The white coconut cake bit the dust

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Never to be seen again. Or at least not for a long while. I called the bakery and they're no longer doing cakes. They stopped before Rick's mom's birthday back in October and haven't started back up. No cake decorators due to Covid.

That means that, unless I make it, there will be no white coconut cake for Christmas.

My problem is that I will already have two desserts: Rick's cheesecake and a gluten-free (GF) small peanut butter cake with GF peanut butter frosting for our DIL who is strictly GF. It seems so silly to make a coconut cake on top of it all. So I was thinking of saving it for my birthday next month.

Crap.

Then again, if that's my biggest problem, I'm pretty darn lucky!

But still....

Crap.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how many people you are having, and how long they are staying. Since Rick won't eat it and your guests sound like they can't, I'd probably wait until my birthday and indulge!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry. I hate when that happens. I have no doubt that the one you make will be at least as good if not better. Making your own birthday cake is a bummer. I won't do it. I'm not the biggest cake fan anyway. I always made whatever cake or dessert DH and DD wanted for their birthday but never made one on mine. If y'all want cake you can make it or buy one. I'm off today. :lol:

Eta: here's another option for ordering A cake. Coconut Cake Delivery—German Chocolate Cake, Layer Cake & Moregs

The one that catches my attention is the toasted coconut cake from Misha's Cupcakes in Miami. I don't love coconut but I do like it and I would try that one.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do a pina colada cake that everyone loves. If doing a coconut cake is special and requested, I would just go ahead and make it. I like to do a "poke cake" to make it moist by adding either a can of pina colada mix or the same with regular coconut. I cheat by using a white box cake mix and frozen coconut flakes. Nothing to it and it's a big hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Those cake ordering places are.....just.....wow! WOW!
The Daisy cake from Goldbelly is probably the closest to the bakery here. But I am really tempted by the Coconut Lemon Delight.
I can't afford the Ultimate Coconut Cake!!

My recipe was originally from America's Test Kitchen. It calls for cream of coconut in both the cake and the frosting. And coconut extract. It is decadent. I put coconut between the layers with the frosting. If you don't like coconut, you won't like this cake. Sometimes I put lemon curd between the layers instead of the frosting.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those cake ordering places are.....just.....wow! WOW!
The Daisy cake from Goldbelly is probably the closest to the bakery here. But I am really tempted by the Coconut Lemon Delight.
I can't afford the Ultimate Coconut Cake!!

My recipe was originally from America's Test Kitchen. It calls for cream of coconut in both the cake and the frosting. And coconut extract. It is decadent. I put coconut between the layers with the frosting. If you don't like coconut, you won't like this cake. Sometimes I put lemon curd between the layers instead of the frosting.
Imagine what the shipping is on the ones that don't offer it for free. :running:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Imagine what the shipping is on the ones that don't offer it for free. :running:
I know! I had to pay for shipping for Rick's cheesecake and I thought it was a little ridiculous. Then when they delivered two cheesecakes by accident, I felt that, well, the shipping wasn't too bad. :)

But some of those, I cringe to think about shipping.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know! I had to pay for shipping for Rick's cheesecake and I thought it was a little ridiculous. Then when they delivered two cheesecakes by accident, I felt that, well, the shipping wasn't too bad. :)

But some of those, I cringe to think about shipping.
They just sent me a code for $25 off. I'm not going to use it if you want to use it. I have no idea if it's a one time use or not. 9a514232.