The worst thing I have ever done to a cat

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our feral babies is named Al. She has been with us for over 2 1/2 years (ever since she was born) and we are still not allowed to pet her or to touch her in any way. She doesn't even allow us to look at her very much. Our washer and dryer is outside on the carport. I was putting clothes from the washer into the dryer. At some point, Al decided that she needed to be inside the dryer. I close the door and started it. She wasn't in it but for about 20 terrifying seconds. She now stays clear away from the dryer. She still likes to sleep on top of it however. I felt terrible.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once closed the door on one of my foster kittens' heads (neck) by mistake. I was so scared when I realized! I had them in my bedroom separate from my cats and I move them away from the door before I leave so I didn't realize one had dashed forward and stuck his head out when I was exiting the room, and I closed the door on him. Luckily the doors to my bedroom are loose double louvered doors (no latch) and I pulled it back open immediately so it did not hurt him. I've also accidentally locked a cat in a drawer. The drawer was slightly open so I closed it not realizing a cat was sleeping inside. Luckily she wasn't in there long.
My parents once left our family's dog outside in the snow and went out to the store. They didn't realize no one had let her back inside. Luckily she had really thick long fur.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Punkin used to travel with us in the truck, he loved to stick his head out when I put down the window at guard gates, etc.

One time, at the Dallas Bulk Mail Center, he had his head out the window when I went to roll it up. It didn't do him any damage, but it sure scared him (and me)!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am ashamed to admit, that i once (accidently) killed a kitten when i was little. We were at my moms friends house, her cat had just had a litter of kittens about a month or so before. The kittens were really small. Everyone left the house, so i left too, but was the last one out the door. I hadnt realized one of the kittens followed us, and was right behind me. I let the screen door slam behind me, and it slammed right on the kittens neck, HARD.
The kitten twitched for a couple of minutes, then passed away
. Even at that age i was a cat lover, so i was very traumatized after this, and still, to this day, get upset when i think about it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
when Cable was a kitten, i shut her between the glass storm door & the front door.
went looking for her, couldn't find her, could HEAR her... & that's where she was! it was winter - she was a little bit chilled...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PintaMeez

Yep, that's my worst, too... the dryer.

When Cally (RIP) was a tiny baby, she climbed into the dryer and I didn't notice. I loaded the clothes inside shut the door & turned it on.. and walked across the house before I finally heard "thump, thump" and a very upset kitty noise on top of that. I totally panicked, I FLEW across the house and opened the door... I had to dig around in the wet laundry to find my poor little girl. She was SOOO afraid, she ran across the hose and hid under the bed. I bawled my eyes out, of course, and I sat next to the bed, crying, trying to coax her out, and when she finally did, I cried even harder because she was just fine. Poor little girl. She never climbed in the dryer again, and I made sure all my cats knew the dryer was something to fear, and completely off-limits, after that incident.
What a nightmare! I have read that dryers are the number one cause of death for indoor only cats. When I read about that I put a sign right by the dryer's controls that says WHERE ARE THE CATS?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago we lived in an apartment on top of a business. DH and I were going out of town for a week and out landlord asked if it would be a good time to replace the extremely outdated windows that ran along the back of the apartment. I had some reservations about having people in there with Tailer while we were gone, but knowing our landlord's fondness for Tailer, I finally agreed. I asked my landlord to be extremely careful about keeping the doors closed to the three rooms that would be involved so that Tailer couldn't get into any trouble.

My sister was coming to feed Tailer and spend some time with him while we were gone. After a terribly stormy night, she arrived to feed him but she couldn't find him. She searched high and low and called him and called him. She could hear a very faint meowing, but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After much searching on my sister's part, she finally found a wet, cold, and terrified Tailer out on the back porch cowering under a bench out there.

The only thing we can figure out is that he must have managed to sneak into the bedroom and hide while my landlord was there, then came out and found his way out the window after they left. Once he got out on the porch, he must not have been able to remember his way back in.

Tailer's been terrified of storms ever since, so I get a good dose of guilt every time it rains.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

What a nightmare! I have read that dryers are the number one cause of death for indoor only cats. When I read about that I put a sign right by the dryer's controls that says WHERE ARE THE CATS?
When I was about 7 years old, we lost our cat Benson that way. The dryer was old and the door kept popping open while it was running. Apparently he climbed in there and my mom shut the door and turned it back on. My brother and I were the ones to find him later that night and it is not something you ever want to see.

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was getting food out of the fridge to make breakfast...didn't realise my kitty had jumped into the fridge (in front of the crisper shelf) - went to slam the door shut, heard and awful meow - kitty had been squashed by the door.

She was fine though! Still jumps in the fridge when I open it...

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last summer all the kids were outside running around, and it was just too loud, so I closed the front door. Then about 10 min. later, one of the kids knocked at the door to tell me my cat was shut between the door & the screen.
I felt silly, and Tuffy was fine.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few cats shut in the fridge, tonnes in the cupboards!

My big RB boy Lolly once was in the drier for a few minutes but thankfully we heard it thumping and got him out. He used to love sleeping on the towels in there.

The funniest was the other day when Mum was making herself a cup of coffee in the morning and she had my 9 month old girl Fluffy out. She drunk her coffee and could hear a faint crying to cut a long story short she woke me up and Chevy (our dog) started scratching at the drawer underneath the one Mum put her coffee back into. She was OK though

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer has been shut in the office a few times for a few hours and one time she snuck out into the hallway of our apartment building without our knowledge....she was out there 15-20 minutes before we realized we hadn't seen her in a bit.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a couch with recliners on each end downstairs and the cats were not allowed down there. My Tabitha got down there one time and I didn't know it. I was in the recliner reading and when I lowered the foot rest to get up I heard a horrible gurgling screech. Tabitha was caught by the neck between the moving bars. It was so tight she couldn't make any noise but this tiny screech. I didn't know which way to move it to realease her, if I went the wrong way it would break her neck. Luckily I did it right and released her. I was never so scared in my life! Recliners of any kind are forbidden in my house.

When I was about 10 my cat ran for the door to go out just as I was closing it. I didn't think anything of it but when I opened the door later the hair and skin from about 1/3 of her tail was laying there, no cat. I found her and we had to have the tail bone amputated.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Persi! At least you're not the only one to do something like that with your kitty!

My worst thing was at the shelter, I'd put some kittens in their cage with some tinned food which they normally go for, and closed the cage door, and it didn't close properly (they're notoriously sticky), so I slammed it a second time and heard a squeal, and realised it's because there was a kitten arm in the door

I damaged the poor little baby arm, and 2 days later when I was in, the poor thing was still hobbling around, but an ex-volunteer came in to look at kitty's and felt sorry for this little one, so chose that one and one of its siblings to adopt. So at least the injury results in a home, but boy did I feel bad.

With my girls, all I've managed to do is lock them in cupboards. Smudgey was stuck in our bedroom cupboards for a few hours just the other night.
I wish they didn't like sleeping in there!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My worst would have to be stepping on Bugsy. I actually step on him on a weekly basis to be honest but I am so used to it when I cook I am always sliding my feet so I really just lightly kick him.

He has this horrible habit that whenever I am cooking he will be very quiet and lay down behind me (trying to kill me? Lol) or when I am walking he will run between my legs… I don’t know why he does this. Capone does this too but he rubs up against me so I feel it, with Bugsy he does it so quiet I don’t know he’s there.

Anyway, one day I stepped on his little toe so hard he squealed, he ended up limping for about an hour =( I felt sooooo bad, boy did he ever get cuddles and treats that night lol. Has he learned? Nope! In fact this morning I shuffled over him. Its funny in the kitchen I automatically shuffle my feet now lol.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it has to be the time I accidently caught Jordans leg in the fridge door. He was probably about a year old and VERY naughty. I had the door open & he reached in through the gap on the hinged side of the fridge. I didn't notice & shut the door. All of a sudden he startes screaming & flailing around. I opened the door back up quickly & he ran off. It turned out he was fine, but I felt terrible. He never went near that side of the door again, but I always look for his paw now before closing the door.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, I was driving home and ran over a stray cat that suddenly dashed across the street.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I was going in to work half a shift (6 hours) for someone else one night. I tossed Miss Patchwillow back into the living room two or three times while I was trying to get out the door, but I finally made it. When I got home at 2:00 AM I opened the screen door and Lion jumped on my foot, scared me half to death. I felt really bad, he was only about 7 weeks old and it was 37 degrees out. There is about 8" between the two doors so he wasn't squished, but if I'd worked the full shift he would have been frozen. Of course the only thing he cared about was that all the other kitties were inside and he hadn't had anybody to play with for 7.5 hours.

A couple of days ago I chased all the kitties out of my office so I could close it up for the night. They're not allowed in here when I'm not with them. The door opens against the wall and one of the kittens had been playing in the space behind the door. I thought I saw her in the hallway so I started to close the door and heard a horrible screech. Cali was the one I'd seen in the hall and Iris was still behind the door, apparently sticking her paw through the crack on the hinge side. She sure got a lot of extra loving for her poor little paw, and boy did she ever play it up. Every time I looked at her for the next two hours she had her paw curled up off the floor. It didn't stop her from running across the room and wrestling with the other kittens when she thought I wasn't looking, though. By the next morning you would never have know she got hurt, so I'm guessing I didn't do any permanent damage. Oh, and she still likes to play behind the door.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I read that, too, and it really scared me. Shareena likes to burrow into the wet clothes for some reason. I used to just haul her out and start the dryer, which worked okay when she was my only kitten. Now I have so many I have to do a nose count. I'll close the dryer door and set all the controls, but don't push the start button until I've located all the kitties. One time I spent 15 minutes looking and could only find five cats. I even went back twice and dug through the wet clothes looking for the sixth cat. Finally located her sleeping on a windowsill where I could swear I had already looked three or four times.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I read that, too, and it really scared me. Shareena likes to burrow into the wet clothes for some reason. I used to just haul her out and start the dryer, which worked okay when she was my only kitten. Now I have so many I have to do a nose count. I'll close the dryer door and set all the controls, but don't push the start button until I've located all the kitties. One time I spent 15 minutes looking and could only find five cats. I even went back twice and dug through the wet clothes looking for the sixth cat. Finally located her sleeping on a windowsill where I could swear I had already looked three or four times.
mine aren't allowed in the laundry room... this is just one of the reasons.