theiving cat

moocowsdaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i know i just posted a few mins ago but i have another question.....

my girlfriends cat juniper just gave birth to 3 adorable kittens . but my girlfriends sons cat ginger keeps trying to take her baby from her and juniper is doing a fantastic job as a mommy cat. ginger had her own litter about 4 to 5 months ago and i didnt know if its jelousy that why she is taking them or is she trying to be a surroget mother juniper doesnt seem to mind her being around the kittens but im wiery about it . can someone please help

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site. I am sure Ginger is taking the kittens because she has strong maternal instincts and wants to mother them. If it stressing Juniper out or preventing the kittens from nursing I would separate them until the kittens are older. It might be a good idea to keep them separate so Juniper can focus on caring for her kittens.

P.S. I am going to ask a mod to move this to the pregnant cat and kittens forum where you can get more advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moocowsdaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I beleve ginger may be preganen t because the kittens where just nursing off of her n they had milk mustaches........... It was cute I'm not gonna lie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i know i just posted a few mins ago but i have another question.....

my girlfriends cat juniper just gave birth to 3 adorable kittens . but my girlfriends sons cat ginger keeps trying to take her baby from her and juniper is doing a fantastic job as a mommy cat. ginger had her own litter about 4 to 5 months ago and i didnt know if its jelousy that why she is taking them or is she trying to be a surroget mother juniper doesnt seem to mind her being around the kittens but im wiery about it .
It can depend on the exact situation and what they are doing.

If allowed, it is quite common mother cats do help each other, raising their litters together.  Or other cats helping. Even males can be help mothers.

So as long as the mom agrees, is not stressed, and the kittens get first classic care from both adults, everything is well and swell - you may allow it with good conscience.

But if Ginger is mostly bringing havoc into the situation, if the kittens dont get good care, and or Juniper is stressed by this...  You shall separate them.

Point number one is always, the mom and her kittens goes first, they must be unstressed.  Only their caretaker has a given right to be near them.  All others must earn for the chance to be near.

I hope my and Pandas answer helped you.    :)

And yes, it was good you asked your next question in another post.  Every different question in a different post with its describing title.   And sometimes it will be different subForum too...   :)

Welcome to TCS and our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moocowsdaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both your guys info has helped a lot. I will post pictures of the fluff balls soon.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep them apart and let the mother raise them properly. Hopefully your other cat isn't pregnant again, if she is nursing other kittens can bring on early labour or in some cases abortion.

If not, please get her spayed asap. The other litter and their mother can be done with the kittens are 10-12 weeks old. 

How are they getting pregnant? If you're allowing them outdoors please keep them in until they're spayed, if it's a male in your home he needs neutering and to be kept away from the girls for 8 weeks as his hormones will take that long to settle and he'll still be fertile in that time. 

Last edited: