. The Merck Manual includes a lot of other symptoms that go with the infestation and makes it sound as if it is probably more that, an infestation, rather than just one of them. It seems it might take more than one fly as well and you would have noticed a huge fly problem if there were one.

However, the vet can apparently apply a stain to check and, if you suspect an eye issue of any kind including one that you might have misdiagnosed, it does deserve consideration from the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never trust Dr. Google. If your vet is unconcerned, get a second opinion from another vet. Take a picture of the string-like thing the next time you see it. It may simply be cat fur in the eye or maybe a piece of your hair or other fine material.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It popped up again tonight and I was able to get a decent photo. It's always in the right eye.

I did have an issue with fruit flies a few months back due to the previous home owner leaving rat poison in the attic, but that has been taken care of. Being that it keeps happening in the same eye, I feel like that's not trash. He's squinting that eye right now, but that could be because I was trying to see if I could rub it out. No luck.

I've also noticed this seems to happen at night.

20201005_212409.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely looks like there is some foreign material in his eye but it's hard to tell what it is.
Removing it would be too delicate of an operation to do at home unless you know what you are doing.
Best to have an experienced person (vet) do it.

Can you send that picture to the vet?

Thelazia is species-specific to certain types of flies. Some species of thelazia are transmitted by common house flies. Other species are transmitted by different flies. It depends on what area you live in and what species of flies are present.

If you live in the western USA, the fly that causes it is a common house fly but, if you live in Europe, it would be a fruit fly.
In other areas, such as South America or India, different flies are involved.

Wikipedia has an article that lists the types of flies that transmit thelazia and the areas where they are prevalent.

The common thing between all species is that a fly lands on the animals (or person's) eye and tries to drink the tears. The parasite larva are transmitted when the fly tries to feed.

Basically, if you don't have a problem with flies in the area where you live, the chances of thelazia happening are small.

Still... If you can send that picture to your vet, I'm sure he could tell you more.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, it just looks like a piece of fur / hair or similar foreign object in the eye. I'd email the picture to the vet anyways. Your vet may recommend to flush the eye with sterile saline solution (not eye drops or similar product for people).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful picture! Definitely take that picture and show it to the vet for an opinion. It looks like a hair or a worm and must be figured out. how horrible! The fact that it is there for so long means it is not going away. Please keep us informed!

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the responses you've given. They've been very helpful. The vet's office opens in 10 minutes, and I plan to call and see if they will give me a way to send this photo to them (due to covid, they have the lobby closed).

I will let you all know what happens! Thanks again!

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
The vet said it's hard to tell with the photo, and it would be better to see in person. The vet said with it appearing and disappearing it could just be a hair, or it could be a scratch or an ulcer.

I never see it when the vet is open. So I guess I'm just in limbo.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet's office opens in 10 minutes, and I plan to call and see if they will give me a way to send this photo to them (due to covid, they have the lobby closed).
I guess you could say that one thing about this pandemic is that more doctors and vets are using the internet, sending pictures, to help diagnose problems and determine if treatment is needed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since the vet just kind of casually tossed off that it might be an ulcer, that should qualify as an emergency. Ask if you can come in right away the next time you see it, cat in hand.